Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:57:27 pm

Author Topic: (civil engineering) Monash vs RMIT vs Melbourne vs Swinburne Universities  (Read 3323 times)  Share 

abhi223

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Distance: (using public transport)(one way journey)(made sure they were the right campuses)
Swinburne: 35 mins
Melbourne University: 55 mins
RMIT: 40 mins
Monash: 55 mins
So I have done my research and it suggest that Swin, RMIT and Monash are just better in general in terms of satisfaction and post graduate salary and stuff in general like that. I also read that people were talking about the significance of reduced travelling time and pointed out that it is very important since Civil engineering is a demanding subject. Based off of the general research and people's concerns to do with travelling, Swinburne seems like the better option for me but I am concerned about its reputation and its effect on my search for employment later on. I am not saying that Swinburne is bad or anything but i rarely hear people talking about it and hear about the other three top dogs above. I am only distressed about the fact that the other universities require an atar much higher than that needed to get into Swinburne as well. Do employers prefer an employee who studied in a reputed University or an employee who did a bit more work experience but studied in a average reputed Uni (Swinburne)? (Once again by any means I do not dislike Swinburne in any way :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Distance: (using public transport)(one way journey)(made sure they were the right campuses)
Swinburne: 35 mins
Melbourne University: 55 mins
RMIT: 40 mins
Monash: 55 mins
So I have done my research and it suggest that Swin, RMIT and Monash are just better in general in terms of satisfaction and post graduate salary and stuff in general like that. I also read that people were talking about the significance of reduced travelling time and pointed out that it is very important since Civil engineering is a demanding subject. Based off of the general research and people's concerns to do with travelling, Swinburne seems like the better option for me but I am concerned about its reputation and its effect on my search for employment later on. I am not saying that Swinburne is bad or anything but i rarely hear people talking about it and hear about the other three top dogs above. I am only distressed about the fact that the other universities require an atar much higher than that needed to get into Swinburne as well. Do employers prefer an employee who studied in a reputed University or an employee who did a bit more work experience but studied in a average reputed Uni (Swinburne)? (Once again by any means I do not dislike Swinburne in any way :)
Given someone were to achieve the atar engineering monash would be most people's preference although RMIT also has a v.good engineering course (although "less prestigous" uni - but this shouldn't matter in your choice) and UoM doesn't have undergrad engineering. Monash would be a couple hours extra travel a week, so upto you on how important that is.  Swinburne I don't know much about it but apparently they either don't have a methods prerequisite or a 20 in methods (bottom 7%) is enough for engineering which is a bit of a red flag imo.

abhi223

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Given someone were to achieve the atar engineering monash would be most people's preference although RMIT also has a v.good engineering course (although "less prestigous" uni - but this shouldn't matter in your choice)

I am a bit unclear as to what you mean here
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:04:16 pm by abhi223 »