Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:48 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596251 times)  Share 

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2325 on: April 26, 2018, 07:54:52 pm »
+1
I hope these helped! :)
Of course they did!! :)
You've made things super clear!!
Thank you so much for typing all this up! I really appreciate it! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

TheBamboozler

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2326 on: May 02, 2018, 10:19:37 pm »
Hello.

Could somebody explain to me why a defendant not having any assets in Australia would discourage a plaintiff from making a civil claim.
I don't really understand what this means, so any help would be appreciated.
VCE:

English [40], Math Methods [34], Psychology [39], Legal Studies [41], VCE VET Information Technology [40]

ATAR: [90.60 I'm so happy!]

Probably software engineering at RMIT

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2327 on: May 02, 2018, 10:28:25 pm »
+1
Hello.

Could somebody explain to me why a defendant not having any assets in Australia would discourage a plaintiff from making a civil claim.
I don't really understand what this means, so any help would be appreciated.
Hey!
So this is just something that needs to be considered before initiating a civil claim.
If the defendant doesn't have any assets (e.g. monetary assets or they've just immigrated and hence find it hard to source things for their life, let alone pay compensatory damages to the plaintiff), then there's no point initiating a claim against them.
They won't be able to pay the full amount or not on time things like that.
So then the plaintiff would take the claim to mediation, conciliation or arbitration (where the plaintiff can settle with an injunction only to get things going smoother)

More than happy to be corrected by anyone though! :)
If anyone wants to build on what I said as well or change it, please feel free to do so!

But hope this has started you off :)

2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

TheBamboozler

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2328 on: May 03, 2018, 03:47:49 pm »
One more question regarding the jurisdiction of CAV.
The example states that Geraldine's application to rent a property was denied, Geraldine claims that the landlord discriminated against her because of her age.
Would this example be covered in CAV's jurisdiction?
VCE:

English [40], Math Methods [34], Psychology [39], Legal Studies [41], VCE VET Information Technology [40]

ATAR: [90.60 I'm so happy!]

Probably software engineering at RMIT

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2329 on: May 03, 2018, 04:16:30 pm »
One more question regarding the jurisdiction of CAV.
The example states that Geraldine's application to rent a property was denied, Geraldine claims that the landlord discriminated against her because of her age.
Would this example be covered in CAV's jurisdiction?
No I don't think so. Because this is now a discrimination case. CAV only deals with commercial disputes, sales of products and goods...as you know, but nothing to do with discrimination.
If this was a dispute without the discrimination part, then yes, CAV would have heard it because it can hear landlord-tenant disputes.

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2330 on: May 06, 2018, 09:25:52 pm »
+1
What’s the best way to study for a legal sac?

AoS2 sac is in a few weeks and I’m wanting to starting studying now because we have all our sacs in the one go.

I’ve started practice questions, the discuss stuff, it’s a bit difficult though getting feedback my teacher takes a while to return the work 😩😩
Hey!
Yeah same, my SAC's in a few weeks and it's all combined!! So the whole civil law unit! So I guess a lot of pressure, but it's good because the exam that tests both U3/4 isn't going to be split up right?!!  ;)
So a more authentic way of SAC preparation.
And yeah same thing, I'm got HEAPS of SACs before my Legal SAC, HEAPS of memorising to do for every subject.
What I'm trying to do each day though is read a small section of the relevant textbook chapter each day, so I don't lose track of the legal content.
Some days I just get like a 4 line paragraph read  ::) whilst other days (especially weekends) I try and write 2 questions.
My teacher takes AGES to mark our practice responses as well, so at the moment, just store them somewhere safe and perhaps ask your teacher for lunchtime help sessions?
OR, the best thing, why not post one of your responses on this thread so everyone here on AN legal fam can give you some feedback?!   :D
I certainly love giving feedback because it helps me learn, since I'm doing Year 12 Legal as well!
(far from perfect at it, but you know, we can all support each other :)

Perhaps start make summary paras (make them small but efficient because I know you must be having a lot of SACs too,) and then test yourself each day. Perhaps start making links to the principles of justice? (A mindmap is a really good way to get everything on paper, because this'll force you write everything that you know, instead of just storing it somewhere on your laptop!)

Once again, this thread's a great way to clarify any doubts you may have about the content, how to answer questions or like I said, just post your responses! (that's if you feel comfortable of course, absolutely no compulsion at all! :)

Thanks!

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #2331 on: May 11, 2018, 05:28:14 pm »
Can someone please explain how the burden of proof in a civil trial achieves fairness?

justfermions

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2332 on: May 11, 2018, 09:30:12 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain how the burden of proof in a civil trial achieves fairness?

Hello
Pretty much it achieves fairness because the burden of proof rests with the plaintiff, if the burden of proof was on the defendant then it's basically implying that the defendant is guilty and needs to prove otherwise - which means the defendant is not treated impartially (and impartiality is an aspect of fairness). It's like how in a criminal trial reversing the burden of proof would undermine the presumption of innocence.
Hope that made sense and that's just how I'd answer it at least but happy to be corrected    ;D

madhu04

• Adventurer
« Reply #2333 on: May 15, 2018, 12:43:11 am »
Hey can someone please help me with some similarities and differences between criminal jury and civil jury?

Thank you  :)   :D

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2334 on: May 15, 2018, 05:16:04 pm »
+2
Hey can someone please help me with some similarities and differences between criminal jury and civil jury?

Hey!
This is a pretty simple question, so it would be great if you could show what you've got so far. After you've done all you can with the question, we can help you. For example, the number of jury members impaneled in a criminal versus civil jury? :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #2335 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23:54 pm »
+2

Like Poet has already encouraged, try and show some early thinking. If you are looking to clarify some ambiguities, however, I'd recommend that you look at VCAA's direct assessment of this area, here at question 6 .
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

lanitresidder

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2336 on: May 16, 2018, 11:44:09 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for answering extended response questions, particularly regarding the structure of questions six marks and above?

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2337 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51:59 pm »
Hi all,
I just needed clarification on how to answer questions:

If you have a question that says "discuss to what extent..." (which is like two task words 'discuss' and 'to what extent' combined) do you have to write both strengths and weaknesses?
Or do you just keep proving 'to what extent' do you agree/ disagree?

And just generally, do you have to write weaknesses even if you agree to a high extent that something is effective?

Thanks guys! :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2338 on: May 26, 2018, 12:40:44 am »
+1
Hi all,
I just needed clarification on how to answer questions:

If you have a question that says "discuss to what extent..." (which is like two task words 'discuss' and 'to what extent' combined) do you have to write both strengths and weaknesses?
Or do you just keep proving 'to what extent' do you agree/ disagree?

And just generally, do you have to write weaknesses even if you agree to a high extent that something is effective?

Thanks guys! :)

It depends on the exact wording of the question: sometimes you can take just one side. I think it's always strategically smarter to at least do a little of each, though; plus, you use more of your notes.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

You dont know me

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #2339 on: June 02, 2018, 12:35:07 pm »
Hello all! How long should I take per mark (on average) to answer a question in an exam or sac?

Thanks,
Selby  ;D
Currently studying:
-Legal Studies U3
-Biology U3
-Pyschology U3
-General Maths U3
-English U3
Check out my VCE journey