Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:32:09 pm

Author Topic: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program  (Read 17781 times)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:50:18 pm »
+9
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but it applies to year 10's so I figured here would do :)

Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars program is run by Melbourne Uni. They run both academic and personal development events for participants throughout VCE, and can assist with studying at Melbourne Uni. The program is open to all Victorian year 10's and at least one student from every Victorian High school is chosen provided they apply.

The Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program is an academic enrichment program designed to support high achieving Victorian Year 11 and Year 12, and select secondary students living close to the New South Wales and South Australian borders.

If you're eligible, you'll get the exciting opportunity of experiencing university life and taking part in a range of academic events and activities, facilities to help you achieve your best – plus get a head start on your future studies and career!

When you finish your secondary studies, you could also be offered a guaranteed place in an undergraduate degree, financial assistance to move to Melbourne, and an overseas scholarship during your studies.

How to apply:

If you're a Year 10 student
1. Get your school's endorsement: this required in your application. Schools can endorse a maximum of five applicants so make sure you speak to your teachers about this early.
2. Prepare and have the right information for your application, view our sample application. Take some time to think about the questions and get a teacher or parent to check over what you've written before you submit it.
3. Apply online before the cut-off date of mid-October. We will ask you to tell us about yourself (i.e. your role models, goals, biggest challenge you have faced so far) and any extra-curricular activities you are involved in.

Applications for this are open now :) More info here

I haven't done this, but I'm sure there's people on here who have if you have questions
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 06:23:07 pm »
+6
I did this (it's how I found AN),  and so did a bunch of other forum members.

There aren't heaps of events,  but I found the student community to be quite valuable :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 02:18:43 pm »

How did AN come up?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 04:27:39 pm »
+4
How did AN come up?

One of the other forum members (Hydroxyl I think) who was also in my KLD cohort asked who else was going to the free atarnotes lectures on the holidays, and I was shocked that VCE lectures existed - let alone free ones - so I looked into it.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 04:33:00 pm »
+3
One of the other forum members (Hydroxyl I think) who was also in my KLD cohort asked who else was going to the free atarnotes lectures on the holidays, and I was shocked that VCE lectures existed - let alone free ones - so I looked into it.

A great love story!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 05:09:37 pm »
Looks like a pretty good program!

What's the maximum amount of student's the uni will accept? So 1 is the minimum, what would the maximum be, per school, or would it depend?

What kinds of things do we need to put on the application? Awards; community involvement? What counts as community involvement?

Thanks! Good luck to all applying. Hope others can benefit from the answers to these questions...
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:31:20 pm »
+5
A great love story!

There are actually two sets of couples from my KLD cohort who are now engaged. Now that's a great love story (and another reason to join KLD!). :p
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 07:52:09 pm »
+6

What's the maximum amount of student's the uni will accept? So 1 is the minimum, what would the maximum be, per school, or would it depend?

What kinds of things do we need to put on the application? Awards; community involvement? What counts as community involvement?

Thanks! Good luck to all applying. Hope others can benefit from the answers to these questions...

For my year I think the max was three.

Definitely awards and community involvement. If you do sports,  extracurriculars etc list those.

For my community involvement I had listed:
Spoiler
- Melton botanical grasslands conservation project (grade 5)
- student council (grade 5-6), school captain (grade 6)
- coburn leadership award (grade 6)
- lions club and community involvement & leadership award (year 7)
- class captain (year 7)
- alpine school for student leadership (year 9)
- participation award high resolves leadership/ global citizenship program (year 9)
- school band (year 8-10)
- student voice and student representative council (year 7 - 10)

I also know people who got in with many less "dotpoints" and wouldn't stress over the amount. I hope that this gives you an idea of what you can include (but there are also things not on that list,  such as sport, which are highly regarded)

Unicorn99

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »
+1

Yeah so for my school campus, only 1 person was selected (being me) but I recognise that they may be because I go to a small school. Also, I think it's important for your application to show who you truly are through your leadership and community roles (like winning a council award or getting an academic scholarship), which help show that you are deserving to be a Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholar.  Also show your major awards in your application because it shows that you are proud of them but also that you worked hard to achieve them. Most importantly, don't avoid the get to know you section in the KLD application because remember, this is how they distinguish your role and personality among the hundreds of other students that have applied for this program.

Hope that helps to other future KLD applicants and I hope you get selected.  :)

Good Luck !!!

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 10:24:57 pm »

There aren't heaps of events,  but I found the student community to be quite valuable :)

Do you any tips as to how to make your application stand out?

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 10:57:15 pm »
+3
Do you any tips as to how to make your application stand out?

My sister was a part of the KLD program, and I remember for her application she had listed a TON of leadership and volunteering experiences (very similar to what Bri listed above). The thing about KLD and other similar programs, is that most (if not all) applicants are very strong when it comes to academics but you have to demonstrate your strength outside of book knowledge in order to stand out. Essentially, show that you are not only a capable student but also capable of helping others.

Continuing with all the fascinating love stories from above, my sister met her boyfriend through KLD. It was also where my girlfriend met her ex. The social aspects of this program sounds spicy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:18:18 pm by hums_student »
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 11:10:15 pm »
My sister was a part of the KLD program, and I remember for her application she had listed a TON of leadership and volunteering experiences (very similar to what Bri listed above). The thing about KLD and other similar programs, is that most (if not all) applicants are very strong when it comes to academics but you have to demonstrate your strength outside of book knowledge in order to stand out. Essentially, show that you are not only a capable student but also capable of helping others.

Continuing with all the fascinating love stories from above, my sister met her boyfriend through KLD. It was also where my current girlfriend met her ex. The social aspects of this program sounds spicy.

I currently have a minor leadership role and also had a leadership role last year.
Just a question, from what year level should we list our leadership positions and co-curricular activities?
But, for volunteering I feel like I have't really done anything.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:44:43 pm by Snow Leopard »

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 01:42:03 pm »
+3
I currently have a minor leadership role and also had a leadership role last year.
Just a question, from what year level should we list our leadership positions and co-curricular activities?
I’m an ex-Kwonger myself and up until Year 10 I had no real leadership or volunteering roles, beyond one minor one. In Year 10, I had two leadership roles (one major, one minor) and had been at a Japanese Immersion camp (technically representing my school) and that got me through.

I don’t think the application states when leadership/ extracurricular activities must come from, but I’d be more inclined to say anything that’s since you’ve started high school would be fine.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 02:10:50 pm »
+3

I think in my application I went back to grade 5 - I dot-pointed everything I thought might be relevant. I really wouldn't stress too much if you feel you can't address everythingt, just put in what you can and see how it goes :)

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 09:45:28 pm »
+1
Just want to revive this thread as applications have opened recently!
Wishing everybody luck with their applications  ;D