Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:10 pm

Author Topic: Should I study as hard on a failing subject when I have 12 units  (Read 917 times)

Asereta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: GRC Penshurst
  • School Grad Year: 2018
So, I have 12 units at the moment and Maths Adv happens to be my worst subject with my 1st test getting around 70-80% and my latest test getting 67%. Those assessments have already been around 50% of my assessment mark. I'm only keeping Maths Adv because it's a pre-requisite for some of the courses I want to do in USYD and also because some of the courses I want to do have it as presumed knowledge and while I know there are bridging courses I figure I can just learn the content at school instead of spending money on those courses.

So, should I spend an equal amount of effort on all 12 units or just the 10 units and a slight effort on the 12 units? Does my HSC which has the bands of the subjects impact me in anyway in the future. Do any universities use that or is it just the ATAR that universities use. Is there any circumstance in which either international universities or Australian universities would use your HSC

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Should I study as hard on a failing subject when I have 12 units
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:32:06 pm »
+4
Hey!

I'll address the questions you're asking :-)

Should I spend an equal amount of effort on all 12 units or just the 10 units and a slight effort on the 12 units?
For sure! You don't know what could happen - who knows, maths could count towards your ATAR. It's worth it at the end anyway, knowing you got through all your subjects and maintained that effort all the way through.

Does my HSC which has the bands of the subjects impact me in anyway in the future? Do any universities use that or is it just the ATAR that universities use?
Unis tend to use ATARs, but there are pathways which don't really need your ATAR (early entry looks at marks). Bands in HSC subjects are usually used for bonus points, so for example: Band 4 = 1 bonus point, Band 5 = 2 bonus points, Band 6 = 3 bonus points. These bonus points help you out a bit for entry, as they add on to your ATAR. A lot of the time people get into courses using their ATAR and bonus points, so that's that.

Is there any circumstance in which either international universities or Australian universities would use your HSC?
Um... I honestly don't know. 😂It's probably just your ATAR.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »
So, I have 12 units at the moment and Maths Adv happens to be my worst subject with my 1st test getting around 70-80% and my latest test getting 67%. Those assessments have already been around 50% of my assessment mark. I'm only keeping Maths Adv because it's a pre-requisite for some of the courses I want to do in USYD and also because some of the courses I want to do have it as presumed knowledge and while I know there are bridging courses I figure I can just learn the content at school instead of spending money on those courses.

So, should I spend an equal amount of effort on all 12 units or just the 10 units and a slight effort on the 12 units? Does my HSC which has the bands of the subjects impact me in anyway in the future. Do any universities use that or is it just the ATAR that universities use. Is there any circumstance in which either international universities or Australian universities would use your HSC

Hi...

I definitely agree with fb3 on this one  :D.

Just wanted to add, USYD have introduced the prerequisite of Mathematics Band 4 for many of their courses, starting from 2019. I would encourage you to check whether this affects the courses you have been looking at - if it does, then you definitely wouldn't want to ride off Maths...  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 05:45:50 pm »
Is there any circumstance in which either international universities or Australian universities would use your HSC
Hey there,
For international universities, it may depend which uni you're looking into but I know for Cambridge, they only use your ATAR (they set the same 98 ATAR cut off every year) but it's a really long process of sending in your work and having to go to an interview to Cambridge (or pretty sure Singapore and Hong Kong- they won't send representatives directly to Australia).

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW