Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:42:50 am

Author Topic: Is this answer wrong?  (Read 636 times)  Share 

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Is this answer wrong?
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:26:13 pm »
13   Which one of the following statements about the blind spot is accurate?   

a) It is a point on the retina containing only cones and therefore it does not detect light.

b) It is a region of the retina containing only rod receptors and therefore it does not detect light.

c) It is a point in the fovea that is blind to any visual stimuli.

d) It is a point on the retina containing no rods or cones and therefore it does not detect light.

Question 13
The right answer was It is a point on the retina containing no rods or cones and therefore it does not detect light.

.... because i thought that it atleast had either cones or rods? I would have asked my teach but she is was not here today and we dont have her for the rest of the week. I mean without cones or rods how does it detect anything?

(PS- i got this from the cambridge website)

daniel99

Re: Is this answer wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:33 pm »
A blind spot in the eye  is an area with no photoreceptors at all e.g. no rods and cones..

Therefore, the answer is correct.

Because the photoreceptors detect electromagnetic energy (light) and there are non in a particular spot, a blind spot is therefore created. 

It has something to do with the optic nerve leaving the eye and thats why the particular area contains no receptors, but most of the eye has either rods or cones within it.