Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:20:25 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of International Studies confusion.  (Read 7876 times)  Share 

Donutseatnut

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: FCJ College Benalla
Bachelor of International Studies confusion.
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:23:33 pm »
Hi everyone! :)

I finish Year 12 last year not so sure as what I wanted to do. As I progressed through school I developed an interest in both Theology and working abroad. My career dream as such is that of peacemaking in terms of religious tensions, maybe working with a multilateral organisation such as the U.N. etc.
During the application period last year I applied for a Bachelor of Arts (Global) at Monash and was accepted. But I didn't think it was entirely for me and eventually applied for a discontinuation of my course.

Now I'm at the application process again, and I'm sort of stuck. I've seen some very cool courses and am especially interested in the Bachelor of International Studies at Deakin as it seems right up my alley, but again I'm not so sure if it'll help with employment etc. (All those silly worries).

I was wondering if anyone have any feedback about that course, or maybe about a different course entirely? As I'm just really quite unsure.

Thank you!  :)

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
Re: Bachelor of International Studies confusion.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »
+1
Apply to the ANU - it is far and away the best international relations degree you can get in Australia (and probably the Southern Hemisphere, for that matter).

http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/program/BIR

If you're dead set on working for the UN though, best to either have an incredibly impressive resume, or combine your degree with something else (probably Law or Economics).  If peacemaking is your thing also consider Security Studies (which is also incredibly well taught at the ANU).
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

BucketPreacher

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: -3
  • School: -
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:47:47 pm »
Apply to the ANU - it is far and away the best international relations degree you can get in Australia (and probably the Southern Hemisphere, for that matter).

http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/program/BIR

If you're dead set on working for the UN though, best to either have an incredibly impressive resume, or combine your degree with something else (probably Law or Economics).  If peacemaking is your thing also consider Security Studies (which is also incredibly well taught at the ANU).

Shit. I want to do International Studies, and I want to go to ANU as well but I don't want to move away from Melbourne to Canberra. If by some slight chance I get the 89 ATAR requirement, there is zero chance I could really do anything other than Arts with it (Although I want to do law but won't have the ATAR by tenfold).

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 06:55:40 pm »
^if you ever want to work in anything IR-based, you'll have to get used to moving around a lot.  If there's a good reason for why you can't move in the short term though, then I understand - I would personally recommend you just do a regular BA tbh.  What turned you off the Monash Global Arts course?
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

BucketPreacher

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: -3
  • School: -
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »
^if you ever want to work in anything IR-based, you'll have to get used to moving around a lot.  If there's a good reason for why you can't move in the short term though, then I understand - I would personally recommend you just do a regular BA tbh.  What turned you off the Monash Global Arts course?
Yeah well I'm only 18 still living with my parents. Living by myself, let alone in another state would be something I would jump on in a heartbeat but I don't think I could live with myself moving away from my dog; it's sort of just mine, and if I could bring her up to Canberra and live in one of the accommodation things that would be basically a dream come true as living in a college seems amazing ... but uhh. Weight of pros and cons.

I'm pretty sure Global arts is only in Malaysia or something if my memory serves me correctly? I have Monash Arts at both campuses on my VTAC preferences as well, as I would be choosing International Relations or studies or whatever. I just have wanted to go to ANU since I found out about it but ARGHHH!! 

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:39:54 pm »
I'm pretty sure Global arts is only in Malaysia or something if my memory serves me correctly?

Nope, BA (Global), and associated double degrees, are offered locally as well.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:07:56 pm »
^ That. They are definitely offered at Clayton as well.

B.A (Global) requires you to major in International Studies and study overseas, so I'm not sure why you thought it wasnt a good option but I.S at Deakin was? You can always Double Major with Politics or International Relations or a language, similar to what is offered at Deakin.

2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

kandinsky

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:09:32 pm »

I finish Year 12 last year not so sure as what I wanted to do. As I progressed through school I developed an interest in both Theology and working abroad. My career dream as such is that of peacemaking in terms of religious tensions, maybe working with a multilateral organisation such as the U.N. etc.
During the application period last year I applied for a Bachelor of Arts (Global) at Monash and was accepted. But I didn't think it was entirely for me and eventually applied for a discontinuation of my course.

Now I'm at the application process again, and I'm sort of stuck. I've seen some very cool courses and am especially interested in the Bachelor of International Studies at Deakin as it seems right up my alley, but again I'm not so sure if it'll help with employment etc. (All those silly worries).

I was wondering if anyone have any feedback about that course, or maybe about a different course entirely? As I'm just really quite unsure.

Just a random point.

You should think about why you want to work for the UN and the whole NATO/EU/IMF conglomerate.

As difficult as this is for me to say, they are all rather sinister organisations. If you want to work in aid/humanitarian stuff, don't work for them. Work for other organisations instead. There are many organisations that don't have the dodgy behind-the-scenes-unelected- bureaucracy that the organisations listed above have.

If you want to know why I said the above, PM me and I'll send you a whole bunch of info when I get time. The idea of 'peacemaking' through NATO/UN is a farce; every day they announce the aim to make 'world peace' and end starvation and save all children, and yet they still fund and are funded by huge weapons companies and call for war without proper analysis of circumstances. The recent NATO 'war talks' about Russia are a clear example of this.

Actually I'll just paste some stuff below.

These are some quotes from prominent EU proponents and illustrate their over-arching arrogance:

"We are working discreetly ........ and all the time we are denying with our lips what we are doing with our hands." - Arnold Toynbee - Historical researcher and founding father of the EU

"I have never understood why public opinion about European ideas should be taken into account." - Raymond Barre, former French Prime Minister

The following quote is from the founder of the European Movement, Jean Monnet in a private correspondence.

"Europe's nations should be guided towards the super state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation."

Jean Monnet again on 3rd April 1952: "The fusion of economic functions would compel nations to fuse their sovereignty into that of a single European State"

"It is as well to state this at the outset - no government dependent on a democratic vote could possibly agree in advance to the sacrifices which any adequate plan for European Union must involve. The people must be led slowly and unconsciously into the abandonment of their traditional economic defences....... No satisfactory economic plan for Europe can be devised without sacrifice of sovereignty by the nations concerned." - Peter Thorneycroft MP, June 1947

"I have never understood why public opinion about European ideas should be taken into account." - Raymond Barre, former French Prime Minister

This was Edward Heath in 1972:

"There is no question of eroding any national sovereignty; there is no blueprint for a federal Europe. There are some in this country who fear that in going into Europe, we shall in some way sacrifice independence and sovereignty. These fears I need hardly say are completely unjustified"

He later admitted to lying to both parliament and the British people. The same Edward Heath in 1990, in response to the question "Did you have in mind a United States of Europe in 1972?" replied "Of course, yes"

"Transforming the European Union into a single State with one army, one constitution and one foreign policy is the critical challenge of the age" - Joschka Fischer, German Foreign Minister The Guardian, London, 26th November 1998

"The Europe of Maastricht could only have been created in the absence of democracy." - Clause Cheysson, former French Foreign Secretary

"Above all, the European Economic Community Takes away Britain's freedom to follow the sort of economic policies we need." - Tony Blair, when standing for Parliament in 1982

"We'll negotiate a withdrawal from the EEC, which has drained our natural resources and destroyed jobs." - Tony Blair, when standing for Parliament in 1997

Then, Tony Blair, speaking to the EU in 2005: "I am a passionate pro-European. I always have been."

"We know that nine out of 10 people will not have read the Constitution and will vote on the basis of what politicians and journalists say. More than that, if the answer is No, the vote will probably have to be done again, because it absolutely has to be Yes. " - Jean-Luc Dehaene, Former Belgian Prime Minister and Vice-President of the EU Convention, Irish Times, 2nd June 2004

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:12:06 pm by kandinsky »

walkec

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:55 pm »

Maybe also look at courses that offer International Studies combined with Applied Public Health or Health Science?