Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:46 pm

Author Topic: Psychology Q&A with the ATAR Notes Psych Lecturer  (Read 16097 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Psychology Q&A with the ATAR Notes Psych Lecturer
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:05:43 pm »
+8

Yoooooo what up, fam?

Get a load of this. On Sunday 9 April, the ATAR Notes Psychology lecturer will be answering all of your Psych questions in this thread here. We're giving you a day or two to get your questions in, and then Tim Howe (or howey, as he's known on the forums) will be giving you all the information you need to do well in Psych this year.

Want to know how to effectively study to ensure a 40+ raw? Tim can tell you.
Want to clarify content on any of the information in the study design? Tim can do that for you.
Want to ask Tim how he's become such a heartthrob since working with ATAR Notes? Please, go for it!

With an ATAR of 98.65 and a raw Psych study score of 48, Tim's the perfect person for this thread. So get your questions in - and then, on Sunday, Tim will get them back to you! ;D

P.S. Tim graduated in 2015, and has since lectured literally thousands of students for Psych and PE. He's a Western Bulldogs supporter, but I guess nobody can be perfect.

IMPORTANT: In order to ask a question, you will have to click here and make an ATAR Notes account.

Then - just hit the 'reply' button, as shown in the image below:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:55:06 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
Re: Psychology Q&A with the ATAR Notes Psych Lecturer
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:18:14 am »
+3
Hey! I have a few questions:

How early did you start actual exam prep?

What process did you go through when correcting your responses in practice questions (to perfect your answers)?

If you could change anything about the way you studied for psych, what would it be?

If you had to give one piece of advice/tip for getting 45+ in psych, what would it be?

Did you revise all the content you had learnt regularly?

Thanks!! :)

student1011

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:29:37 am »
+3
Hello,

Yes I've got a few questions...

1. If there are content on the study design, let's say we don't understand, how would you go about revising for the content?

2. If you got a low mark on psych or a lower mark than expected how would you motivate yourself to keep going?

3. Finally how would you word your answers to get full marks in questions?

Thank you!

Ambergower

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:31:01 am »
+3
What is the best way to study and what scores are needed on SACS to reach a 40 Study Score Please  :D

Gracexx

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:00 am »
+3
Hey!
I have a few questions for you;

What's the best way do you think to learn and retain information?

What's the best way to study?

When do you start your actual exam preparation for psychology?

Did handwritten or typed notes work best for you?

Did you have a psychology tutor? If so, do you think it was worth it?

Best strategies leading up to the exam?

How should we approach the end of year exam? Any tips?

Did you go to any psychology lectures? If so, which ones are the most worth it to attend?

Thanks in advance!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:58:20 am »
+1
Great questions thus far! I know that Tim/howey is champing at the bit to answer these. ;D

And welcome to the ATAR Notes Forums for those who have just signed up (student1011, Ambergower, Gracexx). Let us know if you need any help navigating your way around. :)

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 01:10:18 pm »
+3
Hey Howey,
I have a few questions:
How do I learn to answer questions on the exam to ensure I get full marks?
How do I answer the 10 mark question in the research methods section?
This year there is a new study design for psychology, this means I have no resources to practice on! Do you recommend any sites to visit or books to purchase that can help me?

Thanks for you time Howey! :)
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

laaawang

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03:06 pm »
+2
HIII TIM !!

Here are my questions:

1.My teacher had informed us earlier this year that 'Section C' (The research methods part) of the End of Year examination had been taken out and instead replaced with a 'Ten-mark' question that requires us to apply our learning. Is this correct ? And if so, could you please give some advice on how we should go about answering a question worth 10marks (I know this is difficult considering we don't know what the ten mark question is).

2.What advice would you give regarding exam preparation ? What do you specifically do to prepare ?

3.How do you keep yourself motivated during rough times in Year 12 ?

4.I understand that information stored in L.T.M must be retrieved by the S.T.M. So does that mean that that information (formally from the L.T.M) gets lost after being retrieved into the S.T.M and used ? Or does that information-after being used-simply flows back into the L.T.M ?

Thank you ! I sincerely appreciate your assistance

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:40 pm »
+2
Hey! :)

Here are my questions

1. When making notes, how did you sort through the information that was relevant and info that isn't needed? I find when making my notes I put in a lot of extra info that I may not need but I'm scared to take it out just in case it pops up somewhere

2. As psych is a content heavy subject, how did you go about learning all the info? In particular, all the definitions and info where specific terminology has to be used

3. I'd love to try and get a 45+ in psych. Any tips on trying to do this?

Thanks heaps :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 10:04:00 am »
+3
Is it effective to work through chapter questions or should we only focus on practice exam questions (for topics in previous study designs)?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 10:52:23 am »
+3
This is going to be howey today:

Get excited, folks!

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:15:47 am »
+3
Hey everyone!

Thanks heaps for all your questions. I'll be starting to work through them from now on, right throughout the day.

Feel free to throw up more questions as the day goes on  :)

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 11:27:44 am »
+4
Hey! I have a few questions:

How early did you start actual exam prep?

Hi Butterflygirl. Thanks for your questions!  :)

In terms of actual exam prep, I probably started about halfway through Term 3, in terms of actually doing practice exams. Personally, I felt that any earlier than that and I was skipping too many questions (having not learnt it yet) to make it worth it. To give you an idea, I did about 15 practice exams for Psych  :)

What process did you go through when correcting your responses in practice questions (to perfect your answers)?

If I had to correct my own practice answers, the main thing I would look for were the key terms in the answers (e.g. classical conditioning, negative reinforcement etc.). As long as I had those, I wasn't too stressed about the exact wording of the sample answer. If possible, I always got someone else to mark my practice exams - I was lucky that I had a really great and hard-working teacher!  :D

If you could change anything about the way you studied for psych, what would it be?

I should have looked over my notes more throughout the year - for example just read over earlier topic notes for 15 or 20 minutes a week. Unfortunately, as happens to most people, I was too worried about the SAC's that I had immediately in front of me!  :)

If you had to give one piece of advice/tip for getting 45+ in psych, what would it be?

Work solidly and consistently throughout the year - it's hard to learn all the content in the weeks leading up to the exam  ;) And do practice exams!

Did you revise all the content you had learnt regularly?

As I mentioned above, I probably didn't revise the content as much as I should have  :D I only really 'studied' the content in-depth before SAC's (and obviously the exam). However, I would recommend revising the earlier stuff throughout the year.

I hope that's all clear, let me know if you have any more questions!  ;D

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 11:59:23 am »
+3
Hello,

Yes I've got a few questions...

1. If there are content on the study design, let's say we don't understand, how would you go about revising for the content?

Hi student1011! Cheers for your questions!  :)

If you're struggling to understand something, my first port of call was always the textbook. I have the Grivas one, and I find it quite useful.  :) My next strategy was to go to my teacher/tutor, and hopefully they're good. If that doesn't work at all, there are some good places on the Internet (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyccounting/featured) that can be turned up with a Google search, although I didn't use one particular one repeatedly. Otherwise, practice questions are a great way to check if you actually understand something  :) I hope this helps - this is kind of an individual thing in terms of how you learn best!

2. If you got a low mark on psych or a lower mark than expected how would you motivate yourself to keep going?

Great question! Unfortunately most students will get at least one mark that they're not overly happy with at some stage throughout the year (myself included). My advice is to never give up on a subject - one bad SAC isn't going to significantly damage your study score as the exam is worth 60%.  :) In terms of motivation - I didn't set myself any specific goals in Year 12 (e.g. I want an ATAR of 95+), I just wanted to do the best that I could in every SAC and exam, and that turned out ok for me  :D So don't beat yourself up over one SAC mark, and just work consistently throughout the year!

3. Finally how would you word your answers to get full marks in questions?

Another top question  :) Unfortunately there is no magic formula for writing top Psych answers  :(  A couple of pieces of advice - make sure you include key terms, even if you think that they're obvious at times (e.g. classical conditioning). Refer to the example in the question as much as you can (obviously without being ridiculous) to show that you're linking your answer to the specific question. Other than that, be concise and don't bother rewriting the information that they've given you in the question (just refer to it). If it is a 2 mark question, I also try to make two clear, valid points, to make sure that I get the full marks  :D

Thanks for the questions, I hoped that helped!  ;D

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 12:11:46 pm »
+2
What is the best way to study and what scores are needed on SACS to reach a 40 Study Score Please  :D

Hi Ambergower, and welcome to the forums! Thanks for the question  :)

Personally, me preferred way of studying for Psych was to create my own chapter summaries, based off the textbook, and then read over these. I also did plenty of practice questions, particularly practice SAC's and practice exams (which I think are super important!).

In terms of SAC scores, this can vary greatly from school to school, depending on a number of things including how hard your SAC's are, how harshly they are marked and how strong your cohort is. All SAC scores are standardised by VCAA at the end of the year so I can really say what scores are needed for a 40, unfortunately  :( I can tell you that I average about 95% on my SAC's throughout the year and ended up with a 48, so if you can keep your scores up you should do really well!  :)