Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:53:25 am

Author Topic: VCE Philosophy Questions & Resources Thread  (Read 12999 times)  Share 

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
VCE Philosophy Questions & Resources Thread
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:45:15 am »
+19
VCE Philosophy Questions & Resources
Hi guys,

The purpose of this thread is to provide VCE Philosophy students with resources to assist in their studies as well as a supportive environment in which to ask questions pertaining to the VCE Philosophy course.

I’m aware there’s not many of you around! However, I’m hoping that soon we might manage a small community of us that can assist those who might be struggling with the course, as well as just provide a cool place to talk about this excellent subject! 8)

Below, I’ve included some links relevant to different sections of the course. Please feel free to post here or PM me with your own resources and I’ll update this as we go.

Unit 3: Minds & Bodies
AOS 1 - Minds & Bodies
VCE Philosophise! - This website is relevant specifically to VCE Philosophy and includes outlines of Unit 3 philosophers and some of Unit 4. Please note, however, that some of the information here might not be 100% relevant since it's based on the old study design.
Philosophy @ MHS - Shoutout to Melbourne High for this excellent website. ;) This includes relevant outlines and evaluations for the philosophers currently being studied.. It also includes extra reading materials for each AOS.
VCE Subject Guides: Philosophy Units 3&4 - Another shoutout ;D This one goes out to Rowville Secondary College for their awesome collection of outlines and evaluations for the current philosophers being studied. I found them very helpful!
SparkNotes - Plato 'Phaedo'
PHIL 230 Handout 4: The Argument of Affinity - Relevant to Plato's 'Phaedo'
A General Outline of Descartes' 'Meditations on First Philosophy'
SparkNotes - Descartes 'Meditations on First Philosophy
Important Arguments from Descartes' 'Meditations'
Mr. Melican's VCE Philosophy - Only Armstrong and Descartes.
Slideshow 'Descartes and Armstrong Revision'
Quizlet Armstrong 'The Nature of Mind' Flashcards

AOS 2 - Personal Identity
The Problem of Personal Identity - Briefly discusses Hume, Locke, and Buddhism in relation to personal identity. Might be helpful when considering evaluations.
Outline of Locke on Personal Identity
John Locke's Theory of Personal Identity
The Bundle Theory of Self - Helpful for understanding some of Hume's concepts that he discusses in his text. Also touches on the differences between Hume and Locke's views as well as Buddhism.
SparkNotes - David Hume 'An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding'
Hume on the relation between impressions and ideas

Unit 4: The Good Life
AOS 1 & 2 - Conceptions of the Good Life & Living the Good Life in the 21st Century
SparkNotes - Friedrich Nietzsche 'Beyond Good and Evil'
Key Ideas of Nietzche's 'Beyond Good and Evil'
SparkNotes - Plato 'Gorgias'
SparkNotes - Aristotle 'The Nicomachean Ethics'

Other Helpful Links
VCAA Philosophy Index - Here you can find the current VCE Philosophy study design as well as past exam papers and examination reports.
Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Victorian Association of Philosophy in Schools
Daily Nous - A news website which discusses current issues under a philosophical lens. You'll most likely be assessed on the evaluation of contemporary issues throughout the year in relation to what you're studying, however, even if you're not, you'll need to have some relevant contemporary debates and issues for Section C in the end-of-year exam. I HIGHLY recommend this website so make some use of it!
New Philosopher Similar to Daily Nous and highly relevant for Section C and discussing contemporary issues/debates.

This is a safe place to ask questions, so if you're struggling, don't hold back! I'll do my best to answer any questions current students might have as well as point you in the right direction to resources, etc. I also encourage past and present students to help contribute to this thread so we might see the growth of Philosophy students around here!

If you're struggling or have any questions, please feel free to drop them here! I, or someone else, will be more than happy to help you out with any questions you might have, or point you in the right direction to other useful resources, etc. :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:02:52 am by Coffee »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: VCE Philosophy Questions & Resources Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 12:09:31 pm »
+2
Yes! So good. I totally would have done Philosophy had it been offered at my school. I've stickied this thread and am looking forward to the questions - great work, Coffee.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:59:12 pm »
Yes! So good. I totally would have done Philosophy had it been offered at my school. I've stickied this thread and am looking forward to the questions - great work, Coffee.
Yay! Thanks, Joseph :)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:48:28 pm »
+2
I missed this somehow when you made it!  Thanks, this is awesome, Coffee - in need of more upvotes ;)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Coffee

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:00 pm »
+3
In the case of any lurkers around, I'll leave this here. I'd highly recommend going if you can.

VCE Unit 3 Forum 2017
Sunday 21st of May 2017
This program runs from 12:30 PM - 4:30 PM, with campus tours starting from 12 PM.

From the website:

12:15 University campus tour (separate registration required, limited spaces available)

The Philosophy Department of The University of Melbourne will be running an informal tour of the campus and department before the Unit 3 Forum, including a visit the new Arts West building, Old Arts building, the Brain Centre, the Law courts and the Philosophy Department. Students will have opportunity to talk to academics who work at the University every day. Sign up for the tour by registering via email to educationofficer.vaps.vic.edu.au.

The tour is limited to the first 50 students who sign up. The tour will depart from the Public Lecture Theatre A at 12:15pm sharp.

Venue: Old Arts Building Melbourne Universtiy

This is an excellent opportunity for students considering studying philosophy at tertiary level.

The program itself:
12:30 Forum registration opens

1:00 Monima Chadha (Monash University) On Nagasena and the Self

2:00 Laurance Splitter (The University of Melbourne) On Personal Identity: Hume and Locke

3:00-3:20 Afternoon tea (supplied)

3:20 Olivia Carter (The University of Melbourne) On Consciousness and Science, including a response to David Armstrong

4:30 Finish

This is a great opportunity to consolidate your understanding of the topics taught in Unit 3 as well as a chance to ask any last-minute questions you might have before you start Unit 4 content.

The cost is $20, or free for VAPS members.

For more information head to the VAPS website: http://vaps.vic.edu.au/events/vce-unit-3-forum-2017

Best of luck to everyone studying philosophy this year :)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:55:10 pm »
It's really quiet around here.  :( I figured I'd see if there's any others around here who have undertaken, or are undertaking Philosophy in 2019.

The (partially) new study design for 2019 has me a little nervous, and our holiday homework isn't closely aligned to it but more of an overview of some of last year's concepts. It'll be interesting, that's for sure!
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

ngocturnal

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 02:52:29 pm »
Hi everybody!!
Is there someone from 2018 who would be able to attach some sort of notes or resources up as there is a new study design.
Would be good to get some more insight into Smart because he seems really confusing and complicated  :'( :'(

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 05:35:04 pm »
+1
Hi everybody!!
Is there someone from 2018 who would be able to attach some sort of notes or resources up as there is a new study design.
Would be good to get some more insight into Smart because he seems really confusing and complicated  :'( :'(

Hi there! As someone who studied Units 3&4 Philosophy in 2018, unfortunately we cannot help with Smart, because they've changed the philosophers that everyone is studying this year compared to last year :((
The philosophers that we covered last year include:
Plato (for both Minds and Bodies and the Good Life), Descartes, Armstrong, Nagasena, Locke, Hume, Singer, Aristotle and Nietzsche.

I think there are only five or six crossovers between last year's study design and this year's study design, so feel free to ask about any of the philosophers mentioned above and I am happy to help!

Sorry about the annoying change of study design  :'( :'(

brothanathan

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 06:55:53 pm »
Hi fellow philosophers,

How does Platonic realism work? What is the proper definiton of platonic in philosophy (I know it comes from Plato) and does it differentiate?

Thanks 😁

brothanathan

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 07:26:52 am »
Hi there! As someone who studied Units 3&4 Philosophy in 2018, unfortunately we cannot help with Smart, because they've changed the philosophers that everyone is studying this year compared to last year :((
The philosophers that we covered last year include:
Plato (for both Minds and Bodies and the Good Life), Descartes, Armstrong, Nagasena, Locke, Hume, Singer, Aristotle and Nietzsche.

I think there are only five or six crossovers between last year's study design and this year's study design, so feel free to ask about any of the philosophers mentioned above and I am happy to help!

Sorry about the annoying change of study design  :'( :'(

Hi Anna, could you give me hand with my question?

+ Anyone else
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:32:03 am by brothanathan »

anna.comet

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 05:23:31 pm »
+4
Hi fellow philosophers,

How does Platonic realism work? What is the proper definiton of platonic in philosophy (I know it comes from Plato) and does it differentiate?

Thanks 😁

Hi again! Thanks for your patience re: a reply. Platonic realism is a new term for me, however we covered this concept (using different language) extensively during both year 11 and 12 during school. Platonic realism refers to Plato's theory of the forms. Plato essentially believed that humans inherently and innately understood what objects and ideas were around us without being taught (even though from a 21st Century view this sounds ridiculous and very hard to prove). For example, he believed that we understand what true beauty is, or what is considered 'art' because our souls (which are immortal, unchanging and incomposite) have had access to these ideal forms in a previous life. This links to Plato's idea of 'essence', in that he contended that every object (tangible or intangible) has a feature or set of features that makes them a certain object. For example, a sword requires both a blade and a hilt (because without a blade it would be a piece of wood, and without a hilt it would be a knife). In the same way in which ordinary, everyday objects can be reduced to a set of features, Plato wanted to find what features were essential to be human. He believed that what made us human was our soul, which he knew as a psyche. This is what separates us from both objects and animals - animals' souls are not as pure or refined as ours, and they don't hold intelligence or the ability to communicate. Essentially, all you have to gather from 'Platonic realism' is that Plato believed in a set of perfect, unchanging, eternal forms, and because our souls/psyches carry similar qualities to these forms, therefore our souls are immortal. That is one of his key arguments, the Argument of Affinity.

In response to what the proper definition of 'Platonic' is, in philosophy it just refers to any idea or theory that has come from Plato. It's like saying 'Plato's' realism, instead of 'Platonic' realism. Platonic just means 'belonging to Plato'.

I hope that helps! Feel free to respond with any more questions :~))

brothanathan

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 05:55:27 pm »
Hi again! Thanks for your patience re: a reply. Platonic realism is a new term for me, however we covered this concept (using different language) extensively during both year 11 and 12 during school. Platonic realism refers to Plato's theory of the forms. Plato essentially believed that humans inherently and innately understood what objects and ideas were around us without being taught (even though from a 21st Century view this sounds ridiculous and very hard to prove). For example, he believed that we understand what true beauty is, or what is considered 'art' because our souls (which are immortal, unchanging and incomposite) have had access to these ideal forms in a previous life. This links to Plato's idea of 'essence', in that he contended that every object (tangible or intangible) has a feature or set of features that makes them a certain object. For example, a sword requires both a blade and a hilt (because without a blade it would be a piece of wood, and without a hilt it would be a knife). In the same way in which ordinary, everyday objects can be reduced to a set of features, Plato wanted to find what features were essential to be human. He believed that what made us human was our soul, which he knew as a psyche. This is what separates us from both objects and animals - animals' souls are not as pure or refined as ours, and they don't hold intelligence or the ability to communicate. Essentially, all you have to gather from 'Platonic realism' is that Plato believed in a set of perfect, unchanging, eternal forms, and because our souls/psyches carry similar qualities to these forms, therefore our souls are immortal. That is one of his key arguments, the Argument of Affinity.

In response to what the proper definition of 'Platonic' is, in philosophy it just refers to any idea or theory that has come from Plato. It's like saying 'Plato's' realism, instead of 'Platonic' realism. Platonic just means 'belonging to Plato'.

I hope that helps! Feel free to respond with any more questions :~))

Just saw this thank you so much :)

anna.comet

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 07:29:57 pm »
Just saw this thank you so much :)

No problems! Very glad to hear that I have helped a fellow philosopher ahaha #altruism