Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:59 am

Author Topic: How can I catch up?  (Read 2445 times)  Share 

madkatsi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How can I catch up?
« on: March 30, 2021, 11:43:11 am »
+2
Hey guys, I've gotten behind in chemistry unit 3 so far. I was absent a couple days, slacked a bit due to poor mental health, and before I knew it the work piled up and I don't know where to go from here. The textbook was pretty convoluted. My teacher gave the class some worksheets with questions to complete, but I don't even know how to start the calculations, where to use formulas, etc.

How can I teach this to myself? Would looking at the worked solutions and finding out how to solve the questions from there work? Does anybody know any good explanation videos, mainly for thermochemical equations and combustion reactions?

My class is onto redox reactions now which I'm finding a much easier topic to keep up with, luckily. Over the holidays I'm planning to go over all the content so I'm ready for any SACs. We haven't done any SACs for chemistry yet, so I still have my hopes up for a raw study score of 40 and I'm willing to put in work for that and recover from my mistakes at the beginning of the year.

Any advice or help is appreciated :)
Going for that forbidden 100.00 ATAR

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: How can I catch up?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 01:25:56 pm »
+2
Hi madkatsi,

Welcome to ATAR Notes!

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. The advice I was given was to split the chapters up and allocate them to certain days. For instance, do Chapters 1.1 and 1.2 textbook questions and notes on Tuesday, 1.3 on Wednesday, etc. For accountability purposes, my teacher is making me show them the textbook questions I did every few days or so.

In terms of actually understanding the content, this is what works for me. I'd read the textbook / PowerPoints from school first and try to make sense of it all. At times, I find the textbook difficult to understand, so if I don't get something written in it, I'd search for a YouTube video that explains the concept a bit better or ask my teacher. There's also the VCE Chemistry Question Thread here on the forum that you can use to ask your chem questions. Afterwards, I'd do the chapter questions, note down any errors and try to make sense of them, and then move onto doing worksheets and making (mostly closed book) notes.

Hope this helps :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash