Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:59:42 am

Author Topic: What if i want to go back to mainstream english?  (Read 2325 times)  Share 

SaadUS

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
What if i want to go back to mainstream english?
« on: January 06, 2021, 09:46:46 pm »
So im doing English Language this year (year 11), and i was wondering that if I don't enjoy it or find it too hard could I go back after a month or a term or something like that. I've heard cases of year 11 students changing their subjects in term 1 or term 2 so I know I can change back if I don't like it (I've asked my school). I guess the only thing I'm scared is if it'll be boring or too hard, even though my friends who are doing eng lang recommend that I do it, and I feel like I could do it better than mainstream English. Just looking for all your opinions. Thanks :)))

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: What if i want to go back to mainstream english?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:49:36 pm »
+2
It is definitely possible to move from Year 11 English Language to Year 11 or 12 Mainstream English, but not so much the other way round. The content in 1/2 English Language is quite varied and not a whole lot is directly related to 3/4, however it is still interesting especially if you enjoy history.

I would recommend going into Eng Lang 1/2 with an open mind but always know that it is possible to switch to Mainstream English (as long as your school allows it!) :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

ConFinCMC

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
Re: What if i want to go back to mainstream english?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:06:07 pm »
+1
I would definitely recommend switching to mainstream English if you feel like you aren't grasping the content in English Language. The content covered in Units 1 and 2 are very, very different to what is done in Units 3 and 4 (because VCAA just loves hearing all the students suffer) There is a lot of memorising and revision of Metalanguage for Unit 3 and 4, whereas in Unit 1 and 2, it's mainly textbook learning. I have friends who did Unit 1/2 English Language, then switched to Mainstream English in Unit 3/4 and still came out pretty well.
If your Unit 1/2 teacher also takes the Unit 3/4 class, I'd confer with them to see what is best, based on how you are going and how you learn best.
All the best for the next two years
2020- 53.35

English Lang. <20
History: Revolutions. <20
French: 27
Biology: 28
Drama: 24

"Well, it doesn't define who I am, but it does a bloody good job at crushing my spirit and self-esteem"

2021- Gap Year, working in Bright at the snowfields (guys, this is so much fun)

2022- Fed University, Fast Access Program Diploma

If anyone wants advice on what NOT to do, feel free to send me a message.