Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:22 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347827 times)  Share 

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1320 on: May 12, 2020, 08:01:02 pm »
thansk thats really good.
Could you offer your critical analysis of this piece?
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #1321 on: May 12, 2020, 08:02:30 pm »
Hi LoneWolf!

I can if you would like :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #1322 on: May 12, 2020, 08:04:21 pm »
Cool, also, you mentioned the thesis statements for english?
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1323 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:03 pm »
Hi LoneWolf,

Yes sorry I'm still working on those but I'll definitely get it back to you by the end of the week :)

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1324 on: May 12, 2020, 08:16:28 pm »
Hi LoneWolf,

Before I start proofreading, editing and annotating your essay can you please let me know what your word count is and when it is due? It would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #1325 on: May 12, 2020, 08:21:53 pm »
thanks S.
it is just a practice essay!
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1326 on: May 12, 2020, 08:23:28 pm »
+1
Oh okay cool! I was just wondering because I am also editing several other people's essays and I just wanted to list the essays in heirarchal order if that makes sense.

2020hsc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1327 on: May 18, 2020, 06:47:00 pm »
Hey,

Anyone willing to answer....i'm just wondering if i could get some opinions on the outbreak of the pacific war, as per this source:

Americans will always consider the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour on Dec. 7 1941, the ultimate act of international treachery, a blow delivered without warning. But the prevailing Japanese view has always explained the act in quite different terms, portraying it as a predictable response to American actions that left Japan mortally vulnerable and with no alternative but to strike.

Would you think the US or Japanese view is more justified?

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1328 on: May 18, 2020, 07:32:50 pm »
+1
Hi 2020hsc!

I can try to provide you with some opinions about the outbreak of the Pacific War as per your source:
Americans will always consider the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour on Dec. 7 1941, the ultimate act of international treachery, a blow delivered without warning. But the prevailing Japanese view has always explained the act in quite different terms, portraying it as a predictable response to American actions that left Japan mortally vulnerable and with no alternative but to strike.

Would you think the US or Japanese view is more justified?

Personally, I believe that both the Japanese and the American view of the Pearl Harbour bombing are justifiable as at this rate, tensions between international relations between nations within the Pacific were rising to a "boiling point" throughout World War II. For example, the US military was completely "unprepared" when the Japanese dropped bombs Pearl Harbour. However, the allies (including the United States) did take advantage of Japan's "vulnerability" through the Guadalcanal Campaign of 1942–43 to further dissolve the imminent threat of Japanese expansion/attacks. So, as a result, I think that it would be wise if you considered both perspectives (the US and the Japanese) of the question, rather than just one.

Hopefully, this helps :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

2020hsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #1329 on: May 19, 2020, 07:37:36 am »
Hi 2020hsc!

I can try to provide you with some opinions about the outbreak of the Pacific War as per your source:
Personally, I believe that both the Japanese and the American view of the Pearl Harbour bombing are justifiable as at this rate, tensions between international relations between nations within the Pacific were rising to a "boiling point" throughout World War II. For example, the US military was completely "unprepared" when the Japanese dropped bombs Pearl Harbour. However, the allies (including the United States) did take advantage of Japan's "vulnerability" through the Guadalcanal Campaign of 1942–43 to further dissolve the imminent threat of Japanese expansion/attacks. So, as a result, I think that it would be wise if you considered both perspectives (the US and the Japanese) of the question, rather than just one.

Darcy Dillon.

Awesome! Yes, that is helpful, thankyou Darcy.

So if you are saying if you were responding to an essay that asked to what extent you agreed with the japanese view, you would argue that you agree to a certain extent but that the US view must be considered as well?

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1330 on: May 19, 2020, 07:57:42 am »
Hi 2020hsc!

When I write academically, what I think of are Norwegian-American sociologist Thorstein Veblen's words: "the outcome of any serious research question can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before"

Which in your case, would be an essay prompt/question. So yes, if you were responding to an essay that asked to what extent you agreed with the Japanese view, you would argue that you do agree to a certain extent but that the US perspective must be considered as well. However, to write your thesis/contention for your essay prompt/question, I would advise following these tips:

A "discerning" and "nuanced" historical essay thesis/contention is comprised of...

• A specific, definable and significant topic/aspect
  • It has time and place boundaries
  • It seeks and analytical and evaluative response, rather than a descriptive one
  • It is expressed in a clear, concise and fluent manner
  • It is not expressed in terms of simple closure (simple closure refers to the lack of full name (if you are discussing an individual such as a historical figure or external source such as a historian) and their credentials, and where the time and place boundaries are missing from your thesis/contention).

For example, my thesis contention that my Modern History teacher marked as "nuanced" and "discerning" was: despite two very different ideological belief structures, both nations of the USA and the USSR fought hard to obtain the monopoly of global dominance, and thus, were destined to become economic and political rivals.

So when you do structure your thesis/contention, just remember that you don't always have to use the word "extent" in your response. You could use various comparison/contrast words instead.

Darcy Dillon.

2020hsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #1331 on: May 19, 2020, 11:03:10 am »
Wow! Thankyou very very much Darcy, that is so helpful  :) :) :)

Sorry to ask yet another question, but if you do have a chance to look over it, what would you think of this thesis?

While the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour was, intentionally and successfully, a surprise attack on the United States, it is cannot be viewed as a blow without warning for the Japanese had, indeed, long-cautioned the Americans that their actions would lead to a military conflict.

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1332 on: May 19, 2020, 11:26:35 am »
Hi 2020hsc!

I think your thesis/contention is great so far! However, I would recommend that you should be as specific as possible. For example, if you are discussing the Japanese perspective on the Pearl Harbour attack, you should also discuss another event such as the Guadalcanal Campaign of 1942–43 from the perspective of the US. I would also recommend that you put the date of the events in brackets to be as specific as possible. For example, "...attack on Pearl Harbour (1941)" and "the Guadalcanal Campaign (1942-3)" However, for the Guadalcanal Campaign, you could either write the dates as "of 1942–43" or "(1942-3)" you can use these interchangeably throughout your essay.

Darcy Dillon.

2020hsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #1333 on: May 19, 2020, 11:31:18 am »
Ok thankyou so much!

Whereabouts in the thesis would you inject this part?
you should also discuss another event such as the Guadalcanal Campaign of 1942–43 from the perspective of the US.

Thanks again!

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1334 on: May 19, 2020, 11:56:31 am »
While the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour was, intentionally and successfully, a surprise attack on the United States, it is cannot be viewed as a blow without warning for the Japanese had, indeed, long-cautioned the Americans that their actions would lead to a military conflict.

Hi 2020hsc!

Here is my refined version of your thesis/contention: While the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbour was, intentionally and successfully a surprise attack on the United States, it cannot be viewed as a "blow without warning" as the Japanese had indeed, long-cautioned the US government that their actions would lead to a military conflict. However, the United States and the allies did take advantage of Japan's "vulnerability" as a nation through the Guadalcanal Campaign of 1942-9143 which thus, enabled the imminent threat of Japanese expansion and attacks to be dissolved.

Darcy Dillon.