Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:00:31 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151101 times)  Share 

rtmukheibir18

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 23, 2018, 11:37:08 am »
Hi!

I'm doing the elective After the Bomb, and was going to use the Kitchen Debate and Grave of the Fireflies as my related text. However one of the questions in my upcoming assessment is "To what extent do composers use the construction of setting to explore ideas about alienation in the elective After the Bomb?", and since the Kitchen Debate doesn't have a composer, my teacher thinks it's not appropriate for the question to use.  The other question for the assessment is about hope and despair, and I need to be able to fit another related text to both of these questions, as well as my prescribed texts Waiting for Godot and An Artist of the Floating world.
I was wondering for any suggestions for new ORTs that would work with that? The exams are in about a week and a half, so I'm a little panicked.

Thanks!!
Ruth

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #331 on: March 23, 2018, 12:01:32 pm »
Hi!

I'm doing the elective After the Bomb, and was going to use the Kitchen Debate and Grave of the Fireflies as my related text. However one of the questions in my upcoming assessment is "To what extent do composers use the construction of setting to explore ideas about alienation in the elective After the Bomb?", and since the Kitchen Debate doesn't have a composer, my teacher thinks it's not appropriate for the question to use.  The other question for the assessment is about hope and despair, and I need to be able to fit another related text to both of these questions, as well as my prescribed texts Waiting for Godot and An Artist of the Floating world.
I was wondering for any suggestions for new ORTs that would work with that? The exams are in about a week and a half, so I'm a little panicked.

Thanks!!
Ruth

Khrushev and Nixon are the composers of that text! No text is without a composer :) And it's a shame because I think the idea of setting is soooo good in The Kitchen Debate! The setting: a kitchen! I think this is the perfect related text for this question because the setting is so full of meaning.

Try Dr Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb.

It's not a text I loved to watch, but it's excellent for hope and despair - and satire!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

rtmukheibir18

• Adventurer
« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2018, 12:24:52 pm »
Hi!

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Do you think it's ok for both of my related texts to be films, as I'm also doing Grave of the Fireflies?
I think my teacher thought it wasn't a good fit, as you have to talk about how the composers themselves use setting.

Thanks!
Ruth

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #333 on: March 23, 2018, 01:01:39 pm »
Hi!

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Do you think it's ok for both of my related texts to be films, as I'm also doing Grave of the Fireflies?
I think my teacher thought it wasn't a good fit, as you have to talk about how the composers themselves use setting.

Thanks!
Ruth

Well, Nixon and Khrushev composed the debate, and they very specifically chose for it to be set in a kitchen :) You could even use one of the recordings of it on youtube and have a look at how the camera person framed it?

Having two films is fine in my opinion :) I've never seen any official advice against it :)

emily_p

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #334 on: May 28, 2018, 11:01:39 am »
Hi all! I'm struggling with thinking up creative ideas for my elective - Life Writing - which I can sustain over 1500 words. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or plot lines they could share? I feel like most ideas I come up with are pretty common like soldiers coming back from war and recounting their experiences, and I'm also not sure if that would be easy to adapt to stimuli. My teacher is also concerned about why the persona would write about their life - the purpose of the story, which I'm not too sure about. But yeah any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
HSC 2018 || English Adv | English Ext 1 | Maths | Maths Ext 1 | Economics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR: 94.55

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #335 on: May 28, 2018, 02:37:37 pm »
Hi all! I'm struggling with thinking up creative ideas for my elective - Life Writing - which I can sustain over 1500 words. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or plot lines they could share? I feel like most ideas I come up with are pretty common like soldiers coming back from war and recounting their experiences, and I'm also not sure if that would be easy to adapt to stimuli. My teacher is also concerned about why the persona would write about their life - the purpose of the story, which I'm not too sure about. But yeah any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
'

Hey Emily!

So I didn't study life writing, so take this with a grain of salt. But what you've said your teacher is interested in really intrigues me. Maybe you could use this as your starting point? So you could look specifically into the reason why someone would be compelled to talk about their life. Maybe as a source of inspiration for future generations? I'm not sure - but can life writing be a speech? because speeches always have strong intentions. So think of a compelling reason why someone would want to share their life experience, and then decide on what that life experience might be.

What do you think?

rtmukheibir18

• Adventurer
« Reply #336 on: May 28, 2018, 06:08:07 pm »
Hi!

For a speech I have to do for my topic of 'After the Bomb', my set topic is "‘Beware! The true enemy lies within’ – the interplay of the personal and the political in works of the Cold War period.". It is a speech based on this concept where we must evaluate two related texts, one of which must be visual. I was thinking of either doing McCarthy's "Enemies from Within" speech or the Kitchen Debate for my non-visual text, but I am really struggling finding a visual (film, artwork, documentary, etc) text for this concept, so any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

emily_p

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2018, 09:32:40 pm »
'

Hey Emily!

So I didn't study life writing, so take this with a grain of salt. But what you've said your teacher is interested in really intrigues me. Maybe you could use this as your starting point? So you could look specifically into the reason why someone would be compelled to talk about their life. Maybe as a source of inspiration for future generations? I'm not sure - but can life writing be a speech? because speeches always have strong intentions. So think of a compelling reason why someone would want to share their life experience, and then decide on what that life experience might be.

What do you think?

Hey Elise, thanks for the ideas! Unfortunately my teacher has confirmed that it should be a creative however we can include a speech, letter or interview in it, I'm thinking this might work? Or at least it'll lengthen it a bit? At the moment I'm writing about a veteran reflecting on the futility of war, not sure how to integrate a speech or something though :/
HSC 2018 || English Adv | English Ext 1 | Maths | Maths Ext 1 | Economics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR: 94.55

emilijab

• Adventurer
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2018, 10:21:43 pm »
+1
Hi!

For EE1 we're doing mod c 'Language and Values,' and the 'Textual Dynamics' elective. I've found that not many people do this elective and haven't seen many resources on it at all! I was wondering if anyone was also doing this elective and/or could help? I'm currently looking for two related texts. We've studied Sally Potter's film 'Orlando,' 'If on a Winters Night a Traveller' by Italo Calvino and some poetry by Wallace Stevens.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction to some resources or good texts :)

Em

laurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #339 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:45 pm »
How do you structure an extension english essay?

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #340 on: July 19, 2018, 09:56:06 pm »
+1
How do you structure an extension english essay?

Hello,

There are a lot of ways to structure an Extension Essay but I think you should definitely try make sure its integrated. You can do 2 texts per paragraph or 3 or 4 its purely up to you and how many concepts you think you can handle in one essay. For my half yearlies, only 1 ORT was needed so I did 3 texts in one paragraph but I only had 2 paragraphs. My friend on the other hand split her essay into only 2 texts per paragraph but had 3 paradigms. So its honestly up to you and what you think is most suitable. As long as its integrated to show synthesis and your driving argument is clearly linked to a paradigm I think any structure would be fine from my perspective :)
 good luck

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #341 on: July 19, 2018, 09:57:42 pm »
Hello guys

Would anyone have any suggestions on what would link well to the following texts I have so far for After the Bomb: The Spy who came in from the Cold, Plath's poetry, The Kitchen Debate.

I'm thinking of Duck and Cover but I'm not sure how to link them to my texts so far, also I don't plan on using Godot for trials, is that risky?

thank guys :)

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »
+1
Hello guys

Would anyone have any suggestions on what would link well to the following texts I have so far for After the Bomb: The Spy who came in from the Cold, Plath's poetry, The Kitchen Debate.

I'm thinking of Duck and Cover but I'm not sure how to link them to my texts so far, also I don't plan on using Godot for trials, is that risky?

thank guys :)

Hi @theyam! I'm doing the Spy as well! (but not the other two you mentioned).

I think not using Godot for Trials is completely fine. I'm not cause my teacher told me I can't use it yet. (kind of annoying)... :)
But in answer to your question, any text should be fine as long as you analyse it strongly alongside your prescribed ones.

For Duck and Cover, you could make a paradigm table to see what values and themes match up with your other texts. (I have attached the one that our class created together for Spy. Feel free to use all the notes there! I don't mind sharing more stuff if you ask for more). Otherwise, if you have time, Grave of the Fireflies is a strong related text. It's a Studio Gibli Film (anime) and set in World War Two, with heaps on paradigms and motifs.

Hope this helps!  ;D

From LochNess

ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

tmxvii

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #343 on: August 03, 2018, 09:23:55 am »
Hi! I'm desperately in need of help with an idea for my creative writing for after the bomb! My current idea (Which my teacher approves) is surrounding the expectations of Jackie Kennedy after the assassination of her husband. I have a fairly solid idea to use a non-linear structure and use poetic epigraphs at the start of each new paragraph/section, to represent 'A good wife's guide to grief'. However, I'm concerned whether focusing on a particular historical figure is appropriate or not encouraged? In doing this will it limit my potential marks? Any perspectives on this would be greatly appreciated

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2018, 09:17:27 pm »
+1
Hi! I'm desperately in need of help with an idea for my creative writing for after the bomb! My current idea (Which my teacher approves) is surrounding the expectations of Jackie Kennedy after the assassination of her husband. I have a fairly solid idea to use a non-linear structure and use poetic epigraphs at the start of each new paragraph/section, to represent 'A good wife's guide to grief'. However, I'm concerned whether focusing on a particular historical figure is appropriate or not encouraged? In doing this will it limit my potential marks? Any perspectives on this would be greatly appreciated

Limited??? Are you kidding me? That idea sounds awesome! If I didn't already have one, I'd steal it.  :-* Not really haha I don't like book thieves.  ;)
But it sounds amazing. I love the idea of grounding epitaphs within it.

My teacher was all like to me..."You have to use real historical figures or set it in a real historical part of the Cold War.....blah blah blah..."
But I followed her advice and guess who got Rank 1 in Creative for that assesssment?  8)

So the history thing just makes it super strong in Ext. 1 I think. Also, markers will love your recurrent use of  A good wife's guide to grief. Perfect motif.

Overall, I'd say your idea sounds 10/10!
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats