Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:33 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 150179 times)  Share 

kemi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2017, 12:08:44 pm »
+1
Hey guys - just for Romanticism - I am confused as to what Idealism actually means in the context of our studies. There's two ideas I can find:
1. The belief that what we call the "external world" is somehow created by our minds.
2. The desire to transform/make the world better.
Any ideas as to whether both are correct or only one? Thanks :)

Hi :)

Yes I believe what you've listed aligns with idealism. The Romantics envisioned a better, if not perfect society, which would be a product of innate human Reason and the power of the imagination. To me, they are a class of Utopian thinkers.

Hope that helps :)
HSC 2017

- X1Eng - X1Math - Chem - Bio (3rd in NSW) -

99.50 :D

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #286 on: October 26, 2017, 12:22:56 pm »
Hi :)

Yes I believe what you've listed aligns with idealism. The Romantics envisioned a better, if not perfect society, which would be a product of innate human Reason and the power of the imagination. To me, they are a class of Utopian thinkers.

Hope that helps :)

Okay sweet thank you! I was also wondering (and Elyse if you had any opinions as well that would be great as I've seen you have posted a couple of things on this) for my Ext 1 essay, I am a bit confused as to how the integrated essay structure looks? Would it be doing 1 way of thinking eg. Individual and then throughout that whole paragraph discussing all texts I have studied as it just sounds really messy if you get it wrong haha! Was my essay I got you to mark Elyse integrated by nature due to the fact that all texts had to deal with the individual anyway? I just prefer to deal with each text in one paragraph and then if needed compare and contrast conceptually how they deal with ideas in relation to the other texts. So for instance, something like - While Coleridge highlights the power of the individual imagination, Shelley warns against this spirit of individualism through the construct of the 'Romantic overreacher'. Thanks so much :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2017, 04:26:16 pm »
Hey Elyse sorry had another question - if the question for the creative stipulates we base it off a historical event and my story is about the experience of life in the midst of the Abolition of the Slave Trade (I was going to include a letter from the guy's wife documenting the work of the government in bringing about the act and info about how the social and political aristocracy opposed it) is this alright or does it actually have to be about the slave trade act itself? And similarly for if it is based off a historical figure - does it have to follow their life or can I be creative about it ie. in the case of mine Olaudah Equiano, he did a lot of post slave stuff but I was just going to do a fictional account of his experience on a slave ship after gaining a british education etc. and he is at this point in his actual life a crewman on a slaveship and so i was going to explore his want to help the slaves vs the malevolence of the other crewmen). Would really appreciate some thoughts :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:33:49 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2017, 10:52:39 am »
Hello there, Elyse! I have the same prescribed texts for my HSC next year and I just started working with The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. I have a great understanding of the rubric because my teacher deconstructed it in depth but I am having trouble immersing myself in the novel itself. Do you have any particular recommendations in how I can approach reading the novel or ways to look at it for me to connect with it further?
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Em444

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #289 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:11 pm »
Hi!

I saw the question about the historical event/figure and now I have more questions- if we were asked to write about a historical figure would a letter from a fictional character to the historical figure work? Or could I use Coleridge as a historical figure and have him talking to someone about their experiences? I read somewhere that he talked to common people to gather stories for Lyrical Ballads, so could I make one up? And for the historical event I have a story that references the French Reign of Terror, it's not so much a first-hand description of it but the protagonist is pro-revolution, then he learns about the reign of terror and is disillusioned, but he then discovers that imagination and beauty can be the path to a free world instead.

My Romanticism creatives sound so weird when I describe them haha

kemi

• Trailblazer
« Reply #290 on: October 27, 2017, 11:46:54 pm »
+1
Okay sweet thank you! I was also wondering (and Elyse if you had any opinions as well that would be great as I've seen you have posted a couple of things on this) for my Ext 1 essay, I am a bit confused as to how the integrated essay structure looks? Would it be doing 1 way of thinking eg. Individual and then throughout that whole paragraph discussing all texts I have studied as it just sounds really messy if you get it wrong haha! Was my essay I got you to mark Elyse integrated by nature due to the fact that all texts had to deal with the individual anyway? I just prefer to deal with each text in one paragraph and then if needed compare and contrast conceptually how they deal with ideas in relation to the other texts. So for instance, something like - While Coleridge highlights the power of the individual imagination, Shelley warns against this spirit of individualism through the construct of the 'Romantic overreacher'. Thanks so much :)

Hey sorry for belated reply

With integration, I do believe it's simply about linking the texts and then to Romantic ways of thinking as a whole. There's no single formula for this. I agree all texts in one para is messy - so break it up into ideas about the individual. Surely you can group your texts accordingly, as they will share common ground with certain ideas about the individual (you could also contrast them). And then make links back to the other authors/thinkers you have mentioned, like in the evaluative link at the bottom of the para to bolster it as a way of thinking - something all Romantics seem to advocate for.

Personally, I have not made paras based on ways of thinking i.e. solely nature, or the individual, etc... I've woven them into arguments I believe to be true of the Romantics - such as their desire to defy social and literary constraints, reimagine a better society and immortalise the soul. I've linked back to Nature, the imagination, the individual which are obviously key Romantic values. I've grouped texts according to their similarities and then made recurring 'grouping statements' where I refer to all composers and how their arguments fit nicely, or build on each other. They might even disagree of course.

So yea... sorry for rambling... there's no one way. Just make it clear, coherent and just do what you're comfortable with!! :)

*Praying for question that we can work with!!!!*
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:53:55 pm by kemi »
HSC 2017

- X1Eng - X1Math - Chem - Bio (3rd in NSW) -

99.50 :D

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2017, 12:12:08 am »
+1

With integration, I do believe it's simply about linking the texts and then to Romantic ways of thinking as a whole. There's no single formula for this. I agree all texts in one para is messy - so break it up into ideas about the individual. Surely you can group your texts accordingly, as they will share common ground with certain ideas about the individual (you could also contrast them). And then make links back to the other authors/thinkers you have mentioned, like in the evaluative link at the bottom of the para to bolster it as a way of thinking - something all Romantics seem to advocate for.

Personally, I have not made paras based on ways of thinking i.e. solely nature, or the individual, etc... I've woven them into arguments I believe to be true of the Romantics - such as their desire to defy social and literary constraints, reimagine a better society and immortalise the soul. I've linked back to Nature, the imagination, the individual which are obviously key Romantic values. I've grouped texts according to their similarities and then made recurring 'grouping statements' where I refer to all composers and how their arguments fit nicely, or build on each other. They might even disagree of course.

So yea... sorry for rambling... there's no one way. Just make it clear, coherent and just do what you're comfortable with!! :)

No thank you so much for the lengthy reply! :) I already do link paradigms and also at times contrast how they are dealt with in texts as you said so hopefully that should be good! You're a legend!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
+2

Essentially, yes to all of the above! I learned how to write my Extension One English essay based off this guide (like, one of the only guides on AN about English when I did my HSC :')) and at first thought, ghee whiz that is so tightly structured but it works. Then two weeks before my exam I changed my entire structure from the most simplistic essay ever (completely non-integrated, like, one text per paragraph with one idea for each, no interaction between texts at all.) and worked at it every day to integrate it without being convoluted. I wouldn't mention the four texts in the one paragraph except for the intro. I think approaching one text per paragraph isn't a bad idea at all, especially if that is how you find it easiest to make the links - because afterall, cohesion is a part of the marking criteria! :)

Hey Elyse sorry had another question - if the question for the creative stipulates we base it off a historical event and my story is about the experience of life in the midst of the Abolition of the Slave Trade (I was going to include a letter from the guy's wife documenting the work of the government in bringing about the act and info about how the social and political aristocracy opposed it) is this alright or does it actually have to be about the slave trade act itself? And similarly for if it is based off a historical figure - does it have to follow their life or can I be creative about it ie. in the case of mine Olaudah Equiano, he did a lot of post slave stuff but I was just going to do a fictional account of his experience on a slave ship after gaining a british education etc. and he is at this point in his actual life a crewman on a slaveship and so i was going to explore his want to help the slaves vs the malevolence of the other crewmen). Would really appreciate some thoughts :)

Hello again ;) Well, a historical "event" I suppose implies a specific moment or happening, whereas a "significant period in history" would be more broad. So I think it really comes down to that wording. But the letter could be an excellent way to back yourself in this situation to provide enough for it to hit the stimulus. As for your second hypothetical stimulus, I also think that would be ok. E1 markers are creative and will see and note the links you make I'm sure, and they'll recognise your creative license to deviate from historical truth at times in order to promote the agenda they want from you in the exam. It really sounds like you've covered all bases here!

Hello there, Elyse! I have the same prescribed texts for my HSC next year and I just started working with The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. I have a great understanding of the rubric because my teacher deconstructed it in depth but I am having trouble immersing myself in the novel itself. Do you have any particular recommendations in how I can approach reading the novel or ways to look at it for me to connect with it further?

Hello and WELCOME to the forums! :)
I didn't like the Spy :( I read it and dragggged myself through it and when I got to the end I cried on the final pages. Like just a few tears, nothing too deep. I personally struggled to keep up with the characters and their interactions, I ultimately thought it was boring. What I did enjoy, were the few times there was a glimpse of real humanism, and the few great metaphors. So there's a scene with two trucks and a small car coming together in a collision, and then it kind of just vanishes in importance, but comes up again later. That amused me and I enjoyed it. But for the most part - I recommend just getting through it, and then you can go back and appreciate certain parts. The most human choices come towards the end of the novel, which is the part I could relate to and enjoy most. So hang in there!!

Hi!

I saw the question about the historical event/figure and now I have more questions- if we were asked to write about a historical figure would a letter from a fictional character to the historical figure work? Or could I use Coleridge as a historical figure and have him talking to someone about their experiences? I read somewhere that he talked to common people to gather stories for Lyrical Ballads, so could I make one up? And for the historical event I have a story that references the French Reign of Terror, it's not so much a first-hand description of it but the protagonist is pro-revolution, then he learns about the reign of terror and is disillusioned, but he then discovers that imagination and beauty can be the path to a free world instead.

My Romanticism creatives sound so weird when I describe them haha

Hahaha, interesting, not weird ;) Yes, all of this sounds great and you're thinking clearly about important events and links which is the main thing! No matter what, if you are making conscious clear links (this means in an exam room, taking a breathe and thennnn going for it), then you will be satisfying the criteria.

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

shaw88

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2017, 12:46:39 pm »
Hello, (elyse) I was wondering if someone could help me out. This is a topic setence from a ATB essay from Cambridge Student. 'Hitchcock and Plath expand on their underlying concern with ‘domestic containment’ by exploring the individual’s struggle to reassert their identity amidst a post-war state of disorientation and disempowerment.'

However which paradigm does this relate too? How do personal identity/values relate to specific paradigms?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:41:22 pm by shaw88 »

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2017, 02:24:28 pm »
Hey guys just had a question on the 2016 question:
‘Light can only be understood with the wisdom of darkness.’
To what extent has your understanding of the ways of thinking in Romanticism been shaped
by considering both the darkness and the light in the texts you have studied?
In your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts and at least TWO texts of your own choosing.

I just did this question and was wondering how many times you have to make the judgement on to what extent as I put in my intro to a significant extent for all my texts and so I don't know if I need to repeat that in my body paragraphs because at times it gets repetitive and wordy!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2017, 02:31:33 pm »
Hey guys just had a question on the 2016 question:
‘Light can only be understood with the wisdom of darkness.’
To what extent has your understanding of the ways of thinking in Romanticism been shaped
by considering both the darkness and the light in the texts you have studied?
In your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts and at least TWO texts of your own choosing.

I just did this question and was wondering how many times you have to make the judgement on to what extent as I put in my intro to a significant extent for all my texts and so I don't know if I need to repeat that in my body paragraphs because at times it gets repetitive and wordy!

I always wonder this too, cause whilst in legal putting it into every body is essential, this is more of a 'pretty' style of writing  ;D I reckon just in intro is fine but interested to hear what Elyse thinks :)
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »
I always wonder this too, cause whilst in legal putting it into every body is essential, this is more of a 'pretty' style of writing  ;D I reckon just in intro is fine but interested to hear what Elyse thinks :)

Haha yeah I know same for Modern History - it is essential for proving your argument and answering the question. But if I put in the body paragraph it would be especially repetitive and wordy if I did it at the start and end, especially seeing the only contrast was Frankenstein as all my other texts used the darkness to emphasise the good of the light while she used the darkness to warn over the potential dangers of the light. But yeah we'll see what Elyse says :)

Also are you really going in with 3600 words memorised haha! Although my essay is around 1.8k, my creative is only 1.4k haha! Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:41:11 pm by dancing phalanges »

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2017, 02:38:48 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on creative writing for ATB? I have a piece prepared and it has fit relatively well with previous questions, but still kinda worried about the whole adapting to absurd stimuli/questions situation. Also WHAT THE HECK WAS LAST YEARS CW QUESTION??? How would anyone respond to that, on the spot, it's crazy!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2017, 02:47:57 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on creative writing for ATB? I have a piece prepared and it has fit relatively well with previous questions, but still kinda worried about the whole adapting to absurd stimuli/questions situation. Also WHAT THE HECK WAS LAST YEARS CW QUESTION??? How would anyone respond to that, on the spot, it's crazy!

I think number one thing is don't panic (easier said than done), and be creative when linking the stimulus to your own piece, particularly during reading time you can plan this in your head.

Last year's question thooooo holy craaappp!! I literally would've cried  ;D It has made me be wary of what they could throw as us though!! Worried they'll make us do it from the setting of a prescribed... but got a small idea if that does occur.

Just literally think of the most absurd prompts to do with the extension 1 prescription, ways of thinking, paradigms and prescribed texts, and figure ways to link your own

Good luck!!! I am terrified fml hahaha I hope we get something good
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2017, 03:03:41 pm »
I think number one thing is don't panic (easier said than done), and be creative when linking the stimulus to your own piece, particularly during reading time you can plan this in your head.

Last year's question thooooo holy craaappp!! I literally would've cried  ;D It has made me be wary of what they could throw as us though!! Worried they'll make us do it from the setting of a prescribed... but got a small idea if that does occur.

Just literally think of the most absurd prompts to do with the extension 1 prescription, ways of thinking, paradigms and prescribed texts, and figure ways to link your own

Good luck!!! I am terrified fml hahaha I hope we get something good

FEAR NOT! This was the 2010 HSC Question for the creative:
Compose a piece of original imaginative writing using a setting from one of your prescribed
texts and incorporating these three terms:
a wish
a message
solitude
Your response should draw on your knowledge and understanding of the elective you have
studied.

Hopefully they won't repeat! Rime of an ancient mariner is set on a ship and has been analysed as a metaphor of the slave trade so do you reckon if it asked a setting, setting it on a boat could be ok? Maybe I'd make a reference to rime to make it clearer?
But anyway adding to Ella's advice, just go through all extension past papers and look at the creative prompts and think of how you can adapt your current creative and i would also recommend adapting to including a historical event/historical figure as there's a consensus on here that this may pop up. It's actually a fun exercise to do and is great prep for Monday :) Don't worry though! Usually they aren't that specific - you only had to include a character from your prescribed last year not even make them a main character and usually with visual stimulus' which is another chance this year, they allow you to interpret it metaphorically :)