National Education > General National Education Discussion

Would you have done anything differently?

(1/1)

Aqualim:
EDIT: A must read for students just starting their degrees. THE DAY YOU START YOUR DEGREE IS THE DAY YOU START YOUR CAREER. Take it seriously.

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to see if I'm not the only one in this boat, but I'm going to raise the question;

"If you had the chance to re-do university starting from day one, is there anything you would do differently? Do you have any regrets?"

Personally, I completely wasted my undergraduate degree by simply not trying (until the last semester) and because of this I now have a really bad WAM to my name which has cost me job positions a number of times. To give you an idea, it took me 4.5 years to complete a 3 year degree, I failed four subjects and it was only because I dropped one of my degrees from the double degree I was in that my WAM held up to a 64. I think part of the reason I stopped trying was because I wanted to explore other things aside from constantly studying, which at the time was going to the gym which I still love to this day. Also because I knew my degree would last for at least four years, which means its hard to see the end of the tunnel, so you don't really worry about it. Little did I know 4 years goes extremely quickly..

Honestly, it's part of the reason I undertook a Masters in Commerce as I know the WAM doesn't reflect my capabilities to apply myself, which is true because I'm half way through and have a WAM of 83. If I could re-do my undergraduate degree I would essentially change the whole process altogether;

1) I would have gone to a G8 School as opposed to La Trobe, probably would have tried Uni Melb. Also because at La Trobe no one gives a fuck so there was no competition, however if I went to Melbourne I assume people actually care about how they do and because I'm competitive as hell that might encourage me to try harder. Also because some firms are elitist and only hire from G8 universities.
2) Definitely tried harder as for some reason I had bad time management skills and was just lazy with my study i.e. Get up around 10-11am, eat breakfast, go to the gym at 1pm and wouldn't leave till 3:30-4pm and then I'd mess around the rest of the day watching YouTube videos.
3) Got more involved with uni, as extra-curricular activities seem to be godly when it comes to applying for jobs. So probably joined a society and tried to get onto the committee. Also if I was at Uni Melb I would have tried to get amongst the Case competitions they hold (UBS Competition)
4) Applied for internships so that I have some industry related experience under my belt as opposed to only ever working in retail.

I know this is a stupid proposition to bring up since you can't really have a do-over, but I'm sure there would be some people on here who tried extremely hard in year 12 (I went balls to the wall, however my marks didn't show it - 87.30 ATAR) and then in uni their marks declined a lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version