Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:00 am

Poll

Why have we still not found the cure for cancer?

The cure is hard to find
The cure is being hidden by the elites to profit off us
The cure is cannabis
There is no cure
The cure is an alkaline diet

Author Topic: Health  (Read 1174 times)  Share 

LadyWhoAsksTooMuchQuestions

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Health
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:01:22 pm »
After all these years; the billions and billions of money being spent on curing cancer, the advancement in technology and the millions of walkathons being planned and held. Why have we still not found the cure for cancer?
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Information Digital and Technology
Community and Family Studies
Senior Science

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Health
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:18:33 pm »
+6
Hard to explain without having a science degree and without being a cancer researcher, but from studying a health degree, there's a few main points:
- there's not just one type of cancer that occurs in different body parts - they're all different types of cancers with different cell types, which means you can't make just one generic cure
- cancer evolves - it doesn't just stay the same so that one treatment is always effective on it - as it spreads, etc. it has genetically different parts
- with treatment, it's near impossible to eradicate every single cancer cell - I mean, cancer doesn't even begin to be detectable in your body by scans, etc. until you've got thousands of cells. all you need is one cell and the cancer can grow (remember that it isn't a foreign substance, either - it's not bacteria that's come from bad drinking water - it is abnormal growth of your own cells)

Here's a pretty simple and good video that gives perhaps a more succinct explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=h2rR77VsF5c

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:27:10 pm »
+5
After all these years; the billions and billions of money being spent on curing cancer, the advancement in technology and the millions of walkathons being planned and held. Why have we still not found the cure for cancer?
100% what K888 said.

Cancers can be quite complex, and plenty of research is being done on trying to find 'the cure'. I personally don't think there's a be all and end all cure, as each cancer in itself is different and finding cures for each are going to take many years to be produced- especially as clinical trials processes are quite lengthy.

Having had several family members either passing on or being diagnosed (one within the past week actually) with cancer (and me having an undetermined high risk of it), lots of medical advancements have been made throughout the years, including improvements in genetics testing procedures and treatments. I think that's a step in the right direction. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 06:34:48 pm »
+8
lots of medical advancements have been made throughout the years, including improvements in genetics testing procedures and treatments. I think that's a step in the right direction. :)
This ^^
I had cancer. It was absolute hell, and I know I'm definitely not the only one. But there is hope.
Even during my treatment, I noticed positive changes. I had this 3 month period where my immunity was so low I couldn't leave the house, and I was one of the first patients at my hospital to trial this new blood transfusion and it helped me get through my treatment so much quicker. All my blood tests and bone marrow samples are being tested and observed again by researchers AFTER the doctors have the immediate information they need from them, and I'm just one in thousands.

There isn't really any way we can go backwards on this one, but it is so incredibly complex.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 08:03:39 pm »
+7
I broadly agree with all of the above.

The notion that there is one cure for cancer is fundamentally flawed. Cancer is a heterogeneous group of diseases, united by the fact that they all involve uncontrolled growth of cells with the basis in mutation of DNA. "Curing" cancer will take a variety of approaches.

It's also worth saying that a lot of cancers are already curable. Most simple example is melanoma. If you spot an early melanoma and cut it out before it spreads, you have cured that person's melanoma.
We're also seeing improvements in long-term survival for people with a number of cancers. There are a lot of reasons for this, some of which have to do with early screening (catching the cancer earlier for cure or better success of treatment) and better treatment paradigms. A lot of cancers effectively work now as chronic diseases. Rather than the classical progression of get cancer, deteriorate and die from cancer, a lot of people will get cancer and really be able to leave with it for many years, often decades. Indeed a lot of patients with cancer will eventually die of something else before the cancer kills them. Prominent among cancers like this are breast cancer and prostate cancer.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd