Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:28 pm

Author Topic: Do you feel as though jokes about tragedy should be off limits?  (Read 2210 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
+1
People say that jokes and comedy are a way deal with tragedy and sadness. Instead of being sad, laugh at it! Even Stanford psychologists say that laughing about tragedy is a good thing!   https://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/august/humor-coping-horror-080111.html

People faced with negative or frightening scenes are often advised to "reappraise" them – to reinterpret the situations in a way that makes them positive. Two new Stanford studies demonstrate that the most effective form of cognitive reappraisal is good-natured comedy.

I’ve heard jokes about tragedies, such as:
-   the titanic
“Titanic Hits Iceberg”
“Iceberg: Stop hitting me, I have a boyfriend”

- Hurricane Sandy
“Could I have some water please?”
“That’ll be 10 bucks” (context, companies were overcharging)
Here are some of the tamer ones (due to forum rules)...but...what do you think about jokes relating to tragedies (Wars, events in the world etc)?

If it's obv about a personal past (or relative) of yours, of course not, but everything else (imo, it depends).

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Do you feel as though jokes about tragedy should be off limits?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »
+9
When I'm around people, my default setting is 'don't go into super dark jokes', because while I don't see an issue, I know that a lot of people do, so it's just common courtesy to not say them until you know the person. It's similar to how I don't have an issue with swearing but I wouldn't use them at work as there's a time and place not entirely true as my last job pretty much required you to use 'cunt' as a verb every two sentences, but in general...

Personally, I don't really have any limits for humour. Even your last sentence is different for me -- I can die of laughter if someone makes fun of my shitty experiences. Hell, the day I left home my friends wouldn't stop giving me orphan jokes. It's the best way to reclaim a bad situation. It's like that for my entire social group -- nothing is off-limits. However, when new people visit, we don't dive into the deep end with them. It's just polite imo
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 09:43:29 pm »
+3
Well, I preface this with a disclaimer.

My favourite comedian is Anthony Jeselnik. Ok, I'm done, argument over...

But, yeah. I think that humour is like, the number 1 way of dealing with anything. So I'm all for it.

I mean, no-one I know has ever got in trouble for Titanic jokes. In my personal experience, it takes a bit darker jokes to get reactions...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

3D waffle

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:22:07 pm »
I have a different opinion to the majority as I am at times a bit 'soft' and cringe when unfeeling jokes are said...
like the joke, 'why is hitler never invited to any BBQ's? Because he burns all the franks'
Some of my friends find this funny, but I almost feel like puking as I think of how so many Jews died horrible deaths, in such huge numbers. I rarely can get a laugh out at dark jokes as I think of terrible stories and things I have heard about the subject.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:24:58 pm by 3D waffle »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 07:36:01 pm »
+3
Based on how we've been brought up, our morals, experiences, what we see as appropriate/inappropriate etc...

For me personally, having a really stupid sense of humour where it doesn't take much for me to smirk..... while I don't make these sorts of jokes myself, it wouldn't stop me from smirking if I heard them. For the example above regarding Hitler, I think it says more about the people who make the jokes and who says them, rather than any reactions to them.

I also agree w/ Caleb and the entirety of his post. I don't have limits on humour either.. but it's about understanding the experience of the people you're "joking" with and making a conscious decision as to whether or not what you say may genuinely harm them.

I've grown up watching TV shows, movies etc. that take the absolute piss out of scenarios/situations/events and I have admittedly found them absolutely hilarious. Perhaps doing this from a younger age has developed these reactions? Who knows.

From my point of view, some of the "jokes" in this thread made me smirk. Does that make me a terrible person? Depends on who you ask and whether or not the context surrounding these jokes have impacted on these people directly or indirectly.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:37:41 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 03:40:56 am »
+4
I understand a lot of people make these jokes and it is fine generally, though i personally never really find them funny. It does depend on what you mean, like people cracking jokes about far away events that have no impact on our lives (eg: hurricanes overseas, the titanic, wars years ago) I could see the jokes being funny, but if someone is just pranking about someone dead i just kinda shake my head. But then again I often found Australias funniest home videos kinda stressing cos I would feel bad for some of the people getting hurt LOL. Everyone has their own opinion about humour though which is natural. I really don't enjoy super dark humour though I have friends who do it, I will just leave the conversation. I have sat front row at 2 funerals in the last 2 years and I really think jokes about dieing get old quick when you are exposed to alot of death. I had a couple friends who had really really dark senses of humour in the past but people they were close to have died and they just dont find memes of dead people being funny anymore. to each their own though i suppose

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 03:34:58 pm »
I understand a lot of people make these jokes and it is fine generally, though i personally never really find them funny. It does depend on what you mean, like people cracking jokes about far away events that have no impact on our lives (eg: hurricanes overseas, the titanic, wars years ago) I could see the jokes being funny, but if someone is just pranking about someone dead i just kinda shake my head. But then again I often found Australias funniest home videos kinda stressing cos I would feel bad for some of the people getting hurt LOL. Everyone has their own opinion about humour though which is natural. I really don't enjoy super dark humour though I have friends who do it, I will just leave the conversation. I have sat front row at 2 funerals in the last 2 years and I really think jokes about dieing get old quick when you are exposed to alot of death. I had a couple friends who had really really dark senses of humour in the past but people they were close to have died and they just dont find memes of dead people being funny anymore. to each their own though i suppose
I am almost entirely converse to this. In a few days it will be one year since one of my best mates passed...

I use humor as a coping strategy, rather than withdrawing from it...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 04:06:38 pm »
+3
I think that it is fine for tragedies that don't actually affect us directly that have happened in the past or we see it on the news, but for anything personal I think they should be off limits as some people are more sensitive.

When I found out that a close friend has been suicidal, for the next month I hated anyone that made even small jokes vaguely relating to suicide. But now if someone makes a small "kill me" or "neck me" joke I don't mind too much just like before I found this out about my friend.

Unless you know all the people who will be hearing the joke well I don't think it is appropriate to make jokes about tragedies that could be personal. You have no idea what they have been through recently and it is better to stay on the safe side.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney