Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:45 am

Author Topic: Discuss the significance of ...  (Read 864 times)  Share 

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
Discuss the significance of ...
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:32:37 pm »
Hey fellow legal eagles ;)

Looking into the 'key skills' for Unit 4 AOS1, it states that we are required to "discuss the significance of High Court cases involving the interpretation of the Australian Constitution." However, I'm not really sure how to tackle a discuss question in this context; usually discuss requires a for/against argument, yet I'm not sure how you could work this in when talking about a High Court Case, such as Roach v Electoral Commissioner.

Clarification would be greatly appreciated! :)
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: Discuss the significance of ...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 05:57:28 am »
+1
'Discuss' really just means do more than recount objective facts, and 'significance' means outcome and impact. So, talk about whether the outcome/impact were big or small, good or bad, picked up by later cases or possibly tweaked in later cases, an example of court creativity or conservatism - that kind of thing.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!