Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:57:29 pm

Author Topic: How do you get a head-start in Literature?  (Read 1457 times)  Share 

msandler2009

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How do you get a head-start in Literature?
« on: January 05, 2020, 10:24:03 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,
So last year I went to a few literature revision events (I was in Year 11 doing the 1/2) and I was astounded at the super high level of the attendees' skills, I felt like I was surrounded by geniuses, they were pulling out such sophisticated meanings and analyses from texts where I couldn't see nearly as much. I tend to focus on the story-line of the text more than on the literary aspects.
So now that I'm going into Year 12 and I still have some time left these holidays, I'd like to ask everyone what would you suggest I do to prepare myself? Obviously reading the books is the start, but beyond that what would you recommend? Any strategies, tips, learning ideas etc. are welcomed. Others have suggested for me to read the book twice and take notes the second time, another person has suggested reading critical analyses of the texts.
Also, is it worth going to a summer head-start program for literature like TSSM runs? Or maybe is it better to get a tutor?
All the best for your study and much appreciation. :D

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
Re: How do you get a head-start in Literature?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:13:19 am »
+10
Hi everyone,
So last year I went to a few literature revision events (I was in Year 11 doing the 1/2) and I was astounded at the super high level of the attendees' skills, I felt like I was surrounded by geniuses, they were pulling out such sophisticated meanings and analyses from texts where I couldn't see nearly as much. I tend to focus on the story-line of the text more than on the literary aspects.
So now that I'm going into Year 12 and I still have some time left these holidays, I'd like to ask everyone what would you suggest I do to prepare myself? Obviously reading the books is the start, but beyond that what would you recommend? Any strategies, tips, learning ideas etc. are welcomed. Others have suggested for me to read the book twice and take notes the second time, another person has suggested reading critical analyses of the texts.
Also, is it worth going to a summer head-start program for literature like TSSM runs? Or maybe is it better to get a tutor?
All the best for your study and much appreciation. :D

Hi msandler2009,

I did Literature in 2018 and scored reasonably, but there are people who probably have a lot better advice than I do.

From me though,  I know it sounds really strange, but take Literature as a subject to challenge yourself with, whilst simultaneously sticking to something familiar. Forget about what everyone else is doing (easier said than done I know) and focus on what you aren't.  You've said you mainly focus on the storyline, so write a few paragraphs throughout the holidays that focus on other factors (even if it is gibberish and terrible, wrapping your mind around why an author might choose to write one way as opposed to another is important). I tended to stick to a sort of a basic "'author' wrote in a 'something' tone that 'quote', using 'such and such' technique, to the effect of 'blah blah', which relates back to the authors main idea of 'blah blah blah'", for paragraphs, but I challenged myself with details and ideas (obviously I wrote it a bit more sophisticated than that :) ) In other words, choose a few really simple and basic main ideas, then go into more obscure, in depth details (and also tone is your best friend; throughout essays continuously update how the author changes tone, their intended effect and what effect the new tone has in relation to the main ideas - though be careful not to critique the author, it's not a review!) Tone is great for padding essay length and giving an essay some flow as your teacher can see your essay progresses at each tone shift, and then you will be less likely to be marked down for not developing your main idea.

Obviously you need to know techniques and it's great to know them all, but even if it's just in the beginning, pick a handful,  five or so, that you know back to front and can pick out of a block of text easy. I think one of mine was metaphors/similes, because I knew I'd be able to find them in most of the texts and it was my fail-safe for if I went blank in the middle of a SAC. Of course, still try to get to know as many as possible!

It's important to know the book, but it is essential to know what the author was trying to convey throughout the book. And if you get stuck, guess. I'm not kidding, even if you come up with the strangest idea,  as long as you can back it up with a few pieces of "evidence" you might get away with it. Honestly, I think I used the fact that a secondary character twiddled their thumbs to support the fact that the secondary character was being portrayed as nervous by the author because the author made a point to draw attention to the secondary characters hands, and that fed back into the protagonists suspicions and validated the audience in siding with the protagonist as the protagonist began to speak rudely to the secondary character to get them to tell the truth, rather than if the secondary character didn't appear nervous and instead made the protagonist seem paranoid and nasty for berating the secondary character (I think that was it?  I don't know, it's been a while)  Hahaha. I got a bit lost down that rabbit hole that day, but I just blanked and had to bluff my way through it :) but still pulled a decent mark because I knew what my teacher was looking for in my response, namely that I could back up my odd claims. Pay attention to what your teacher wants from you, and if they don't outwardly express it, ask them! The study design and having a look at examiners reports from past exams are fantastic resources if your teacher still refuses to give you much detail,  or even if they do they are worth taking a look at.

In terms of TSSM and tutors, if you think that is something that might help you, I don't think it would hurt. I picked up literature without units 1+2, did not have a tutor, attended no programs, but if I had the chance to do any, I certainly would have taken the opportunity. I did lit through distance ed, so I was sort of on my own for most of it :) I never think a resource is wasted if you take the time to really use it properly.

Come up with your own ideas and write them down as you read the books - just thoughts on why you think the author made certain choices, even something as basic as "the author described the setting to sway the audience and make them feel this way... " and also, write down how you, as the audience, react to what you feel like are key scenes throughout, because you can always reference that as your "audience" (without stating that it was how you personally felt, of course). But also, after you have formed your own interpretation, read and get to know how others felt and thought. Some of your classes might focus on this, but even beyond your classmates and teachers, search for what other interpretations are out there and then challenge them. Even if you agree with everything they say, play devil's advocate. It will give you perspective as to how your teacher will mark you.

Hope this helps and good luck! It's been a while since I've taken the subject,  as I said, so my apologies if any of this is incorrect. Please correct me if I am wrong in any place everyone :) I wrote this exhausted and falling asleep, so sorry for spelling mistakes and what I know is terrible structure and likely mismatched ideas :)

Oh,  and enjoy the subject!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 07:09:20 am »
+1
This is such great advice Katherine! Thank you so much! ;D

msandler2009

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 05:18:58 pm »
+1
Hi msandler2009,

I did Literature in 2018 and scored reasonably, but there are people who probably have a lot better advice than I do.

From me though,  I know it sounds really strange, but take Literature as a subject to challenge yourself with, whilst simultaneously sticking to something familiar. Forget about what everyone else is doing (easier said than done I know) and focus on what you aren't.  You've said you mainly focus on the storyline, so write a few paragraphs throughout the holidays that focus on other factors (even if it is gibberish and terrible, wrapping your mind around why an author might choose to write one way as opposed to another is important). I tended to stick to a sort of a basic "'author' wrote in a 'something' tone that 'quote', using 'such and such' technique, to the effect of 'blah blah', which relates back to the authors main idea of 'blah blah blah'", for paragraphs, but I challenged myself with details and ideas (obviously I wrote it a bit more sophisticated than that :) ) In other words, choose a few really simple and basic main ideas, then go into more obscure, in depth details (and also tone is your best friend; throughout essays continuously update how the author changes tone, their intended effect and what effect the new tone has in relation to the main ideas - though be careful not to critique the author, it's not a review!) Tone is great for padding essay length and giving an essay some flow as your teacher can see your essay progresses at each tone shift, and then you will be less likely to be marked down for not developing your main idea.

Obviously you need to know techniques and it's great to know them all, but even if it's just in the beginning, pick a handful,  five or so, that you know back to front and can pick out of a block of text easy. I think one of mine was metaphors/similes, because I knew I'd be able to find them in most of the texts and it was my fail-safe for if I went blank in the middle of a SAC. Of course, still try to get to know as many as possible!

It's important to know the book, but it is essential to know what the author was trying to convey throughout the book. And if you get stuck, guess. I'm not kidding, even if you come up with the strangest idea,  as long as you can back it up with a few pieces of "evidence" you might get away with it. Honestly, I think I used the fact that a secondary character twiddled their thumbs to support the fact that the secondary character was being portrayed as nervous by the author because the author made a point to draw attention to the secondary characters hands, and that fed back into the protagonists suspicions and validated the audience in siding with the protagonist as the protagonist began to speak rudely to the secondary character to get them to tell the truth, rather than if the secondary character didn't appear nervous and instead made the protagonist seem paranoid and nasty for berating the secondary character (I think that was it?  I don't know, it's been a while)  Hahaha. I got a bit lost down that rabbit hole that day, but I just blanked and had to bluff my way through it :) but still pulled a decent mark because I knew what my teacher was looking for in my response, namely that I could back up my odd claims. Pay attention to what your teacher wants from you, and if they don't outwardly express it, ask them! The study design and having a look at examiners reports from past exams are fantastic resources if your teacher still refuses to give you much detail,  or even if they do they are worth taking a look at.

In terms of TSSM and tutors, if you think that is something that might help you, I don't think it would hurt. I picked up literature without units 1+2, did not have a tutor, attended no programs, but if I had the chance to do any, I certainly would have taken the opportunity. I did lit through distance ed, so I was sort of on my own for most of it :) I never think a resource is wasted if you take the time to really use it properly.

Come up with your own ideas and write them down as you read the books - just thoughts on why you think the author made certain choices, even something as basic as "the author described the setting to sway the audience and make them feel this way... " and also, write down how you, as the audience, react to what you feel like are key scenes throughout, because you can always reference that as your "audience" (without stating that it was how you personally felt, of course). But also, after you have formed your own interpretation, read and get to know how others felt and thought. Some of your classes might focus on this, but even beyond your classmates and teachers, search for what other interpretations are out there and then challenge them. Even if you agree with everything they say, play devil's advocate. It will give you perspective as to how your teacher will mark you.

Hope this helps and good luck! It's been a while since I've taken the subject,  as I said, so my apologies if any of this is incorrect. Please correct me if I am wrong in any place everyone :) I wrote this exhausted and falling asleep, so sorry for spelling mistakes and what I know is terrible structure and likely mismatched ideas :)

Oh,  and enjoy the subject!

That's really helpful Katherine. With literature it's crazy the conclusions you can make based on minute details which would normally seem irrelevant. I like your approach, it's really good to constantly keep the authors motives at the front of mind, that way you're actively looking for language features that you can point out. The metaphors/simile idea is great, that way you can always have something up your sleeve.
Thanks so much!