Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:44:33 am

Author Topic: University General Chat  (Read 53051 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: University General Chat
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2020, 06:57:29 pm »
+4
Hello!

I'm looking for some advice regarding a good undergraduate degree as a pathway to medicine. For UQ, in particular, there are four possible undergrad degrees I'm interested in (in the event I don't get a provisional entry):
•   Bachelor of Biomedical Science
•   Bachelor of Science
•   Bachelor of Advanced Science (with Honours)
•   Bachelor of Pharmacy (with Honours)
I have had several recommendations that Pharmacy would be beneficial before a medical degree and obviously most universities recommend Biomed as a pathway. But what about the others? Only two of these can go on my QTAC preferences so I need to choose. What's the difference between Advanced science and Science? Is advanced just a bit harder or goes into more depth? Would this be beneficial before a medical degree as well?
Thank you!
I don't think there really is an absolute recommended pathway tbh really up to the individual. All those degrees would be beneficial but also many other degrees that most people wouldn't consider would also be useful.

The difference between Science and Advanced Science is that Science is a 3-year degree and Advanced science is a 4-year degree. The extra year for the advanced degree is a full-year research project. From my quick look at the UQ website, it seems like the Science degree has a lot more majors avaliable than the advanced degree has.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2020, 10:20:11 am »
+1
Heyo, looking at mitochondrial replacement therapy from an evolutionary ecology perspective but I'm curious to see what the bio/med perspective is if anyone is happy to share.

e.g. what I've read from an ecology perspective is pretty focused on mitonuclear interactions & coevolution

Garry1117

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2020, 01:04:35 pm »
I just needed to ask about the entry requirements for the Bachelor of Business at Monash University. The selection rank for the course is 82.10 and I receive 4 bonus points for the subjects I do. Does this mean I'll need an ATAR of 78.10 to be within the selection rank for the course? I am also receiving SEAS for a medical condition that can be classified as a learning disability. I'm expected to receive around 3 to 4 points for this as well. Would this ultimately mean I would have to achieve an ATAR of around 74-75 in order to be withing the selection rank for this course? Thank you

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
What is it like to study economics at university?
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2020, 11:37:24 am »
+5

I'm going to drop a link to hums_student's uni journey journal since they've done a few different econ units as part of a breadth (i.e. electives) track.

My experience doing 1 economics unit each sem this year is that there lecture-type videos to watch each week, tutorials for discussion & revision each week (or each 2nd week due to covid), an exam worth a lot, and a strong focus on looking at how everything studied connects to the real world.

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2020, 01:06:34 pm »
Any tips for being more organised for uni? Like structuring your day, keeping track of tasks.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
+5
Any tips for being more organised for uni? Like structuring your day, keeping track of tasks.
Sorry I missed this post.

I think it is really dependent on the individual, there is not one thing that works for everyone. Personally, I never used a study timetable or anything like that but I know people who do and find them really helpful.  Others may use a to-do list and make sure they complete all their tasks for a day/week. 

It is definitely a learning process and not everyone is great at it at the start so usually in the first year of university it can be hard when students are adjusting since learning at uni is quite different from high school.

This is also a good opportunity to bump this thread for all the new university students!

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 12:29:56 pm »
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I completed in yr 12 two units from health science at ACU, HLSZ111 (The person, health and wellbeing) which is psychology based as well as including therapeutic communication. I also studied HLSC120 (Indigenous Health and Culture).  I'm starting a bachelor of science at Monash and found 2 units which are very similar to the ones studied above:  EDF5000, ATS1250. Does anyone know if I could be credited for these units?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 01:30:53 pm »
+3
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I completed in yr 12 two units from health science at ACU, HLSZ111 (The person, health and wellbeing) which is psychology based as well as including therapeutic communication. I also studied HLSC120 (Indigenous Health and Culture).  I'm starting a bachelor of science at Monash and found 2 units which are very similar to the ones studied above:  EDF5000, ATS1250. Does anyone know if I could be credited for these units?
It's possible but you need to apply for credit which you can find info about HERE.

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2021, 06:39:23 pm »
Is anyone able to offer me any advice, I have an offer at Monash for science and I want to move onto medicine in the future. Although Monash is quite the distance for me to travel so i'm thinking of possibly trying to transfer to Melbourne. A lot of people are telling me to stay at Monash because the environment in Melbourne is not as good, as well as the support from staff. What do you think about melb or monash?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2021, 06:55:08 pm »
+4
Is anyone able to offer me any advice, I have an offer at Monash for science and I want to move onto medicine in the future. Although Monash is quite the distance for me to travel so i'm thinking of possibly trying to transfer to Melbourne. A lot of people are telling me to stay at Monash because the environment in Melbourne is not as good, as well as the support from staff. What do you think about melb or monash?
I don't think there is a significant difference between the uni's outside of location tbh

What concerns do you have about the environment?
What would your travel times be to get to Melbourne/Monash?

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 07:40:56 pm »
I don't think there is a significant difference between the uni's outside of location tbh

What concerns do you have about the environment?
What would your travel times be to get to Melbourne/Monash?
Ok, I've just been hearing from past students that Monash have a better environment in terms of like the support and assistance received from staff and that the quality of teaching is better at Monash. These are just opinions i've been hearing about melb and Monash I'm not sure if they're accurate or not? There's a big difference in travel times for me getting to melb would only take 40 mins whereas monash will take by train 2hrs! Also, I'd like to get into medicine after my undergrad and apparently there's a better chance of a spot in medicine at monash compared to melbourne?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2021, 09:05:41 pm »
+2
Ok, I've just been hearing from past students that Monash have a better environment in terms of like the support and assistance received from staff and that the quality of teaching is better at Monash. These are just opinions i've been hearing about melb and Monash I'm not sure if they're accurate or not? There's a big difference in travel times for me getting to melb would only take 40 mins whereas monash will take by train 2hrs! Also, I'd like to get into medicine after my undergrad and apparently there's a better chance of a spot in medicine at monash compared to melbourne?
Hmm I've definitely heard those thoughts before. I only experienced Monash so can't fully comment on unimelb but for the most part those who I know who went to unimelb found it ok.

I guess Monash has a non-GAMSAT pathway for medicine but I think that is really only a negligible increase in chances imo. Cutting down travel time might even it out. A difference of 40 mins vs 120 mins can really add up over a week. Although, this depends on whether you are someone who would be able to use your time on the train to study or do any other work.

masterhiya

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 11:35:50 pm »
+1
When people say university learning style is vastly different to high school learning style, what exactly does that mean? Quicker pace, more independence, Anything else?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2021, 07:17:48 pm »
+10
When people say university learning style is vastly different to high school learning style, what exactly does that mean? Quicker pace, more independence, Anything else?
Well, it’s quite different on a lot of levels:
- the teaching style is quite different - This is probably the biggest one. There’s lots of different ways you could learn at uni vs in high school where just one teacher takes you for one semester and all activities are done in that one classroom. This can vary from lectures, workshops, seminars, labs, etc.. Each one of these is slightly different in how you are taught and what activities you’ll do in them. Each unit (subject) can also be different to others.
- Learning style also differs in that you can pick times that suit you better (sometimes) and sometimes the mode in which you do them. You might take an 8am lecture and choose to watch it online instead of doing this in a lecture hall (think a giant educational movie theatre with someone talking at a lectern at the front). On the other hand, you might not be able to choose when or where - sometimes there’s only a 10am Thursday lab that you need to be there in person for to get attendance marks. It’s very context-dependent.
- You might have one lecturer the entire semester or ten, it depends. You have to adapt to the situation and won’t necessarily have the same lecturer or even see the same classmates each week at uni.
- There’s sometimes pre or post activity work e.g. you might have to do some reading before attending a lecture or a report due after a lab.
- How you get assessed also varies more. Now you might be assessed while on an internship or placement, or you could be assessed on how well your contraption works, on top of essays and orals.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread