Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:25 pm

Author Topic: What course should I do?  (Read 1072 times)  Share 

rinner

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
What course should I do?
« on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:55 pm »
Hey guys,
so today i got 4th round offer for physio at monash whilst im currently enrolled in science at melbourne.
I was wondering which one I should do because i'm getting second thoughts after this new offer. I'm hoping to try out for graduate medicine after my degree and I would have to move if I did physio. Also physio is a year longer. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
Re: What course should I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:55:51 pm »
Hey guys,
so today i got 4th round offer for physio at monash whilst im currently enrolled in science at melbourne.
I was wondering which one I should do because i'm getting second thoughts after this new offer. I'm hoping to try out for graduate medicine after my degree and I would have to move if I did physio. Also physio is a year longer. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

To be honest, although you might be eligible for the extra 25 spots that going to monash physio will give you (pretty sure this includes physio) that the influence of having to move and become more independent may be harder and have a somewhat negative influence on your results. By move, I take it that you will need to move house(?). If not, disregard this point.

You should also consider that physio is preparing you for a job and that it might be harder to get into med following this pathway. That is, that since there are also (probably) going to be clinical placements, etc. that you will need to complete, it may become harder to score as well in these. Furthermore, the subjects that you do in physio are unlikely to provide you much breadth and you may also need to get the subjects you have completed approved in order to satisfy prerequisites.

Additionally, you may also like to consider that the BSc will not give you many (imo you would have extremely little employability skills after the BSc) employment opportunities. Hence, while the physio course may be longer, the BSc required that you complete further study, so this pathway will be longer. On the flip side, you may find that it is a little easier in terms of applying to Med as you should be able to satisfy prereqs quite easily and from what I have gained, it is comparatively easier to maintain a higher GPA in the BSc than it is in physio. You are also likely to receive some motivation from friends in the same course as you who wish to do grad med as well.

THes are my thoughts, and since I am a student, take these with a grain of salt (I mean that I am a HS student atm)>

Hope this helps. :)
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: What course should I do?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:11:25 pm »
DBA-144 pretty much got it.

although you might be eligible for the extra 25 spots that going to monash physio will give you (pretty sure this includes physio)
This is correct. Here's a link that supports this.   

Also, remember that only Monash undergrads can apply for Monash postgrad med.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:13:26 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread