Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 05:05:00 pm

Author Topic: [2016 LA Club] Week 21  (Read 2782 times)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
[2016 LA Club] Week 21
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »
+5
WARNING: DIFFICULT CONTENT AHEAD!

We're not 11 weeks out from the English exam, and the evil voices in my head tell me I should probably start amping up the difficulty for you guys, so without further ado, I present you with a piece that has a very difficult contention! It's also very long. But trust me when I say this is for your own good - if your exam isn't comparative this year, my guess is that there'll be one long and rather difficult piece instead. As such, if you manage to get through the hard stuff sooner rather than later, it'll mean the exam is far less likely to take you by surprise.

Usual rules apply: you can use this week's material to test your abilities to select content, or general analytical skills, but even if you just want to write ~100 words unpacking the author's point of view, I'd consider that a success. Just practise what you need to practise!

No real background information this week; it's just a piece published in an online magazine. No specific target audience, no specific spark. Good luck!

Judged on merit, you better be lucky

How important is luck in monetary success? A lot more than a lot of successful people are willing to admit – even to themselves. Is luck as important as hard work in becoming successful? No – but, in the end, yes.

The case for believing that success is due overwhelmingly to talent and hard work – something every successful person wants to believe – is simple. Leaving aside a few lottery winners and rich heirs, almost every materially successful person is someone with ability who's worked hard for what they've got. But the weakness in that argument is equally apparent: there are many talented and hard-working people who haven't amassed much wealth.

What separates the two groups is good fortune. Some talented and hard-working people have enjoyed the additional benefit of a lucky break or two, some haven't, or have suffered unmerited setbacks of one kind or another.

Some have had the good fortune simply to have avoided any misfortune. And, of course, there are talented, hardworking, lucky people who aren't all that outwardly successful because they haven't given material success a high priority. (But don't bother feeling sorry for them – they've probably enjoyed far more personal satisfaction than those who measure their worth in dollars.)

It's easy for us to forget how much our success is owed to good luck. Everyone living has been born into the world at its most prosperous point. Everyone born in Australia starts with an enormous advantage over most other people in the world, in terms of free schooling and healthcare, freedom to choose their own path and freedom from predation. When we joke about the importance of choosing the right parents, we acknowledge the role of inheritance in influencing future success. Even when our parents have no great wealth to pass on, a big part of intelligence is inherited and academic success is greatly influenced by whether your parents were readers and valued education. I've long believed that the example set by parents produces hardworking children.

Chance events are more likely to be decisive in any competition as the number of contestants increases. That's because winning a competition with a large number of contestants requires that almost everything goes right. This, in turn, means that even when luck counts for only a trivial part of overall performance, there's rarely a winner who wasn't also very lucky. In the topical case of athletics, luck can come in the form of wind. It would be stupid to deny that anyone winning a world record in the 100 metres, the 100-metre hurdles, the long jump or the triple jump was both physically gifted and had done years of training. But of the eight current world records (men's and women's) seven occurred in the presence of a tailwind and none with a headwind.

Say there are 100,000 participants in a contest where luck counts for just 2 per cent performance, with ability counting for 49 per cent and effort for 49 per cent. For each contestant, the computer draws a number at random separately for each of the three components of their total performance. The computer repeated this game many times (just as repeated tossing of a coin brings the result closer to 50/50). The average luck score of the winners was 90 out of 100. And 78 per cent of winners did not have the highest combined ability and effort scores. But if luck plays such an important role in success, why do the successful so often want to deny it?

We downplay the role of luck so as to motivate ourselves to try hard. When I wish Year 12 students good luck in the exams, I sometimes add: "You know how to be lucky? Make your own. The harder you work, the better your luck." But there's often another, less worthy reason for denying our debt to good fortune. We use it to sanctify our wealth and justify our reluctance to pay high rates of income tax. I'm well off because I made the right choices, studied when I could have played, saved when I could have spent and worked damn hard. Those people in the outer suburbs are poor because they didn't work and sacrifice the way I did. I earned all I've got and it's quite unfair to tax me extra to give handouts to people who're too lazy or undisciplined to do what I've done.

That's why it's so important for successful people to acknowledge their good fortune.

- Ross Gittins

carr08

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Brighton Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: [2016 LA Club] Week 21
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:50:36 pm »
The piece, "Judged on merit, you better be lucky" by Ross Gittins, published on an online magazine, contemplates the contribution of mere luck and chance towards success. In a series of evaluative points made by Gittins underscored by a considered tone, the writer suggests that whilst hard work and grit are traits of monetary success, luck holds precedence in the criteria of accomplishment.

The title "judged on merit, you better be lucky", immediately poses the notion that even hard work and "merit" is founded on luck. This directs the readership to consider the dichotomy of luck and hard work as both being attributive to monetary success, encouraging them to read further to the piece that explores this very idea.

The questioning of "how important is luck in monetary success?" and "is luck important as hard work in becoming successful?" in the first body paragraph forces the reader to grapple and contend with the notion that luck is inherent to success. The necessity to force such a question derives from commonly held notions that chance is not precedent to accomplishment; rather, hard work embodies this role. This is suggested in Gittin's exploration of such reluctance - successful people are not "willing to admit" that luck could hold some influence over success being an outcome. Gittins suggests that such an admission is hesitant, indicated by dashes and commas, "no - but, in the end, yes", to show diverted thinking in one's evaluation.

Just a quick response - short intro and looking at the title and first body. I'm worried that my analysis is too much as I wont get time to finish the whole thing (you know... the 'do an entire essay in one hour' thing?). I usually analyse my LA's front to back but not sure how to speed up the process. This took me approximately 15 minutes. Edits and advice would be greatly appreciated! (and 'woo' to my first contribution to the atarnotes forum)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:52:56 am »
+1
The piece, "Judged on merit, you better be lucky" by Ross Gittins, published on an online magazine, contemplates the contribution of mere luck and chance towards success. In a series of evaluative points made by Gittins underscored by a considered tone, the writer suggests that whilst hard work and grit are traits of monetary success, luck holds precedence in the criteria of accomplishment I think I know what you're getting at, but this phrasing is a bit confusing; 'precedence' and 'criteria' aren't really the right words here.

The title "judged on merit, you better be lucky", given you're unpacking this so soon after the intro, you probably wouldn't need to quote it again. The smaller, more precise quotes you have later in this sentence are sufficient. BUT if you were given multiple written pieces (i.e. multiple titles,) then you should mention it again for clarity's sake immediately poses the notion 'pose' tends to work better for 'questions' - go for a stronger very like 'conveys the notion...' or 'implies that...' that even hard work and "merit" is founded on luck. This directs the readership to consider the dichotomy of luck and hard work as both being attributive to monetary success are there words missing here? 'luck and hard work are both attributive to monetary success and ____?' Or are you trying to say 'the author encourages readers to see both luck and hard work as attributive to monetary success?' <-- in that case, the sentence structure is a little confusing here, encouraging them to read further to the piece that explores this very idea steer away from generic phrases like this..

The questioning of "how important is luck in monetary success?" and "is luck important as hard work in becoming successful?" in the first body paragraph forces the reader to grapple and contend with the notion that luck is inherent to success. The necessity to force such a question derives from commonly held notions that chance is not precedent to accomplishment; rather, hard work embodies this role this is a bit outside the scope of the article. I know you go on to tie in how the author suggests this later, but this sentence strikes me as a tad evaluative. You won't need any background knowledge for L.A. so referencing 'commonly held beliefs' is risky, unless you're able to say 'the author positions X as a commonly held belief' and analyse from there. This is suggested in Gittin's exploration of such reluctance - successful people are not "willing to admit" that luck could hold some influence over success being an outcome. Gittins suggests that such an admission is hesitant, indicated by dashes and commas, "no - but, in the end, yes", to show diverted thinking this is great! Unpacking these kinds of details really strengthens your analysis :) in one's evaluation not too sure about this last little bit though - who's 'one' exactly? Could you be more specific here? (i.e. are we talking about the author, or the reader? Or someone else?).

Just a quick response - short intro and looking at the title and first body. I'm worried that my analysis is too much as I wont get time to finish the whole thing (you know... the 'do an entire essay in one hour' thing?). If that's the case, maybe try doing a piece under test conditions and see how you go. Don't stop when you hit one hour though. Let's say you get 3/4 of the way through and run out of time - mark the side of your page, and then just keep writing and finish things off. That way, you'll at least get practice in completing pieces (as a lot of students cut themselves off so often that when they actually do have time to write another body paragraph or a conclusion, they don't know what to do!) Then you can gradually cut down on your timing whilst still getting to practise your analytical skills. I usually analyse my LA's front to back but not sure how to speed up the process.
What do you mean 'front to back?' As in, you'll start from the end of the article and analyse bit by bit until you come to the start? This might be worth a read.
This took me approximately 15 minutes. Edits and advice would be greatly appreciated! (and 'woo' to my first contribution to the atarnotes forum) woo! Welcome! Enjoy the plethora of resources and awesome stuff here!

Really good start to this piece! Feel free to post some more body paragraphs if you want, or you can go back and work on some material from previous weeks to hone your skills :)

Let me know if you have any questions about ^these comments :)

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 03:17:38 pm »
In an online article, “Judged on merit, you better be lucky” published by Ross Gittins challenges the notion that being talented and working hard will ultimately lead to success. Gittins contends in a logical and analytical tone that success is only partly due to hard work and natural ability and that a large part of being successful is credited to having good fortune. Moreover, he asserts that it is important for successful people to acknowledge their good fortune and show an understanding to those who have not been blessed with the same fortunes rather than looking down upon them and stereotyping the less wealthy as “lazy” and “undisciplined”.

Gittins logically guides readers to see that luck plays an important role in determining success. He states that “almost every materially successful person is someone with ability who’s worked hard” thus positioning readers to see that he is reasoned and that he acknowledges the importance of hard work. However, he undercuts the argument by highlighting its “weakness” that there are “many talented and hard-working people who haven’t amassed much wealth”. Through this, readers are positioned to question whether indeed working hard will guarantee success and that perhaps luck plays a role in ensuring material wealth. He further asserts that “some have had the good fortune simply to have avoided any misfortune” suggesting that good fortune is not always some marvellous revelation but rather can be a subtle advantage that you have been given without realising it thus positioning readers to reconsider if they have unknowingly been blessed with ‘good fortune’. Gittins further compounds this argument by suggesting there are those who have been predisposed with good fortune merely by being born in the right time, in the right country to the right parents giving them “an enormous advantage over most people in the world”.  By highlighting the small predetermined factors that give one person an advantage over another, Gittins positions readers to see that people are not born equal and some will have better luck than others. 

By utilising an example Gittins states that it would be “stupid” to not acknowledge the years of training and talent athletes must have in order to compete in world championships suggesting that he is not undermining the merit of working hard. But he brings attention to the fact that “of eight of the current world records, seven occurred in the presence of a tailwind”. By highlighting the commonalities between world records, he suggests that what they have in common is not only hard work, talent and dedication but also rare luck of the tailwind thus positioning readers to see that good work ethic will only account for an aspect of one’s success. Furthermore, he uses probability data and empirical evidence stating that the “average luck score of winners was 90 out of 100” to reiterate his point and add credibility to his arguments thus encouraging readers to trust the mathematical data as it is unbiased.

Gittins shifts tones and by employing a more satirical and ironic approach he pushes readers to question why people choose to deny the role luck has on their success. He mockingly writes “I earned all I’ve got and its quite unfair to tax me extra to give handouts to people who’re too lazy or too undisciplined to do what I’ve done”. By emulating the mindset of successful people and portraying those who are unable to acknowledge their own luck as arrogant and self-righteous, Gittins encourages readers to evaluate their own success and the role lack has played in fear of being labelled conceited as well.

I kinda felt like I was summarising the piece more than analysing but I'm not too sure how to fix it & I wasn't too sure how to structure/organise the piece :( Any advice/feedback would be great!

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 11:27:41 am »
In an online article, “Judged on merit, you better be lucky” published by Ross Gittins challenges the notion that being talented and working hard will ultimately lead to success. Gittins contends in a logical and analytical tone that success is only partly due to hard work and natural ability and that a large part of being successful is credited to having good fortune. Moreover, he asserts that it is important for successful people to acknowledge their good fortune and show an understanding to those who have not been blessed with the same fortunes rather than looking down upon them and stereotyping the less wealthy as “lazy” and “undisciplined”. good overview of the piece, and well done for capturing the rather complex contention so succinctly!

Gittins logically guides readers to see that luck plays an important role in determining success. He states that “almost every materially successful person is someone with ability who’s worked hard” thus positioning readers to see that he is reasoned and that he acknowledges the importance of hard work. However, he undercuts the argument be careful when asserting that the author 'undercuts their own argument' - usually they're doing this to set up a broader point, rather than try and prove themselves wrong or anything by highlighting its “weakness” that there are “many talented and hard-working people who haven’t amassed much wealth”. Through this, readers are positioned to question whether indeed working hard will indeed guarantee success and that perhaps luck plays a role in ensuring material wealth. He further asserts that “some have had the good fortune simply to have avoided any misfortune” suggesting that good fortune is not always some marvellous revelation but rather can be a subtle advantage that you have been given without realising it excellent point! thus positioning readers to reconsider if they have unknowingly been blessed this might be a good opportunity to delve into the connotations of 'fortune' with ‘good fortune’. Gittins further compounds this argument by suggesting there are those who have been predisposed with good fortune merely by being born in the right time, in the right country to the right parents giving them “an enormous advantage over most people in the world”.  By highlighting the small predetermined factors that give one person an advantage over another, Gittins positions readers to see that people are not born equal and some will have better luck than others.  some strong analysis here, but it'd be even stronger if you linked this discussion to Gittins' overall contention at the end here.

By utilising an example can you use some more specific metalanguage here? Maybe 'by invoking a relatable example' or 'by including anecdotal evidence...' just having 'using an example' sounds a bit vague. Gittins states that it would be “stupid” to not acknowledge the years of training and talent athletes must have in order to compete in world championships suggesting that he is not undermining the merit of working hard. But he brings attention to the fact that “of eight of the current world records, seven occurred in the presence of a tailwind”. By highlighting the commonalities between world records, he suggests that what they have in common is not only hard work, talent and dedication but also rare luck of the tailwind thus positioning readers to see that good work ethic will only account for an aspect of one’s success. Furthermore, he uses probability data and empirical evidence stating that the “average luck score of winners was 90 out of 100” to reiterate his point and add credibility to his arguments thus encouraging readers to trust the mathematical data as it is unbiased. More great analysis, but again, this ending trails off a bit. It's not a formal requirement that you take the end of each paragraph back to the contention, but a simple 'Therefore... this is why the author does this' can really help tie things up neatly :)

Gittins shifts tones and by employing a more satirical and ironic approach he pushes readers to question why people choose to deny the role luck has on their success. He mockingly writes avoid using 'writes' as a verb - it's kind of like 'says' in that it's pretty simplistic/pedestrian - aim for a more descriptive verb to describe what the author's doing, if possible (I'll attach something to this post that might be of some use :) ) “I earned all I’ve got and its quite unfair to tax me extra to give handouts to people who’re too lazy or too undisciplined to do what I’ve done”. By emulating the mindset of successful people and portraying those who are unable to acknowledge their own luck as arrogant and self-righteous, Gittins encourages readers to evaluate their own success and the role lack has played in fear of being labelled conceited as well. MUCH better para conclusion here! More of this!!

I kinda felt like I was summarising the piece more than analysing but I'm not too sure how to fix it & I wasn't too sure how to structure/organise the piece :( Any advice/feedback would be great!
I'm not too fussed with structure since what you've done seems pretty reasonable here.

And, whilst I don't think you have a problem with lapsing into summary, I do think that the reason you may feel like you're summarising is that all your quotes are long! Every time you're including evidence from the piece, you're using ~10-14 words from the article to discuss. And whilst that's totally fine in moderation when you need to contextualise the example a bit, you want to be mixing this up with 'close' analysis where you unpack techniques or connotations. Having the occasional moment where you just pause and say "In particular, the author's use of the word/phrase "quote" is designed to evoke feelings of ____ in readers, in order to aid the author in implying that..." can help you avoid that summary issue :)