Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:33:30 pm

Author Topic: WEEKEND Q+A #11: MINITURTLE  (Read 4429 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: WEEKEND Q+A #11: MINITURTLE
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 06:28:28 pm »
+7
Do you have a favourite species of turtle? (Why?)

What’s been the most unexpected difference between high school and uni?

Here's the breakdown:

In first place: The leatherback sea turtle Dermochelys coriacea  What an innovative turtle, truly stunning. Turtles have been around for hundreds of millions of years and in the midst of all the species associated with that, the leatherback is well and truly unique. Turtles and tortoises have scutes (the "shapes" on their shells), all living species have them - expect the leatherback sea turtle, which instead has several bony ridges. The leatherback isn't a sterotypical green or brown, nooo, instead, it's black. The leatherback can dive deeper, swim faster, hold it's breath longer, grow larger... than the other turtles, which makes it really interesting. Also, they withstand cold conditions better than many other turtles, which is nice given that Victoria is a colder state compared to many in the country.

My favourite non-seaturtle turtle is the Eastern longneck turtle Chelodina longicollis which is the first turtle I ever saw in real life, and lives around Victoria (as well as other places). Apparently there are some in the JMR which I go in for enviro bio labs, but I haven't seen one there yet.

I also quite like the green sea turtle chelonia mydas which used to be my favourite turtle     (I've only memorised the scientific names for the ones I really like, I don't know all of them)

Most unexpected difference between uni and highschool? the demographics. I kind of knew this, but I wasn't really prepared for it. Sometimes it seems like 95% of uni students have been overseas, parents went to uni etc. and the family backgrounds and etnicities of students is also different to at my school. Both have/had diversity, but the diversity is more strongly represented in different areas.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 07:23:18 pm »
+5
This thread will be locked in just over half an hour, any questions posted before then will still get answered :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 07:29:56 pm »
+6
Do you think ATAR Notes has changed you at all, even if extremely slightly? If so, how?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 07:35:06 pm »
+5
What drew you to a specific field of science as marine biology?
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 07:43:26 pm »
+8
Do you think ATAR Notes has changed you at all, even if extremely slightly? If so, how?

Yeah it's definitely had an impact. Last year, I doubt I would've believed in my ability to achieve my goals as much as I did without atarnotes.

For example, I had a terrible physics SAC, felt horrible, and was giving up on my goals.  That's the day when I got my first message from an AN user.  They'd seen a post I'd made about my VCE biology experience, including that I had had a bad SAC which didnt end up influencing my score whatsoever. Their message asked my advice and indicated how much they believed in me. Once I saw that message I started being able to see that SAC in a different light and believe in my physics ability again.

It also gave me a deeper understanding of how the system works,  which was reassuring and useful.

More than that,  atarnotes has reinforced how much I love helping people learn,  and that I'll find a way to continue that throughout my career.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 07:47:50 pm »
+6
What drew you to a specific field of science as marine biology?

I have no idea why,  but I've always loved the oceans.

In grade one, one day I was reading one of my non-fiction texts on the ocean and it taught me that the people who study the oceans are marine biologists - in that moment I knew that that's what I wanted to do with my life.

Good question :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 08:03:28 pm »
+8
This thread is now locked!

If you have any further questions feel free to post them on my university journey journal or send me a message :)