Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:02:28 pm

Author Topic: Summer Schools  (Read 3967 times)  Share 

elaine

• Business Management Moderator
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
Summer Schools
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:15:12 pm »
Hi did anyone here go to the methods summer school to prepare for yr12?

If so, are they any good and which companies are the best?

And has anyone tried the "tsfx" 10 week intensive workshops?
apparently this guy used to get Cs, but then after the workshops he got an A. apparently. but it sure does sound lucrative lol.
[♥]

Defiler

Summer Schools
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:09:12 pm »
I'd personally just recommend going through the first 5 chapters of your textbook by yourself and trying to figure it out, and if you have any troubles just post 'em up on FSN. You'll get a big head start and the first SAC should be a breeze.

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Summer Schools
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:18:43 pm »
thanks that's helpful guys  :)
[♥]

JL_91

Summer Schools
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 05:24:02 pm »
i agree with defiler's suggestion, that's what i personally did. if you live close enough to springvale, try jack's...$20 for two hours and summary notes lol. i went there right up until he finished the course, then i stopped going to do my own revision my way

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Summer Schools
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:27:37 pm »
Quote from: "JL_91"
i agree with defiler's suggestion, that's what i personally did. if you live close enough to springvale, try jack's...$20 for two hours and summary notes lol. i went there right up until he finished the course, then i stopped going to do my own revision my way

omg $20 for 2 hours AND summary notes. wow.
do you have his contact details or something?
thanks JL
[♥]

bilgia

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
Summer Schools
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:34:48 pm »
jack is awesome lol.
My Subjects:
2006 I.T Systems --> 42
2007 English --> 40
         Methods --> 41
         Spec --> 38
         Chem --> 36
         Physics --> 37
         Unimaths --> 5.5

ENTER: 97.35

JL_91

Summer Schools
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:34:52 pm »
LOL yes, trust asians to be cheap and to the point. but really, i found it helpful when i was learning the course, and he is concise in the way he teaches the concepts. you may think differently, but you can just stop going if you don't like it. expect a PM from me in the tonight or tomorrow, i'll pass you the details

..otherwise, try out for Dr. He's maths bootcamp (the guy has a phd in maths apparently  :shock: ). my friend goes there, but she says only go if you can stand being made to feel extremely stupid

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Summer Schools
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:40:48 pm »
Don't worry too much about extra methods classes, it's much too stressful. If you do a bit of extra work in the holidays and then make sure you understand what's going on in class and do lots of practise questions you'll be fine. It's important not to fixate on your weaknesses, and trust that with time and practise (and help from us/your teacher) all your methods issues will sort themselves out. I started methods this year being seriously worried about the course and having to compete against the whole state in a subject that I perceive to be one of my weakest, but I shouldn't have wasted my time worrying because it all came together eventually - without extra help. And I'm sure you're better at maths than I am :)

Also, to some extent I think it's true that there is a limit to how much you can achieve in a year. For example, if you got all E's for your years at school, you probably won't get to A standard by the end of year 12. Obviously, your maths skills will develop throughout the year, but your skills will develop for all your subjects. You can't expect to improve in methods to such a large extent that a C student starts getting As, unless they're doing other maths subjects as well or they have neglected their other ones, or they've gone from really wasting time to being totally consciencious. I mean, I'm a big believer in working hard and doing your best, but realistically, you can't expect to improve that dramatically within a year and putting that much pressure on yourself may be unhealthy.

I don't know if these thoughts are relevant to you or not, but that's basically what I think about programs which say that they'll transform average/below average students in to brilliant students.

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Summer Schools
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:42:23 pm »
LOL Maths Bootcamp!! now i've heard it all. man intense

it's good if you can stop going if you don't like it. sometimes you feel obligated.

thanks heaps  :D
[♥]

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Summer Schools
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 05:43:36 pm »
I think C to A is a pretty reasonable gain, and I would actually support TSFX's claim that they can do that.

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Summer Schools
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 05:47:25 pm »
Quote from: "Eriny"
Don't worry too much about extra methods classes, it's much too stressful. If you do a bit of extra work in the holidays and then make sure you understand what's going on in class and do lots of practise questions you'll be fine. It's important not to fixate on your weaknesses, and trust that with time and practise (and help from us/your teacher) all your methods issues will sort themselves out. I started methods this year being seriously worried about the course and having to compete against the whole state in a subject that I perceive to be one of my weakest, but I shouldn't have wasted my time worrying because it all came together eventually - without extra help. And I'm sure you're better at maths than I am :)

Also, to some extent I think it's true that there is a limit to how much you can achieve in a year. For example, if you got all E's for your years at school, you probably won't get to A standard by the end of year 12. Obviously, your maths skills will develop throughout the year, but your skills will develop for all your subjects. You can't expect to improve in methods to such a large extent that a C student starts getting As, unless they're doing other maths subjects as well or they have neglected their other ones, or they've gone from really wasting time to being totally consciencious. I mean, I'm a big believer in working hard and doing your best, but realistically, you can't expect to improve that dramatically within a year and putting that much pressure on yourself may be unhealthy.

I don't know if these thoughts are relevant to you or not, but that's basically what I think about programs which say that they'll transform average/below average students in to brilliant students.

Awesome advice. yeah i thought maybe the whole "i went from Cs to As" was a little to good to be true lol.

Sometimes methods is just this alien language. For the course i want to get into, i need a 95 ( :shock: ) and I just want to get the best i can.
[♥]

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Summer Schools
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 05:52:12 pm »
Quote from: "coblin"
I think C to A is a pretty reasonable gain, and I would actually support TSFX's claim that they can do that.

really? hm maybe i could just try it.
i mean, what's the worst that could happen from the course anyway?
nothing to lose (well, except for a whole bunch of cash).
but if the results can be that substantial, it could mean difference between getting into Melbourne Uni or not lol.
[♥]

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Summer Schools
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 05:57:41 pm »
Quote from: "elaine98"

but if the results can be that substantial, it could mean difference between getting into Melbourne Uni or not lol.

Yeah, I went to it, and it's a pretty good course, if you actually listen and try to follow it. TSFX is heaps of fun, you meet new people and shit, but yeah, if you don't waste your time there as well (like school), then you can learn a lot from it.

I was the kind of person who didn't really need it, but my parents forked out the $$$ anyway.

elaine

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Summer Schools
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 06:00:13 pm »
Quote from: "elaine98"

Yeah, I went to it, and it's a pretty good course, if you actually listen and try to follow it. TSFX is heaps of fun, you meet new people and shit, but yeah, if you don't waste your time there as well (like school), then you can learn a lot from it.

I was the kind of person who didn't really need it, but my parents forked out the $$$ anyway.

lol i know, my parents will fork out anything for stuff that promises to boost my enter lol.
[♥]

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Summer Schools
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 06:08:02 pm »
Go to TSFX.

I found it really helpful.
oping for an ENTER of 99+