Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:52 am

Author Topic: 2018 AA Club - Week 16  (Read 3439 times)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
2018 AA Club - Week 16
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:09:11 pm »
+6
Seeking to debunk the commonly held belief that the acquisition of a second language becomes increasingly difficult with older age, Monika Schmid published an opinion piece in The Age.

Ignore the headlines: you can learn a new language - at any age

A new study on second language learning has recently taken the media by storm. A range of headlines – from the BBC to the Daily Mail and The Guardian – all trumpeted the depressing message that it’s impossible to become fluent in a foreign language after around age 10. All of these reports dramatically misrepresented the findings from the study, and the message they sent is flat-out wrong.

For one thing, the words “fluency” or “fluent” never even appear in the original study, published in the journal Cognition. There’s a good reason for this: fluency is not what the study’s authors, or any other scientists studying the effect of age in foreign language learning, are interested in.

Pretty much anyone can become fluent in pretty much any language at pretty much any age. It’s not even true that young children learn languages faster than older children or adults: if you expose different age groups to the same amount of instruction in a foreign language, the older ones invariably do better, both initially and in the long run. Learners of any age can achieve a brilliant, even native like, command of the vocabulary of another language, including such challenging structures as idioms or proverbs.

Linguists remain divided on what the reason is for the difficulty many older speakers have at fully mastering these most elusive pockets of grammar. Some – including the authors of the Cognition study – subscribe to what’s called the “critical window” hypothesis. They suggest we have a special mechanism in our brain which specifically enables us to learn a language, and that this mechanism is “switched off” around puberty – the age at which most speakers have mastered their native language.

Other researchers argue that there is nothing language-specific about the slightly worse performance of older learners. Rather, they suggest it is down to those changes of circumstances which tend to happen as people get older, such as having less time to learn, a decline in our general ability to learn and our memory skills, and a more stable sense of identity.

What is new about the Cognition study is that, by the usual standards of linguistic investigations, it uses a dataset of unprecedented size. Through an internet grammar quiz shared on social media, the authors collected almost 700,000 responses, two thirds of them from people for whom English was a second language. This allowed them to model the relationship between age of learning and proficiency in more detail than had previously been possible.
They found that the accuracy of the responses on the grammar quiz declined sharply for learners who began studying English after the age of 17, a long way off the age of ten, which is the age most of media reports focused on.

This study is a novel one, and I predict that we’ll see many researchers in future making use of such tools and collecting much more data than we have previously been able to. It will doubtlessly inform and shape the scholarly discussion about whether there is or isn’t a critical period for language learning. But the claim that its findings suggest that after age ten you are too old to learn a foreign language fluently is one of the worst misrepresentations of a scientific outcome that I have ever seen.

Questions of how and why micro-features of grammar are learned in a second language have important implications for linguistic theory, but they are of little consequence to the actual learner. You can become a perfectly fluent speaker of a foreign language at any age, and small imperfections of grammar or accent often just add to the charm.

Learn a new language. Learn a new instrument. Pick up a new sport. Or don’t do any of these. But whatever you decide to do or not do, don’t blame your age.

For some reason or another, I had issues uploading the visual. Please see the advised like, here , for access.
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: 2018 AA Club - Week 16
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:19:25 pm »
+3
Given the lack of responses, I've decided to extend this article to this week. Understandably, this is quite a large piece. However, you can simply pick out one paragraph (and link it to the visual, if you wish) and write yourself a small paragraph. Happy AA writing  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:28:43 pm »
Mine is handwritten, I've uploaded it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/03kaykalhk9y6vy/Practise%20-%20language%20learning-min%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0
Hopefull it's legible!

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:16:25 am »
Schmid contends to middle aged adults and organisations who conduct language tests amongst a varied age population, that age should not be a hindrance in trying to learn a new language.

Attempting to appear knowledgeable, Schmid suggests a new criteria to assess the definition of the word ‘fluent’ ; she suggests that it means to only be able to communicate with relative ease; people do not have to be proficient in a language. Using a highly colloquial style when Schmid repeats the adverb “pretty much” in “pretty much anyone” can become in “pretty much every language,” she attempts to reduce social distance with adults who may have lost hopes of learning a language after reading “depressing messages” from BBC. The informal conversational style is likely to make these adults feel comforted and their moral confidence is boosted when Schmid refutes “Cognition study findings.” She uses generalisations to transform a seemingly complex act of learning a new language into simplistic and energetically connoted language: “learners of any age can achieve a brilliant, even native like command…” In turn, adults are encouraged to pursue learning a new language, so that they will be benefited in a metaphorical “charm” – a magical ambiance in which imperfections in using a language will not be critiqued, but will rather be welcomed. The visual seeks to aggrandise Schmid’s stance. In the background, there are small shadows of the hands of children pointing to foreign language characters as they are learning it. However, in the foreground, a bigger shadow of perhaps an older teenager or adult is juxtaposed, implying that an older populous have an equal privilege to learn a foreign language just like young people; they can learn in the same manner as children can.

Shifting from a forthright to a mocking tone in what is in fact the pre-buttal in Schmid’s article, she desires to highlight the flaws in study theories which suggest comprehensive reasons as to why adults and English as a secondary language learners find it merely harder to learn a new language compared to their younger counterparts. In the pre-buttal, Schmid admits that language surveys and studies are indeed “novel” and that they will “doubtlessly inform and shape scholarly discussion.” But Schmid’s placement of his mocking undertones before he admits the benefits of these researches, means that his stance is dominating. His mocking of the various grammar tests is seen with his deliberate use of quotation marks around “critical window” and “switched off.” The scientific “hypothesis” of the special mechanism in our brain being “switched off” in an older age is ridiculed and undermined, thereby seeking to incite doubt in the readership’s mind about the validity and predictability of such findings. 

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:47:54 pm »
+2
First time doing this. Feel free to ask any questions you may, although, this has been based off of my own understanding; it might be wrong.

Schmid contends to middle aged adults and organisations who conduct language tests amongst a varied age population, that age should not be a hindrance in trying to learn a new language.

Attempting to appear knowledgeable, Schmid suggests a new criteria to assess the definition of the word ‘fluent’ ; she suggests that it means to only be able to communicate with relative ease; bit weird to have 2 colonspeople do not have to be proficient in a language. Using a highly colloquial style languagewhen Schmid repeats the adverb “pretty much” in “pretty much anyone” can become in “pretty much every language,” she attempts to reduce social distance with adults who may have lost hopes of learning a language after reading “depressing messages” from BBC. The analysis is seems good here. It shows who the language targets. But it doesn't really make sense. Consider removing the 'pretty much anyone' phrase twice. Perhaps write it like this: ...repeats the adverb 'pretty much' in the phrase 'pretty much anyone' to reduce social distance... The informal conversational style is likely to make these adults feel comforted and their moral confidence is boosted when Schmid refutes “Cognition study findings.” Link a little bit betterShe uses generalisations to transform a seemingly complex act of learning a new language into simplistic and energetically don't know whether 'energetically' is the right word connoted language: “learners of any age can achieve a brilliant, even native like command…” Good link here to go from the evidence to the reader In turn, adults are encouraged to pursue learning a new language, so that they will be benefited in a metaphorical “charm” – a magical ambiance in which imperfections in using a language will not be critiqued, but will rather be welcomed. Good, but try to integrate the visual into the paragraph more smoothly into the paragraph. Nonetheless, I think that this short sentence is really good! Excellent use of sentence typesThe visual seeks to aggrandise Schmid’s stance. In the background, there are small shadows of the hands of children pointing to foreign language characters as they are learning it. However, in the foreground, a bigger shadow of perhaps an older teenager or adult is juxtaposed, implying that an older populous have an equal privilege to learn a foreign language just like young people; they can learn in the same manner as children can. I think that a link is required here to tie it all back together. Just a question though; do you think that the image would rather enforce something else? Because by putting the adults to the foreground, the author emphasizes the adults? Just my interpretation, nothing wrong with yours!

Shifting from a forthright to a mocking tone in what is in fact the pre-buttal in Schmid’s thearticle, she desires to highlight the flaws in study theories which suggest comprehensive reasons as to why adults and English as a secondary language learners find it merely harder to learn a new language compared to their younger counterparts. This sentence is quite long. I think you should probably shorten it In the pre-buttal, Schmid admits admit implies he has hidden something- isn't he revealing something here? that language surveys and studies are indeed “novel” and that they will “doubtlessly inform and shape scholarly discussion.” But Schmid’s placement of his mocking undertones before he admits the benefits of these researches, means that his stance is dominating. His mocking of the various grammar tests is seen with his deliberate use of quotation marks around “critical window” and “switched off.” The scientific “hypothesis” of the special mechanism in our brain being “switched off” in an older age is ridiculed and undermined, thereby seeking to incite doubt in the readership’s mind about the validity and predictability of such findings. 

Quite good overall. I urge you to remember that this is my understanding only. I think that your analysis of what the language does, and how it works is good, but perhaps you could work on describing why the language used is persuasive (assuming it persuasive) and what actually makes it more persuasive.

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:09:37 pm »
+1
First time doing this. Feel free to ask any questions you may, although, this has been based off of my own understanding; it might be wrong.

Quite good overall. I urge you to remember that this is my understanding only. I think that your analysis of what the language does, and how it works is good, but perhaps you could work on describing why the language used is persuasive (assuming it persuasive) and what actually makes it more persuasive.
Hi there!
Thank you so much for giving me this feedback! :)
I really like your suggestions (especially how I should analyse persuasive impact, etc) !

Yeah I do agree with your image analysis interpretation! You could definitely say that! :)

Thanks a lot once again! I really appreciate it! :)

2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 10:43:12 pm »
+5
Mine is handwritten, I've uploaded it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/03kaykalhk9y6vy/Practise%20-%20language%20learning-min%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0
Hopefull it's legible!

Hey :)

I've just written down these things as I went through your writing:

1. Instead of 'Schmid scrutinises,' you can say say "Schmid disapproves their statements as "dramatically misrepresenting..."
because scrutinises only means to examine thoroughly, so you want something stronger here
2. I wouldn't say 'sinister nature' of the newspapers' assertions. That's too strong. Just say 'discouraging nature'
3. 'alternative viewpoint' rather than 'alternate viewpoint'
4. Nice analysis of argument construction / development (e.g. the idea behind your first para was about how Schmid disapproves, and then presents her own arguments, which contributes to stronger persuasiveness ) So keep doing this!
5. But you know what, the whole idea behind Schmid including the expert opinion whatever (e.g. about 'mechanisms' and 'switched off during puberty') I didn't think it was to make Schmid seem reliable/ have expertise...
I interpreted this completely differently and thought that Schmid is mocking those who assert that learning a language is linked to 'mechanisms' and puberty.
Because she mocks this flaw, she appears persuasive to convey her point, that adults can learn a language regardless of anything! Even when they're 17+ !
But don't take my interpretation for sure, I'm just putting my thoughts here
6. I can't read this word... 'Schmid retouses her piece...?" (I tried searching similar words, but nothing seems to match)
7. The part about 'internet grammar quiz' 'never even mentioning fluency' is unclear.
8. I really like the comparison between adult's busy lives, etc, and then children's ability to freely learn, etc (sorry I'm just summarising your point)

Overall, I like your verb choices and your analysis of why Schmid starts that way and ends that way. This is a good approach to analyse argument flow!
I do think at times you focus on this a bit too much, which means you had less time to focus on how readers would feel, what they would do, etc. But this is a small suggestion:)
Also, did you write about the image and I missed it, or were you just focussing on the written text?
(Sorry if I missed reading it!)

Hope I make sense in the comments above :)
Thanks!

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 11:43:28 pm »
Hopefully I am not too late...

This is just one paragraph, not a full LA.  TIA.  :)

By informing the audience of her extensive knowledge about linguistic studies, Schmid avers that the Cognition study is ‘one of the worst misrepresentations…[she] has ever seen’. The adverb ‘ever’ seems to suggest that Schmid has seen many of these misrepresentations before, except that this is the worst amongst them. Therefore, the statement that this is the ‘worst’ she has ‘ever seen’ seems to imply that the findings of the study are untrustworthy, in turn kindling a feeling of hope in older readers, who may be looking to learn new languages. This feeling is further strengthened by Schmid’s statement that fluency is ‘not what the study’s author’s… are interested in’, implying that age is an irrelevant factor when learning new languages. To build upon this, she suggests to the audience that it is indeed possible for ‘learners of any age’ to become not only fluent, but to achieve ‘a brilliant, even native like, command’ of another language. By including ‘learners of any age’ in this optimistic, declarative sentence, the author seeks to gain the approval of a wider audience. Ultimately, it is this approval that Schmid uses to support her initial attack on these reports, postulating that ‘these reports dramatically misrepresented’ the study’s results, asserting that they are ‘flat-out wrong’. Such loaded language suggests that, given the author’s experience with linguistic research, these reports have greatly sensationalised the difficulty, if any, older people may have when learning new languages. In this way, Schmid underscores the unreliable findings of the reports, suggesting to readers of ‘all ages’ that their age is not a limiting factor.

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:59:38 am »
+2
Hopefully I am not too late...

This is just one paragraph, not a full LA.  TIA.  :)

By informing the audience of her extensive knowledge about linguistic studies, Schmid avers that the Cognition study is ‘one of the worst misrepresentations…[she] has ever seen’. The adverb ‘ever’ seems to suggest that Schmid has seen many of these misrepresentations before, except that this is the worst amongst them. This sentence just seems a bit obvious and it doesn't add significantly to any analysis, but I really like your analysis of 'worst,' and if you mind, I'm just going to add in a few words to expand that. Therefore, the statement that this is the superlative adjective ‘worst’ she has ‘ever seen’ seems to implies that the findings of the study are untrustworthy and lack competence. From the outset itself, readers are implored to neglect the findings and instead divert to believing in Schmid's point that adults too can learn new languages. in turn kindling a feeling of hope in older readers, who may be looking to learn new languages. This feeling is further strengthened by Schmid’s statement that fluency is ‘not what the study’s author’s… are interested in’, implying that age could you make this link stronger? At the moment it's a bit unclear is an irrelevant factor when learning new languages. To build upon this, she suggests to the audience that it is indeed possible for ‘learners of any age’ to become not only fluent, but to achieve ‘a brilliant, even native like, command’ of another language. By including ‘learners of any age’ in this optimistic, declarative sentence, the author seeks to gain the approval of a wider audience. Ultimately, it is this approval that Schmid uses to support her initial attack on these reports, postulating that ‘these reports dramatically misrepresented’ the study’s results, asserting that they are ‘flat-out wrong’. Such loaded language suggests that, given the author’s experience with linguistic research, these reports have greatly sensationalised the difficulty, if any, older people may have when learning new languages. In this way, Schmid underscores the unreliable findings of the reports, suggesting to readers of ‘all ages’ that their age is not a limiting factor. Yes! This is really good!
Hey :)
I really like the way you've zoomed out and zoomed in!
By that I mean you've analysed why Schmid says the 'worst findings' at the start itself, and how that gives her freedom to assert her own points.
And you've zoomed in to focus on specific 'moments' or feelings about a certain sentence. So good job on doing this!

But, more argument tracking and development was possible :) (I guess this is just because you had only one para, so I'm just reminding you of this)
Finally, only write new analysis. The meaning behind couple of your sentences was redundant, so you could have analysed reader effect in that place a bit more :)

Good job!
Thanks! :)

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 07:48:33 pm »
Hey! This is my first post on Atar Notes so a little nervous ... I'm in yr 11 but thought theres no time like the present to start improving my writing skills for year 12. I wrote an intro and first body paragraph (which contains analysis of image so it's a little long - sorry) - any feedback would be greatly appreciated  :)

The opinion piece ‘Ignore the headlines: you can learn a new language - at any age’ written by Monika Schmid (The Age 21 May 2018) explores the long debated issue of the influence of age on foreign linguistic ability. Schmid employs a passionate yet concise tone in response to a new study which debunks the ‘common misconception’ that after the age of ten learning a new language is ‘impossible’. Schmid asserting to her audience, readers of the Age along with members of society that may be interested in the prospect of learning a new language, that no matter your age you can learn new skills with adequate practice and perseverance. Maintaining a conversational manner throughout the piece, schmid elucidates that past research into the issue has not focused on fluency, the influence of physiological factors on linguistic ability is debated by scholars along with the fact that this new piece of research is unparalleled in that it covers a larger sample size than past attempts and thus has more reliable results.

Understanding the influence of other trusted news outlets on her intended audience, Schmid begins by warning the readership to ‘ignore the headlines’ an idea reflected in the opening paragraph. Schmid lists a plethora of newspapers and government supported organisations such as the BBC and Daily Mail whom the reader is likely to respect the opinions of. By depicting these newspapers with a negative connotation from the beginning of the opinion piece, Schmid is able to elevate and validate the continually asserted fact that the influence of age on foreign linguistic ability is non existent. Schmid claims that the newspapers ‘trumpeted’ the news, a metaphor that is reminiscent of middle age monarchy and thus a lack of modern knowledge and understanding. This further ridiculing the opposition in the eyes of the reader. Schmid continues with a definitive tone saying ‘for one thing’ as if to list numerous flaws in the opposing news outlet’s portrayal of the story. The inferred listing through language is intended by Schmid to further attack the opposing view and again validate her own. Schmid explains that what ‘the BBC and Daily Mail’ have so drastically misinterpreted is the role of fluency in the research. Continuing the theme of debunking misconceptions Schmid exclaims that it ‘is not even true that young children learn languages faster’, the inclusion of ‘not even’ being a decision made by the author in order to elicit the idea that perhaps there is more regarding the issue that the readership are unaware of as a result of inaccurate reporting. This again reflecting the title and pivotal ideology to ‘ignore’ opposing ideas. Schmid follows this statement by finally revealing the true results which have been supposedly hidden by the other newspapers, ‘if you expose different age groups to the same amount [of foreign language] … the older ones invariably do better’. The word expose although being utilised by the author in order to convey the idea of continual practice also has an underlying allusion to the exposure of the falsified portrayal of the report which has been conducted by other newspapers. The accompanying image also elicits this idea of exposure, although it parallels the reinforced ideology that younger children do not do better. The image depicts several young children in a classroom environment exposed to foreign language. The location elucidates this idea of continual access to foreign language, to the reader, and thus complements the idea that it is exposure time rather than age which will result in the numerous hands up seen in the photograph.

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 09:57:29 pm »
Hey! This is my first post on Atar Notes so a little nervous ... I'm in yr 11 but thought theres no time like the present to start improving my writing skills for year 12. I wrote an intro and first body paragraph (which contains analysis of image so it's a little long - sorry) - any feedback would be greatly appreciated  :)

The opinion piece ‘Ignore the headlines: you can learn a new language - at any age’ written by Monika Schmid (The Age 21 May 2018) explores the long debated issue of the influence of age on foreign linguistic ability. Schmid employs a passionate yet concise 'concise' is more of a style word, rather than tone. That's because tone is got to do with feeling and you know the overall mood. But 'concise' is manner / style. So anything like colloquial, formal, informal, informative, etc that is style. tone in response to a new study which debunks the ‘common misconception’ that after the age of ten learning a new language is ‘impossible’. Schmid assertings to her audience, readers of the Age along with members of society that may be interested in the prospect of learning a new language, that no matter your regardless of age you one can learn new skills with adequate practice and perseverance. Maintaining a conversational manner throughout the piece, Schmid elucidates that past research into the issue has not focused on fluency. The influence of physiological factors on linguistic ability is debated by scholars along with the fact that this new piece of research which research? is unparalleled in that it covers a larger sample size than past attempts and thus has more reliable results. [/b]This sentence is very long, because you've got multiple clauses in there. e.g 'along with the fact that..' 'in that it covers' 'and thus has more...' Also, I do think you can save this for your body paras! Otherwise, good intro!

Understanding the influence of other This is a bit unclear, so do you want to say 'quoting other...'? trusted news outlets on her intended audience, Schmid begins by warning the readership to ‘ignore the headlines’ an idea reflected in the opening paragraph. Schmid lists a plethora of newspapers and government supported organisations such as the BBC and Daily Mail whom the reader is likely to respect the opinions of. By depicting these newspapers with a negative connotation from you need to give evidence here to proove the neg connotations the beginning of the opinion piece, Schmid is able to elevate and validate the continually asserted fact that the influence of age on foreign linguistic ability is non existent. Also mention that 'confuting the research, Schmid gains power from the outset to assert her point.' Schmid claims that the newspapers ‘trumpeted’ the news, a metaphor that is reminiscent of middle age monarchy and thus a lack of modern knowledge and understanding. Wow! I didn't know this! :) This is going into very very deep analysis already! This further ridiculing the opposition in the eyes of the reader. Schmid continues with a definitive tone saying ‘for one thing’ as if to list numerous flaws in the opposing news outlet’s portrayal of the story. The inferred listing through language is intended by Schmid to further attack the opposing view and again validate her own. Schmid explains that what ‘the BBC and Daily Mail’ have so drastically misinterpreted is the role of fluency in the research.you can delete this, because this idea is getting redundant now. Continuing the theme of debunking misconceptions Schmid exclaims that it ‘is not even true that young children learn languages faster’, the inclusion of ‘not even’ being a decision made by the author in order to elicit the idea that perhaps there is more regarding the issue that the readership are unaware of as a result of inaccurate reporting. This again reflecting the title and pivotal ideology to ‘ignore’ opposing ideas. do you see how this is getting repetitive? Have some new analysis. For example 'Schmid seeks to bring in equity the abilities of young people and adults, and in this way, entices adults to learn a new language.' Schmid follows this statement by finally revealing the true results which have been supposedly hidden by the other newspapers, ‘if you expose different age groups to the same amount [of foreign language] … the older ones invariably do better’. The word expose although being utilised by the author in order to convey the idea of continual practice also has an underlying allusion to the exposure of the falsified portrayal of the report which has been conducted by other newspapers. I can't understand this. Just because you've got many clauses in one sentence. What do you mean by 'continual practice' and 'underlying illusion'? The accompanying image also elicits this idea of exposure, although it parallels the reinforced ideology that younger children do not do better. What in the image makes you say this? The image depicts several young children in a classroom environment exposed to foreign language. The location elucidates this idea of continual access to foreign language, to the reader, and thus complements the idea that it is exposure time rather than age which will result in the numerous hands up seen in the photograph. yes! nice take on the image. However, see my suggestion about image analysis below:
Hello! Welcome to AtarNotes! :)
I must say, you're AA skills are very nice, considering it's Year 11 standard!
You know what writers place certain things at the start, and then how they move on to project their point as being right. So good job on that!

Just two tips:
1. Don't really say tone as 'passionate.' It's such a general tone word if you think about it, because every writer is passionate aren't they? That's why they chose to write a piece on that issue!
So try and be as specific as possible with tone words :)
2. With image analysis, look at people's expressions, the foreground, background, colour symbolism and juxtaposition.
for example, I didn't understand how you interpreted that young children do not do better after you looked at the image. If you saw that they were willing to learn, they were trying to write on the top of the board, etc, perhaps you'd interpret the image differently!
Do you know what I mean?

I really hope I didn't confuse you! Sorry!
But feel very good that you're doing the right things! :)

All the best! :)

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:04:08 pm »
+1
Hey - Thanks so much! really helpful feedback! None of my teachers have ever mentioned that point about tone but now that you bring it up it makes sooo much sense .. along with the advice for analysing images, images are definitely what I find most challenging. Thanks alot!