Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:46:45 am

Author Topic: Doing Physics 3/4 without 1/2  (Read 858 times)  Share 

sethmendis

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Doing Physics 3/4 without 1/2
« on: July 30, 2019, 07:30:49 pm »
Hi guys, so I created an account just to ask this question cus I'm a bit conflicted. I don't do physics currently and I can't switch into unit 1/2 now so I want to pick it up 3/4 however, some people are telling me it's difficult whilst others are not. I do methods, chem and bio this year and I'm getting over 80s for all the SACS but I haven't done physics since yr 10 where I did pre-IGCSE mixed science in New Zealand. I need to chose my final subjects by Friday this week so I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit. Do you think I should do it? And if I could pull it off, what areas of unit 1/2 would I need to understand. If I am gonna do it, I'm thinking of buying the 3/4 textbook and jumping straight into that in the holidays. Please help me out, my guts telling me to do it but my brain keeps changing my thoughts.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Doing Physics 3/4 without 1/2
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 07:47:48 pm »
+1
Hey! Welcome to ATARnotes :)

For any VCE subject the best information you can get on what's covered in it is by looking up the study design on the vcaa website. For physics, there is a pretty strong connection between units 1&2 and units 3&4 so you would be coming in at a disadvantage. Some of the circuit stuff carries over from units 1&2, and a lot of kinematics. You need to gain familiarity with the constant acceleration formulas; calculating kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, and elastic potential energy; momentum and work; newtons laws; and scientific communication and analysis type stuff (chemistry will help you a bit). I may be missing some from that list that I haven't thought of.

It's probably going to be a significant challenge, but if it was me I'd probably do it anyway rather than wondering 'what if' and being stuck in a subject I didn't like as much. I recommend not just using your textbook and also watching videos online - remember that you can ask us too if you have questions :)

Good luck!