Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:23:24 am

Author Topic: HSC Teacher Changes :(  (Read 1967 times)

cocomaru0713

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
HSC Teacher Changes :(
« on: April 10, 2018, 06:40:27 pm »
Hi there this is my first post on ATAR notes and just wanted some consolation on some news we received today at school
So the english teacher we had since the start of year 11 is being replaced by another teacher.
No doubt am I ABSOLUTELY devastated at this, but also she made class enjoyable, informative and she was just generally a very knowledgeable teacher for her young age --> which made her a really great teacher because she could relate to us and not be a 60 year old lady teaching us english ya feel?
Not only that, but we are already THREE modules in (we just finished AOS and did mod c term 1 (technically last year term 4)  and we are now starting mod b). It is so hard especially for a change in english teachers because theyve sort of build this, personal relationship with the class since year 11
Will I be fine? ;// im just really upset at this

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: HSC Teacher Changes :(
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:51:59 pm »
Hi there this is my first post on ATAR notes and just wanted some consolation on some news we received today at school
So the english teacher we had since the start of year 11 is being replaced by another teacher.
No doubt am I ABSOLUTELY devastated at this, but also she made class enjoyable, informative and she was just generally a very knowledgeable teacher for her young age --> which made her a really great teacher because she could relate to us and not be a 60 year old lady teaching us english ya feel?
Not only that, but we are already THREE modules in (we just finished AOS and did mod c term 1 (technically last year term 4)  and we are now starting mod b). It is so hard especially for a change in english teachers because theyve sort of build this, personal relationship with the class since year 11
hi cocomaru0713 =)

It will be fine =). Sure you've built this sort of personal relationship (as will the other students), but maybe the new teacher will make class fun too! Age does not necessarily determine a great from a bad teacher, but give her a try!

Don't enter class with a preconceived notion of how this teacher will be. Really =)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:04:02 pm »

Hi...
I had a very similar situation with our English teacher being switched term 4 last year (half-way through AOS).

After initially adjusting to my new teacher's style,  I think it has worked out quite well. One benefit that I have found is that it helped me to bounce around different ideas and get different perspectives on my writing and practice responses - instead of just having a narrow field of feedback going into the exams.

It will probably take a little bit of time to adjust, but hang in there!  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:06:56 pm by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:12:49 pm »
I have experienced the same thing but in year 11. Although the first few weeks may seem difficult, it definitely doesn't take long to get used to their teaching style. As for the building relationships, I think the fact that you're going through one of the most stressful years of your life is a pretty good way to build relationships! You will turn to your teachers more than anything this year so I wouldn't worry so much about that. You will be fine! Think of it as a fresh start and new perspectives.  :)
2018 HSC

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:42 pm »
Hey there,
I'm in the same situation with you, except we changed math teachers instead of english teachers. Personally, the change for me was a change for the better because my previous teacher cannot teach 3U stuff. I feel like she could be a bit better teaching general math from my observations of just helping out some general students in the library, but 3U stuff- she's really slow.

That being said, our class was hit hard with new expectations with a different math teacher. My previous math teacher wasn't following the scope and sequence and my current teacher didn't realise that until a few weeks before the exam. And on top of that, a lot of the people in my class have bad homework habits so it was a shock to them that my new math teacher checks homework every week. Is it bad that my new math teacher didn't realise the massive gaps in our learning? Big yes. And it's gonna impact our exams. But it was a change for the better.

Maybe your new teacher can be better at teaching? I find that older teachers have more experience and can control the class better. Give your new teacher a chance and then make your judgements. Just keep pushing on and if they turn out to be a bad teacher, maybe it's a calling for you to learn resilience :) (and to be honest, even though I hated my previous teacher, my experiences taught me to be more self-reliant on myself. In the end, you're doing the HSC, not the teachers).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:20 pm »
Hey!! I completely understand how you feel; my English teacher (who was teaching both my Extension and Advanced class) went on maternity leave last year so I got replacements for both classes (with 2 different teachers). I was devastated because not only did the class have a great relationship with her, but we connected on a personal level. She helped me so much with some shit that I was dealing with at the time, and honestly in short she was just incredible at listening to my problems AND teaching. When she left, I gave her long hug, expecting everything to go bad once she was gone. For Advanced, the teacher we got was honestly incredible, and SO SO knowledgeable. She's in her thirties as well like my other teacher, but she's had 12 years teaching experience and has taught multiple state ranking students (including a student who ranked 1st in Standard English). My main concern was that my new teachers wouldn't be as strict as my old teacher, because for me, this indicates that they're a good teacher and motivates me to actually do the work. Thankgod my new Advanced teacher had the same expectations as her, if not higher. For Extension, on the other hand, I got the sloppiest teacher ever and it did not seem like she gave a shit about even teaching the class properly to be frank. It was like she treated us as something "to do on the side". She also never checked homework, which was annoying and slowly contributed to my loss of motivation in that class. So, as a result, I've learnt that the first few weeks can be a bit tough at the onset of the transition; but generally after that it'll probably be better than you think. Don't hold onto preconceived notions. There is always a chance the new teacher is terrible, as I've experienced, but ultimately it's what you make out of what you have that counts.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

jessica mo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:49:33 pm »
During year 10 i had three teacher changes.
The first teacher i had he was my favourite and i had him for two years. We were even talking about advanced english for year 11 and i asked if he was teaching it. He said maybe. Then one day he disappeared without any warning. Some said he swore at the annoying year 7s or something, or threw things at kids. I didn't even get to say goodbye to him. Then we got a new teacher, a young female. She was alright, but not as good as my former teacher. She taught us for 2-3 terms before she went to another school to teach english there (We felt betrayed). Then i had another new teacher at the last term, currently my year 12 teacher. Had him for year 11 too. He gives us so much homework but it helps prepare us for the HSC with all the practice.

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:33:08 am »
+1
Hey!!!

I know exactly how you feel..... But just so you know this is what you are up against in your HSC.
A class that had Teacher A for Year 11 (an insane teacher I might add..)
Teacher A for Term 1 Year 12
Teacher B for Term 2 Year 12
Teacher C for first two weeks Term 3
Teacher D for the remainder of Term 3

So yeah..... take hope. There is always someone out there that is in more of a dilemma than you are....
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!