Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:39:14 am

Author Topic: Commuting to Monash 2019  (Read 1322 times)  Share 

nolanmcfarland

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Commuting to Monash 2019
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:28:44 pm »
I'm sure there are already posts about this somewhere, but I'd like someone to give me an updated view on commuting to Monash Clayton campus, as the public transport situation is always changing in Melbourne.

I'm moving to Melbourne to study here, but I literally don't know where to move as the campus is so difficult to commute to, and I need to simultaneously factor in access to food, transport, other amenities, etc. I've looked at student housing options near Clayton, which are great for getting to Monash which is obvs a high priority. However, I don't really know how accessible bus routes and supermarkets are, around the North Rd area. If anyone could tell me about that, that would be great. I know one area of student housing I found is a bit of a trek to Huntingdale station, if i need to go anywhere else, but it could be manageable, not sure yet.

Another option is living somewhere along the Pakenham line near a train station. Issue with this is I really wanna live alone, at least for the first year, and most suburban rentals are sharehouses or places with multiple tenants, which I really wanna avoid (moving to another state is stressful enough, dont really wanna put up with other people's bullshit in my own living area, to be frank). I could live in student housing/studio apartment in the CBD, as it is financially similar to student housing around Clayton, and I'm guaranteed access to all things I need to live comfortably. However, its a 50min commute to Monash one way, and a friend who goes to Monash has told me that lots of works are going on along the Pakenham line. This could mean replacement buses and frequent delays, meaning elongated commutes, which could stress me out. Honestly I'm okay with commuting, but I would like to keep it under an hour one way, if possible.

To people who commute to Monash from suburbs that aren't Clayton (particularly people that use the Pakenham line, or multiple train lines), how hard is the commute? Would I be crazy to live in the CBD, or even anywhere that's not Clayton/Huntingdale/other suburbs surrounding Monash? Should I really just be trying to live around Monash, even if it means giving up easy transport and access to services possibly?
EngAdv, EE1, EE2, M.History, Geo, VisArts, French

Arts/Law @ Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Commuting to Monash 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:07:07 pm »
+2
Imo public transport around the uni is extremely available.  There are works happening atm, usually they try to schedule them outside of semester (or that's how it seems at least).

CBD to Monash is usually under an hour (but not by much) in my experience.

If using ptv journey planner, I would use the Wellington Road option for monash

Good luck :)

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 03:22:15 pm »
+2
There are definitely works going on along the Pakenham/Cranbourne lines at the moment, but like miniturtle said, these are usually scheduled for off-peak seasons, and in most cases have not been disruptive for those travelling from the city. I believe that the current works are to upgrade the infrastructure in preparation for the new trains coming in mid-2019 :). I would much rather have these periods of disruption to improve our rail system for the future. Regardless, everything should be fine for when semester starts (in March).

Personally, I live in the north-western suburbs, and it reliably takes me 1 hour 20 mins to get to and from uni every day. It frankly is a long time (especially as it accounts for 3 hours of lost time every day), but it is possible (I've done it for 2 years already :P) and I did get used to it after a week or so. Some people suggest you can catch up on study during travel, but personally I just use it as time to relax. If you can organise your timetable so that you aren't at uni every day, this would be beneficial as you can have a day or so (depending on the course) off to do part time work, relax, private study, etc. You are definitely not crazy to be considering a ~1 hour commute - this is actually quite common among the people I've met (even among my friends at UniMelb), although it might be a bit of a change if you're used to living nearby your high school.

Hope that helps :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 05:23:20 pm »
+3
There are student apartments in North Rd that are single bedroom so you don't have to share with others :) If you go browsing on realestate.com.au and look around that area it should pop up. I think it's administrated by Student Housing Australia but not 100% sure. Along North Rd there's the 630 bus that goes to the uni.

Honestly Monash is pretty accessible in terms of PT. Most buses in the area stop at Monash :)