Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 06:37:44 pm

Author Topic: Having trouble interpreting unimelb's clearly-in rank  (Read 1533 times)  Share 

bazinsky

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Having trouble interpreting unimelb's clearly-in rank
« on: December 16, 2018, 04:44:22 pm »
If we take B.Com for example, the "lowest selection rank" is 93.05 but the "lowest ATAR selected" is 81.10.
The description for lowest ATAR selected states "This was the lowest selection rank to which an offer was made. It incorporates the ATAR plus any equity or other adjustment factors such as Access Melbourne".

Due to being under different headings, I assumed that lowest selection rank and lowest ATAR were DIFFERENT things, but the description for lowest ATAR says its the lowest selection rank? I'm very confused.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Having trouble interpreting unimelb's clearly-in rank
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:59:24 pm »
+3
Yeah I noticed that too, I think they've just got the wrong description there. If you look at the ATAR profile from the VTAC website it says the lowest selection rank was 90.35 and the lowest ATAR was 80.85.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 07:14:23 pm »
+1
I agree with PhoenixxFire, from other courses I have seen for example courses at Monash ( I know its not Melb but I'm assuming the terminology is the same?), the selection rank is the atar + adjustments whereas the lowest atar is the lowest unadjusted atar awarded an offer. Most likely a miss-type. You could contact the university through their hotline just to make sure if you wanted to.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:22:05 pm by 2130 »

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 08:25:13 pm »
+1
lowest selection rank is the "clearly-in score" which means last year if you got that ATAR of above, you would get into the b.comm - no matter what. If you had no access melbourne/SEAS etc. you would need that score or higher to get in (last year). the lowest selection rank score changes year on year based on supply and demand. the "lowest atar selected" which was 81.10 was the lowest atar of anyone at all who got into the bcomm. This person must have had MASSIVE equity considerations (low socioeconomic status, rural, medical disadvantage, etc.) because they got into the course with an atar 10 points below the clearly-in.

bazinsky

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 08:36:07 pm »
Cheers everyone. What are my chances of getting into a course with an ATAR lower but close to the clearly-in (higher than the "lowest ATAR selected")  and having only category 1 SEAS but no Access Melb?

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 01:42:42 am »
+3
you can call unimelb and ask them what they think your chances are and to see if you qualify for anything.
Looking at their access melbourne site when i got my atar - I didnt think that i would've got in, but I called them up and asked and they said I have a bunch of SEAS categories and I was like "oh shit for real" and they said "yeah and i mean we can't really say anything definitive but you sound stressed and im just letting you know if you put commerce as your first preference we will probably be seeing you in february" and im like "WOO fuck yeah"

so yeah call the uni, even if it sounds like you might not get in - leave it as first preference

Good luck!

bazinsky

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:52:44 am »
you can call unimelb and ask them what they think your chances are and to see if you qualify for anything.
Looking at their access melbourne site when i got my atar - I didnt think that i would've got in, but I called them up and asked and they said I have a bunch of SEAS categories and I was like "oh shit for real" and they said "yeah and i mean we can't really say anything definitive but you sound stressed and im just letting you know if you put commerce as your first preference we will probably be seeing you in february" and im like "WOO fuck yeah"

so yeah call the uni, even if it sounds like you might not get in - leave it as first preference

Good luck!

Much appreciated  :)