Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:54 am

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 46803 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2020, 05:37:38 pm »
+6
Great to see that the numbers are going down in Victoria but there is still a long way to go so hopefully we don't get complacent.

The government suggested they will be easing restrictions on Sunday (and possibly be more relaxed than anticipated in the "roadmap").

What changes, if any, outside the normal "roadmap" would everyone like to see?

It'd be cool to have household bubbles implemented early since being in a sharehouse + no intimate partner means I haven't been able to visit anyone. I understand that might not be feasible but yeah that.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2020, 03:33:31 pm »
+10
In Melbourne, you can have 1 visiting event per day with up to 2 adults (and any dependents that need to come) from the same household per day. This means that if you visit your friend, you can't visit any other house, and they can't have anyone else visit. Slightly more complicated than the bubble IMO, but the flexibility is really nice - particularly being in a sharehouse.

On top of that, still only allowed up to 10 in a public space - but no more household limit on the 10!! This is very nice. This is very happy making me. Can finally meet up with all my friends.

Also, twitter is great right now. #NoBeersForScotty and #NoBeersForNewsCorp are both trending, and it's hilarious

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2020, 03:34:57 pm »
+5
In Melbourne, you can have 1 visiting event per day with up to 2 adults (and any dependents that need to come) from the same household per day. This means that if you visit your friend, you can't visit any other house, and they can't have anyone else visit. Slightly more complicated than the bubble IMO, but the flexibility is really nice - particularly being in a sharehouse.

On top of that, still only allowed up to 10 in a public space - but no more household limit on the 10!! This is very nice. This is very happy making me. Can finally meet up with all my friends.

Also, twitter is great right now. #NoBeersForScotty and #NoBeersForNewsCorp are both trending, and it's hilarious
Also trending was Kmart and #GetOnTheBeers 😂
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:22 pm »
+12
Also trending was Kmart and #GetOnTheBeers 😂
How about doughnuts and related hashtags? I heard that doughnuts were free at a couple of places yesterday to celebrate the lack of new cases, but not sure if truth or myth.

On a public transport note of things, literally the next day after Dan Andrews mentioned “businesses can reopen” (this morning), the train was the most packed I’ve seen it in months. (I’ve been taking public transport regularly during the entire pandemic, as I’m an “essential worker”.) That says a lot.

Granted, the train was 5 mins late, but for a train before peak hour and on a relatively OK (not too busy, not too empty) line, it was strange to not get a socially distanced seat and have to stand for once.

I just hope the coronavirus cases don’t rise much again with the (somewhat gradual) reopening of metro Melbourne.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2020, 07:23:38 pm »
+12
On a public transport note of things, literally the next day after Dan Andrews mentioned “businesses can reopen” (this morning), the train was the most packed I’ve seen it in months. (I’ve been taking public transport regularly during the entire pandemic, as I’m an “essential worker”.) That says a lot.
This is why I'm rerouting myself out of the city for the rest of the week, because I'm terrified of being back to packed trains (I'm going to swap out at North Melbourne and go via Upfield line instead of via Flinders/Loop). Both my trains today were empty, and so was the bus to/from Royal Park though, so hopefully still as good tomorrow!

It appears that "peak" time where it's not so distanced on my line is around 2:30ish atm - which makes sense given I think that's when most inner-city kids knock off haha.

I just want to go to my grandma's - I can't recall a single time I've seen her this year, even before COVID :(

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2020, 08:37:31 am »
+12
Day 1, peak hour of new rules: there's a few more people on my train (I count 11 including myself at Footscray), but all properly distanced. Shame that a few people still have their noses out of masks though.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2020, 11:59:00 am »
+8
Day 1, peak hour of new rules: there's a few more people on my train (I count 11 including myself at Footscray), but all properly distanced. Shame that a few people still have their noses out of masks though.
Hopefully, everyone maintains social distancing and continue to wear masks. I think with social distancing people generally do it when it is really easy to do with a small amount of people but once it starts getting more crowded people tend not to go out of their way to make distance.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2020, 09:54:04 pm »
+2
How about doughnuts and related hashtags? I heard that doughnuts were free at a couple of places yesterday to celebrate the lack of new cases, but not sure if truth or myth.

I didn't hear about the donut thing till yesterday, went looking in my local grocery store, and found some Halloween donuts.  Maybe a mixed message, but they're really nice donuts :)

Hopefully, everyone maintains social distancing and continue to wear masks. I think with social distancing people generally do it when it is really easy to do with a small amount of people but once it starts getting more crowded people tend not to go out of their way to make distance.

I think if we ever get the fabled "office workers able to work from home can return" message, like was originally planned for July, we may have masking on trains but won't have capacity for social distancing.  But I'm assuming the government will be even more cautious with that than they were in June, so who knows when or if it will happen.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2020, 10:35:33 pm »
+4
Not Aus related but the US has reported 102,831 new COVID-19 infections as of today. Their first six-figure number since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2020, 03:01:27 pm »
+2
Not Aus related but the US has reported 102,831 new COVID-19 infections as of today. Their first six-figure number since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Record was broken again today: 118k cases

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2020, 01:40:12 pm »
+7
Recently crossed a total of over 50 million confirmed cases worldwide.

Ujiron

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2020, 05:00:46 am »
Any news on the new virus in UK? Is it really bad there?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2020, 10:54:36 am »
+3
Any news on the new virus in UK? Is it really bad there?
Did you mean the new strain of COVID-19 in the UK?

Here’s a link to an article about it, but basically it’s currently believed to have originated from South Africa, some travellers who came from Britain have got said strain in Australia (but AFAIK, they’re in quarantine) and it’s said to be 70% more transmissible (i.e. 70% more likely to “catch” it).

In terms of situation in UK, they’ve been coming in and out of lockdown. Case numbers are still worsening there. Here’s an article on the situation there. :(
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2021, 02:08:00 pm »
Any much news on the new lockdown in Victoria?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Duck Tails

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2021, 02:16:20 pm »
+2
Any much news on the new lockdown in Victoria?

5 day lockdown. Stage 4 restrictions (only leave home for 4 essential reasons) from midnight tonight.

Well this is shit.
KLD Class of 2022
VCE 2021: Biology [41], Religion and Society [34]
2022: Chemistry, Methods, Revolutions, English Language