Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:44:54 am

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 336347 times)  Share 

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 09:48:48 am »
Is a maths unit compulsory in the double degree comm/sci (it says sta1010 excluded) ??

The STA1010 (Statistical methods for science) cannot be used to satisfy the Maths requirement in the Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science course. The Maths requirements still needs to be satisfied and there are other units that you can choose from. However, if you are doing the Bachelor of Science single degree you can still use STA1010 to satisfy the Maths requirement of the course.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 09:51:09 am »
So for law at Monash, the guarantee program states that a 94 atar is the minimum required if you qualify for one of the categories.
Lets say you qualify for 2 or 3 seas categories does that mean theres a chance of getting in with an atar below 94 , or is 94 the lowest you could possibly achieve?

The ATAR scores listed in the Monash Guarantee program are your raw ATAR scores. This means that any bonus schemes such as SEAS and Subject Bonus cannot be used to meet the ATAR requirements outlined in the program. With the example of Law you would need to achieve a raw ATAR of 94 and meet the eligibility requirements for the program. If, for example, you achieved an ATAR of less than 94 then you would not qualify for Law under the Monash Guarantee program. This would be regardless of how many points you were awarded under SEAS and Subject Bonus schemes.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 06:07:52 pm »
Are we allowed to complete say 3 or 5 units in a semester? Or is it typically 4 with exceptions.
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 04:59:19 pm »
Would you be able to do a diploma of languages at Monash uni, while studying any other degree at monash? (What about if you were studying another degree at a different university?)

Also, if I wanted to do a diploma in languages at Monash, would I have to enter this in my VTAC preferences?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:04:06 pm by RazzMeTazz »

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 10:44:57 am »
+1
Does the Uni help with work placement, and industry exposure for Engineering, or is that something the student has to do themselves.

Secondly, with the double degree in Engineering/Science, is the Science major for limited fields, or do all possible areas apply? Apparently I've heard it has to tie in with your Engineering study as well.

Also you could argue this final question is for some constructive banter, but why choose the Monash Engineering Pathway as opposed to Melbourne's? ;)

The Faculty of Engineering at Monash strongly recommends that all undergraduate engineering students complete 12 weeks of vacation employment. Engineering departments and Career Connect at Monash assist in helping students find suitable vacation employment. Some more information can be found here http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/current-students/vacation.html
There are also several programs in the Faculty of Engineering that students can get involved in to gain industry experience. Some examples are below:

http://www.monash.edu.au/students/scholarships/research-projects/index.html
http://miti.monash.edu/
http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/current-students/merit/leadership/
The science majors that can be studied as part of the Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Engineering double degree can be found here under the 'Overview' and 'Science' tabs http://www.study.monash/courses/find-a-course/2016/engineering-and-science-e3007?domestic=true
While I cannot comment on Melbourne University’s offerings I can say that the Monash offering gives you the opportunity to qualify in your chosen discipline as part of your undergraduate degree. The Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) is a full engineering qualification in the sense that you are work ready at the end of it. The advantage of qualifying via your undergraduate degree is that it usually ends up being a little quicker and Monash undergraduate degrees are commonwealth supported. Monash also offers a 1 year Masters in Engineering as well for those that wish to gain an additional qualification.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »
You fine friends wouldn't happen to know when the 2016 handbook comes out, would you?

uoiea

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2015, 04:15:10 pm »
Hi,

about the process of transferring to Monash from other universities -

http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/4632/domestic-requirements.html?courseview=domestic

Does the above page imply that Monash still considers ATAR even after an entire year at another uni? Are there any indicative entry standards (e.g 70% average) for start of year transfers?

Bump, VTAC applications are due 30th so I need an answer if possible, thanks
14: VCE
15-17: in a coma
18: BCom

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 08:55:14 am »
Bump, VTAC applications are due 30th so I need an answer if possible, thanks
I've been told that after a year at uni it's your uni marks that count when transferring, however if it was mid semester then your ATAR will also have been looked at.

Don't take my word for it though.
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:54 pm »
+1
Are we allowed to complete say 3 or 5 units in a semester? Or is it typically 4 with exceptions.

The standard full time academic work load is 24 credit points. This translates into 4 units per semester assuming 6 credit points per unit, which is the case for the majority of units.

Doing less than 4 units is referred to as under loading and this is possible for courses that allow part time study. There are other considerations when under loading such as when a particular unit you are planning to take is run next. Considerations when picking units tend to be specific to each student’s circumstances and the course they are enrolled in. For this reason it is advisable to talk to your course coordinator who will be able to provide more specific advice.

Doing more than 4 units is referred as overloading and this is not generally allowed. The some cases overloading is only permitted after seeking special permission from your faculty. Your academic average among other things will be used to determine if you will be able to cope with the additional load.

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 02:03:31 pm »
+2
Would you be able to do a diploma of languages at Monash uni, while studying any other degree at monash? (What about if you were studying another degree at a different university?)

Also, if I wanted to do a diploma in languages at Monash, would I have to enter this in my VTAC preferences?

The Diploma of Languages can be added onto any Monash University degree including undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. You can enrol into Diploma of Languages only after enrolling into your primary Monash course. It is recommended that you enrol into the Diploma of Languages in the first year of your principle degree. The reason for this is that the Diploma of Languages is a sequential course and on its own would take between three and four years to complete. If you were to start it in the final year of your principle degree you would be undertaking the Diploma of Languages for another three to four years. You would not be able to enrol into say 4 language units in one semester.

You cannot undertake the Diploma of Languages if you are studying at another university.

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 02:04:40 pm »
You fine friends wouldn't happen to know when the 2016 handbook comes out, would you?

The handbook is published on the 1st of October every year.

Rosa62

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Melbourne Girls
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 08:19:27 am »
If you don't have the required WAM to transfer, can you just enrol in the units you want to do (as in units in the course you hope to transfer into) and just transfer later? I think by doing units in the course I want to transfer into, I could get a high enough WAM to officially transfer.

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 12:17:13 pm »
+1
If you don't have the required WAM to transfer, can you just enrol in the units you want to do (as in units in the course you hope to transfer into) and just transfer later? I think by doing units in the course I want to transfer into, I could get a high enough WAM to officially transfer.

If your course structure allows for it, you could enrol in units from a course you are hoping to transfer into.  This should allow you to gain credit for those units should you be successful in gaining a transfer later.

MNM101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 09:38:45 pm »
I want to apply for pharmacy in parkville and am eligible for seas due to Centrelink benefits, if I get above the ATAR requirement(84) rather than the clearly in (92) and meet the course requirements will I be guaranteed entry into the course?

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2015, 09:40:47 pm »
What is the atar requirement for biomedical science at monash (clayton) with SEAS (all four categories) ?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)