Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:12:08 pm

Author Topic: How much better is Melbourne from a social perspective compared to Monash?  (Read 1708 times)  Share 

a5hr0nixa

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Just read the title and let me know so I can choose for next year.  ;D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
+7
Like most unimelb vs Monash questions it is debatable. From the way you phrase the question (+ posting in the unimelb board) it seems like your initial position is that you feel like Melbourne is better socially than Monash.

I think it would be hard to get a fair answer on this since you would need the cross-section of students who went to both universities and acted in similar ways act both unis.

Personally, I went to Monash and I didn't find any real disadvantage socially there. As cliché as it is you only get as much as you put in. You can easily just go to university and go straight home and only do uni work with little social activity at uni but if you want to have a strong social life that is also very possible. The university you choose won't impede on that.

a5hr0nixa

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Like most unimelb vs Monash questions it is debatable. From the way you phrase the question (+ posting in the unimelb board) it seems like your initial position is that you feel like Melbourne is better socially than Monash.

Honestly have no clue, just wanting some external opinions.

Melbourne seems better because its closer to the CBD

On the other hand, Monash seem's like it would have less stuck up assholes because of the prestigiousness of Melbourne.

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on that?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
+1
Honestly have no clue, just wanting some external opinions.

Melbourne seems better because its closer to the CBD

On the other hand, Monash seem's like it would have less stuck up assholes because of the prestigiousness of Melbourne.

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on that?
Yeah, I would kind of agree that unimelb can be a bit more convenient in terms of restaurants and shopping given its location with respect to the CBD. However, Monash still definitely has a heap of places on campus and it is possible for students to take the bus to Chadstone sometimes.

Idk about the "prestigiousness",   it doesn't really matter but at the same time, there isn't really a difference in the "prestige" level of Monash/unimelb.

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
Tbh I'm not too involved with the social side of things at university but you definitely get 'stuck up assholes' at both universities.  However in general people at Monash tend to be more 'chill' since people at Melbourne are more career-minded and competitive in terms of trying to a job, boost their resume etc.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]