Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 04:16:59 pm

Author Topic: Is my school going slow in methods?  (Read 795 times)  Share 

Unknown-111

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Is my school going slow in methods?
« on: September 18, 2020, 02:06:51 pm »
Hey guys,
I am freaking out I found out that my school is so behind in methods. This year we barely did any topics and I am freaking out cuz next year unit 3/4 will be hell. I heard some schools are so ahead that they have already finished unit 1/2 and we barely finished unit 1, I honestly don't know how we can finish all the content unless we drastically pick up the paste. Can you guys tell me how ahead your school is?

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
Re: Is my school going slow in methods?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 02:24:37 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
I am freaking out I found out that my school is so behind in methods. This year we barely did any topics and I am freaking out cuz next year unit 3/4 will be hell. I heard some schools are so ahead that they have already finished unit 1/2 and we barely finished unit 1, I honestly don't know how we can finish all the content unless we drastically pick up the paste. Can you guys tell me how ahead your school is?

Probably the most constructive thing to do is (1) Identify what you HAVE covered, (2) Identify what you still need to cover, for Units 1&2, and (3) come up with a schedule for completing that content before the beginning of next year.

Remember that Year 11 courses will vary a lot between schools, because it's not as tightly standardised as Units 3&4. While some schools may have finished Units 1&2 (I teach it, and we've finished), it would be fairly common for many schools to still teach new content for a substantial part of term 4.

Unknown-111

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 02:48:14 pm »
Probably the most constructive thing to do is (1) Identify what you HAVE covered, (2) Identify what you still need to cover, for Units 1&2, and (3) come up with a schedule for completing that content before the beginning of next year.

Remember that Year 11 courses will vary a lot between schools, because it's not as tightly standardised as Units 3&4. While some schools may have finished Units 1&2 (I teach it, and we've finished), it would be fairly common for many schools to still teach new content for a substantial part of term 4.
We covered quadratics, circular functions, a bit of probability, a bit of polynomials, and like I said we legit barely dented those topics before moving on. I honestly think my school will really struggle next year. We haven't covered any topics in great detail (in the Cambridge textbook our school did like a couple of exercises for each and just moved on, while there are like 10+ exercises for each topic), one of my friends said her school is already finished with unit 1/2 while our school barely finished unit 1. Our teacher said a lot of stuff had to be cut out or just fully skipped. We don't have that much left of school, our school finishes early too LMAO. I am looking into next year and honesty can't see myself being at the level that I am suppose to be.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:53:34 pm by Unknown-111 »

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 03:08:01 pm »
So before next year, work through the parts that you missed. Read the worked examples in the textbook, watch some videos from here: https://mathsvideosaustralia.com/victoria/victoria-maths-methods-unit-1-2/ and do the questions.

Before next year make sure you have covered some calculus (chapter 17, 18) and exponential / logarithmic functions (chapter 13).

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:20:55 pm »
My teacher covers 2-3 topics every lesson. We are now up to chapter 20.