Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 10:02:35 am

Author Topic: How to stop sucking in Methods 3/4  (Read 1058 times)  Share 

Genshai

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
How to stop sucking in Methods 3/4
« on: August 22, 2020, 10:26:13 am »
Hi AN !

I absolutely suck at methods and i really don't like it, but its a pre-req for the course I want. I need a 25 ss, but honestly I don't know if I can even get that. Covid /really/ messed up my methods mojo, but I can't do anything about the past now. So, I guess I'm wondering if you have any exam prep tips for someone in this situation? What exam score would get me a 25?

Thanks in advance !!
2019: Biology [40]
2020: English [35], Methods [27], Art [36], Revs [38], Chem [29]

ATAR: 87.85

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: How to stop sucking in Methods 3/4
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 10:52:04 am »
+5
Hi AN !

I absolutely suck at methods and i really don't like it, but its a pre-req for the course I want. I need a 25 ss, but honestly I don't know if I can even get that. Covid /really/ messed up my methods mojo, but I can't do anything about the past now. So, I guess I'm wondering if you have any exam prep tips for someone in this situation? What exam score would get me a 25?

Thanks in advance !!
First things first: if it's a prereq, and you don't like it, what's the chance you'll also not like whatever course you want to do?

What I find useful myself is making my own bound book: it forces me to summarise things the way I would understand them. Also, then if you need to use it in the exam, you should know more about where to find stuff. I did this for the U3 SAC. I found mapping out the functions on my CAS (and researching some I didn't know) useful, as even though I barely used my bound book, even having gone through that more, I knew 'oh I can do this with the CAS' or 'oh I need to change it somehow' or something. So that would be my first suggestion.

Also: practise practise practise. That's the biggest one. Make sure you understand how and not just follow steps. Lots of practise.

Hope this helps. I'm also only a year 12 student though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 02:01:20 pm »
+6
First things first: if it's a prereq, and you don't like it, what's the chance you'll also not like whatever course you want to do?
I would be cautious in saying this. Sometimes the Methods prerequisite is a bit of a culling tool and the institute simply wants to know that you’ve got some math/ problem solving/ STEM capability to begin with, whereas other times it’s actually necessary to know how to solve an integral or calculate the probability of X occurring. It depends on the course itself how relevant it will be. I would be careful when generalising that the one Genshai or anyone else wants is one where liking Methods = liking their desired  course. (For some irony, there’s a quite a lot of healthcare workers/ biology graduates who would say  that Methods was their least favourite/ worst subject in VCE but did it because it’s a prerequisite, then subsequently loved/ did well in their uni studies which had little relevance to Methods.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 02:15:48 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:18:13 pm »
+1

Methods is a pre-req for many things who have no maths whatsoever. It’s not like chem where if it’s a pre-req there’s definitely at least SOME science of some sort so it’s questionable whether you’ll like the course. But yes as the user said above it’s more like a quick sieve for the uni.
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 07:14:36 pm »
+2
Hey I'm in a similar situation to Genshai.

Aiming for a 25 - 30 range for Methods for prereq. There's roughly 2.5 - 3 months until the Methods exams and on a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of how well I understand the content, I would rate it at around a 2. However due to the limited time and the fact that this is a bottom 2 subject and therefore I don't exactly need to get above a 30, should I start doing practice exams and learn the content through that way or should I basically just start learning the content before doing prac exams?
Also, if i just have a good grasp on Calculus and Probability, how far will that get me in the exams?
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 09:04:42 pm »
+4
Hey I'm in a similar situation to Genshai.

Aiming for a 25 - 30 range for Methods for prereq. There's roughly 2.5 - 3 months until the Methods exams and on a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of how well I understand the content, I would rate it at around a 2. However due to the limited time and the fact that this is a bottom 2 subject and therefore I don't exactly need to get above a 30, should I start doing practice exams and learn the content through that way or should I basically just start learning the content before doing prac exams?
Also, if i just have a good grasp on Calculus and Probability, how far will that get me in the exams?
I would personally try learning through exam questions unless you have absolutely no clue about the content. Learning through questions and comparing your answers to the solutions will help you improve your exam taking skills and put you in very good stead for a 25-30 ss! I hope this helps ThunderDragon and Genshai :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university