Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:36:08 am

Author Topic: energy from fuels question  (Read 900 times)  Share 

lonelywhale._

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
energy from fuels question
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:07:03 pm »
Hello,
Could someone please help me with the following question

How much energy (in kJ) is released by combustion of one mole of methane if the percentage converted to carbon monoxide (with the balance converted to carbon dioxide) is:
i. 0%
ii. 20%
iii. 100%
thank you  :D :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: energy from fuels question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 05:46:55 pm »
+3
Hey,

Welcome to the forums!

For this question you need:
- The amount of energy from the reaction where methane is combusted and CO2 is a product
- The amount of energy from the reaction where methane is combusted and CO is a product

Then it's a matter of working with percentages.

Do you have an idea of how to approach any of the question parts?

lonelywhale._

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:41:24 pm »
Hey,

Welcome to the forums!

For this question you need:
- The amount of energy from the reaction where methane is combusted and CO2 is a product
- The amount of energy from the reaction where methane is combusted and CO is a product

Then it's a matter of working with percentages.

Do you have an idea of how to approach any of the question parts?

I know the amount of energy released for both reactions but I don't understand what the question is asking

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 12:20:23 pm »
+1
I know the amount of energy released for both reactions but I don't understand what the question is asking

Ok sure.

In part a, all of the methane follows the equation: CH4 + 2 O2 -> CO2 + 2 H2O so you simply use the heat of combustion of this reaction

In part b, only half of the methane follow that reaction and half follows CH4 + 1.5 O2 -> CO + 2 H2O  so you need to find half of the energy released by each reaction and add them together (note! if your equation is presented as 2 CH4 + 3 O2 -> 4 H2O is you need to find 1/4 of the energy output for this one instead of half!)

In part c you need to find the energy released by CH4 + 1.5 O2 -> CO + 2 H2O   (note! if your equation is presented as 2 CH4 + 3 O2 -> 4 H2O is you need to find 1/2 the energy output of that)

Hopefully this helps clear things up?

Please feel free to reply letting me know if you understand what the question wants and why :) 

lonelywhale._

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 01:30:13 pm »
+1
Ok sure.

In part a, all of the methane follows the equation: CH4 + 2 O2 -> CO2 + 2 H2O so you simply use the heat of combustion of this reaction

In part b, only half of the methane follow that reaction and half follows CH4 + 1.5 O2 -> CO + 2 H2O  so you need to find half of the energy released by each reaction and add them together (note! if your equation is presented as 2 CH4 + 3 O2 -> 4 H2O is you need to find 1/4 of the energy output for this one instead of half!)

In part c you need to find the energy released by CH4 + 1.5 O2 -> CO + 2 H2O   (note! if your equation is presented as 2 CH4 + 3 O2 -> 4 H2O is you need to find 1/2 the energy output of that)

Hopefully this helps clear things up?

Please feel free to reply letting me know if you understand what the question wants and why :) 

ohhh ok, thank u so much