Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:12:28 am

Author Topic: oxidation reduction question?  (Read 6650 times)  Share 

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
oxidation reduction question?
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:27:20 pm »
Hi guys, from the attached information, I have to find the oxidising and reducing agent then write the half equations for anode and cathode. I am confused...

I believe that the oxidant is Cu2+ and reductant is Cr2O72- , is that right? I just need the clarification then I can write the half eqns by myself, thanks!

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
Re: oxidation reduction question?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:38:25 pm »
Hi guys, from the attached information, I have to find the oxidising and reducing agent then write the half equations for anode and cathode. I am confused...

I believe that the oxidant is Cu2+ and reductant is Cr2O72- , is that right? I just need the clarification then I can write the half eqns by myself, thanks!

wait or maybe I've swapped them... because the voltage can't be negative, the copper would be oxidized?

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 12:13:02 am »
+2

So, both E nort values are positive and are out of order, so you swap the equations around so that it is 1.33 V insert dichromate equation here, and then 0.34 V insert copper equation here.

So now that you have the order, you need to find what will spontaneously react, so that you can work out the oxidant and reductant.

In this case the reductant is Cu (s), as it is oxidises and the oxidant is the Dichromate ion (Cr2O72-) as it undergoes reduction itself.

So you were right the first time. For the record, voltage can be negative in certain cases where it has more negative polarity than the circuit. Other wise the total potential difference of some cells wouldn't make sense of voltage couldn't be negative. Hope this helps.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 10:47:15 am »
+1

IDK if I'm correct, but the way I think about it is that the equation with the higher E nort value undergoes reduction while the equation with the lower E nort value undergoes oxidation in a galvanic cell. You also have to keep in mind that the strongest oxidising agent (top left) reacts with the strongest reducing agent (bottom right).

So, in this case, the dichromate equation undergoes reduction (which also means the reaction will occur at the cathode). Cr2O72-will also be the oxidising agent. 

Then, this means the copper equation undergoes oxidation (which also means the reaction will occur at the anode). Cu will also be the reducing agent. 

And you can use the electrochemical series to determine the half equations for these reactions. Keep in mind that you have to flip the half equation for the copper reaction as it undergoes oxidation not reduction (which is what the elctrochemical series reaction are written as)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 11:27:37 am »
So, both E nort values are positive and are out of order, so you swap the equations around so that it is 1.33 V insert dichromate equation here, and then 0.34 V insert copper equation here.

So now that you have the order, you need to find what will spontaneously react, so that you can work out the oxidant and reductant.

In this case the reductant is Cu (s), as it is oxidises and the oxidant is the Dichromate ion (Cr2O72-) as it undergoes reduction itself.

So you were right the first time. For the record, voltage can be negative in certain cases where it has more negative polarity than the circuit. Other wise the total potential difference of some cells wouldn't make sense of voltage couldn't be negative. Hope this helps.

This helps! Thank you! :-)

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:28:05 am »
IDK if I'm correct, but the way I think about it is that the equation with the higher E nort value undergoes reduction while the equation with the lower E nort value undergoes oxidation in a galvanic cell. You also have to keep in mind that the strongest oxidising agent (top left) reacts with the strongest reducing agent (bottom right).

So, in this case, the dichromate equation undergoes reduction (which also means the reaction will occur at the cathode). Cr2O72-will also be the oxidising agent. 

Then, this means the copper equation undergoes oxidation (which also means the reaction will occur at the anode). Cu will also be the reducing agent. 

And you can use the electrochemical series to determine the half equations for these reactions. Keep in mind that you have to flip the half equation for the copper reaction as it undergoes oxidation not reduction (which is what the elctrochemical series reaction are written as)

Ahh okay this makes much more sense now, thank you!! :)