Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:19:23 pm

Author Topic: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!  (Read 170962 times)

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!
« Reply #495 on: November 19, 2016, 10:14:18 pm »
+1
I recommend it. It's a little different but I still enjoyed it. What other Orwell have you read?
Great! I might pick it up then and add it to the never-ending 'to be read' pile. ::)

I've read 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', 'Animal Farm', and 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying'. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #496 on: November 19, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »
Great! I might pick it up then and add it to the never-ending 'to be read' pile. ::)

I've read 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', 'Animal Farm', and 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying'. :)

Which was your favourite, out of interest? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #497 on: November 19, 2016, 10:39:26 pm »
+1
Which was your favourite, out of interest? :)
Definitely Nineteen Eighty-Four and Keep the Aspidistra Flying. The concept of the former was just captivating from beginning to end but I also love Orwell's commentary on the position that money plays within our lives in the latter.

Paulrus

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #498 on: November 19, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »
+2
Yeah my opinion of Down and Out is basically the same as Joseph41's haha. Kinda different from his other stuff but it's definitely really interesting. I'm enjoying the autobiographical aspect of it - I'm sure it's dramatised to an extent but it's a cool insight into his personal experiences. Plus it's a pretty gripping read in and of itself
2015-2017: Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) at University of Melbourne.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #499 on: March 08, 2017, 02:59:26 am »
+3
Deliberately picking up an old thread here because the previous pages have some great suggestions on them!

I'm reading a novel at the moment, it's called "Us" by David Nicholls. It was long listed for the Man Booker Prize in 2014.

Synopsis
Douglas and his wife, Connie, have a 17 year old son named Albie. Connie is artistic and a free spirit. Douglas is a scientist. They've been in love and married for 20 years nonetheless. Now, Connie doesn't want to be in the marriage anymore. Don't worry, it's not sad. It's quite a frank and real discussion, and very acute to emotions without being dramatic. They have a European holiday planned, so it goes ahead. Then the plot realllly begins.

Why I like it
It deals with romance, and the inevitability of marriage "downs' in a really frank, level-minded, never dramatic and idiotic, way. It's not soppy or mournful of love, it's active and present and really nice. It also looks at the relationship between parents, and then the relationship between parents and children. I think it's really interesting. Also, I think this might be the first time ever that I've read a novel with a first-person narration, male protagonist. I've loved it! It's been great. But last of all, the descriptions of European cities are quaint and intriguing, never romanticised without it being due.

Has anyone got any recommendations for me?
My hot topics at the moment are romance, gender, non-scientific dystopian, and travel. Also self-identity. Without input, I'm going to move through the Man Booker winners. But I'd love to know if anyone has read something recently that's marvellous or inspiring.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

vcestressed

« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2017, 08:02:26 am »

I'm reading a novel at the moment, it's called "Us" by David Nicholls. It was long listed for the Man Booker Prize in 2014.

I like that book too!! Have you read 'The Alchemist'? I mean, i'm pretty sure you have read it since its so popular and amazing, but i'm still going to ask.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #501 on: March 08, 2017, 08:06:12 am »
The book I'm currently reading is The Thousandth Floor (I'll edit in the author later), it's a dystopia cross gossip girl style book. Just putting it here if anyone's interested. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2017, 08:37:12 am »
+1
I like that book too!! Have you read 'The Alchemist'? I mean, i'm pretty sure you have read it since its so popular and amazing, but i'm still going to ask.

I haven't read it! I'm going to see if I can get my hands on it though, I feel like it's one I should be able to say I've read. I'm in Italy at the moment so English books are hard to come by, but I'm going to see if I can get it ordered. Thanks friend! Good suggestion :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #503 on: August 01, 2017, 01:51:28 pm »
+5

To update on my recent book reading (I've set myself a goal to read a little everyday and try get through a book every fortnight - but give or take for diversity in length)...

I did read The Alchemist! It's been hailed as one of the best books from the 20th Century - in the top ten even! But, I didn't LOVE it. Perhaps it was because it was translated into English, or perhaps the appeal is the dry writing style. But, I can only really read that dry writing style and fable format for so long, and not quite to the length of a novel as I could a short novella or a short story. So, as much as I still recommend it because it has good lessons on moral compass, journeys to your own interior, and experiences of working for success through peace, it wasn't one that had me jumping for joy. BUT, my copy of the book had wonderfully frayed pages and I loved that. I bought this book in an English book store in Paris - it was the first book I saw when I walked in so I decided it was fate :P

In that same book store, I sat for an entire day with a cat on my lap and read Bonjour Tristesse. It is thoroughly French and somewhat amusing in that same manner. I enjoyed it, but I didn't buy it because I didn't have the room in my bag. I walked passed a closing down book store the other day (talk about hello sadness/bonjour tristesse!) and I bought it for $3. So I now have a copy :)

I also read Clementine Ford's Fight Like a Girl. The author's voice was far more gentle and accessible than I first expected. She spoke of her own experiences rawly and I loved and appreciated it. It was more autobiographical than I expected but I loved that nonetheless, it really set things in a new light for me. I think Clementine Ford is a brilliant writer - I always have. Her ability to put forward solid and well thought out arguments time and time again has always pleased me.

I, today, finished Essays in love by Alain de Botton. I enjoyed the first part more than I did the end, but that's because falling in love is always the most exciting time. de Botton managed to respect the reader's intelligence but also teach the reader something new. There are few dull sentences - everything is somehow wonderfully creative but also matter of fact. It was easy to digest, but also very very thought provoking.

What's next? I've got a pile of books on the to-read pile, higher than I ever wanted. But next I will read "Eat Pray Love Made Me Do It" - a collection of stories, essays, and memoirs, written by people who changed the course of their life in search of an Eat Pray Love moment. As much as I like Elizabeth Gilbert and respect her work, I didn't love her famous memoir Eat Pray Love. But I'm thirsty for some wanderlust and dreaming at the moment, so hopefully this book can take me there!

But if you have any suggestions.. I'm thinking about how I actively searched for God during my time in Europe but failed to see God. No biggie, but I'm going to write down some of my experiences. If you have any suggestions for books you've read about spiritual quests, religious or not, please recommend them to me! I read the Alchemist after it was suggested here, so very keen to know if AN has anything more for me! :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #504 on: August 01, 2017, 02:30:15 pm »
+1
Has anybody read Burmese Days?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #505 on: August 01, 2017, 02:48:44 pm »
+3
Has anybody read Burmese Days?
Nah. That's one of Orwell's books, isn't it?

I regretfully must admit that I'm yet to get into his books...I feel like they're something I'll take more out of now that I'm a bit older, though. :) Definitely on my to-read list.

I've really struggled to find the time to read with uni this year. I think part of the reason is also that I struggle to find series that I love, so I don't read as much as I'd like to.

Relatively recently (aka during SWOTVAC :P) read the newest Skulduggery Pleasant book (Resurrection), which was cool.
Also read Lord of Shadows, the second instalment in Cassandra Clare's "The Dark Artifices" series - it was a bit meh, tbh - not what I was expecting, usually I have no problem reading her books quickly, but this one took me a couple of extra days to get through.

Also special mention to the Assassin's Creed books. Different to the usual sort of fiction you get, and I love the somewhat historical factor to them :)

I think I'm gonna switch to reading some autobiographies for the moment. Top of the list is Julia Gillard's thanks to a certain admin's insistence haha
I've also been meaning to finish the Wardstone Chronicles (some may recognise this as the Spook's Apprentice) but just haven't gotten around to it.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #506 on: August 01, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »
+3
Nah. That's one of Orwell's books, isn't it?

I regretfully must admit that I'm yet to get into his books...I feel like they're something I'll take more out of now that I'm a bit older, though. :) Definitely on my to-read list.

Yeah. Pretty much the only one I haven't read. It's currently next to my bed - just need some pushing to encourage me to take the plunge haha.

(Context: partially through like six books simultaneously.)

And GREAT call on Gillard's autobiography. 10/10 recommendation. ;)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #507 on: August 01, 2017, 07:26:56 pm »
+2
Quote from: Joseph41
(Context: partially through like six books simultaneously.)
I do this ALL the time.
Get bored of a book for a bit, so will go start reading another one, etc. etc.
Or else, I'll be in the middle of a book, but I'll have just bought a new book, and will want to read that one, because I suck at delayed gratification.  ::)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: August 01, 2017, 07:28:25 pm »
+2
I do this ALL the time.
Or else, I'll be in the middle of a book, but I'll have just bought a new book, and will want to read that one, because I suck at delayed gratification.  ::)

I actually think there's a word for this, but it slips my mind.

Somebody help me, please?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #509 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:53 pm »
+1
I do this ALL the time.
Same. I feel this all the time :P
(Actually in my dp- I actually haven't finished that book yet :p )
I currently have 7 books I've started (and haven't finished yet haha. :) )
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:38:10 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!