Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:44 pm

Author Topic: made a mistake when applying for job  (Read 1522 times)  Share 

spursy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
made a mistake when applying for job
« on: November 26, 2019, 11:22:04 pm »
+3
I don't know where to post this so imma just put it here
So I just found out what the "re" means when writing a cover letter and now i don't know what to do. I've applied to loads of jobs starting from last week with each one having an individual cover letter sent to them...however, for all my cover letters there's one thing in common and i think i messed up. I'm only seeking part time employment, mostly to be a sales member or similar but in my cover letter..... I put "Re; hiring manager" as I thought the "re" is what you put to address the person who is looking at your cover letter, not the thing where you put the position you want to work as. Long story short I accidentally submitted a cover letter to all the jobs ive applied for saying that I want to apply for the position of hiring manager and the hiring manager is the one that has to read my cover letter.....help

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: made a mistake when applying for job
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 06:54:38 am »
+2
So I just found out what the "re" means when writing a cover letter and now i don't know what to do. I've applied to loads of jobs starting from last week with each one having an individual cover letter sent to them...however, for all my cover letters there's one thing in common and i think i messed up. I'm only seeking part time employment, mostly to be a sales member or similar but in my cover letter..... I put "Re; hiring manager" as I thought the "re" is what you put to address the person who is looking at your cover letter, not the thing where you put the position you want to work as. Long story short I accidentally submitted a cover letter to all the jobs ive applied for saying that I want to apply for the position of hiring manager and the hiring manager is the one that has to read my cover letter.....help

Sorry, ngl, I had a bit of a chuckle at this  ;D

I've never applied for a job before, but is there a way you can contact the organisations/people and let them know of the error?
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 08:04:09 am »
Oh my goodness; that's hilarious! You poor thing! At least you know for next time? ;D

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 08:17:57 am »
+13
I'll be completely honest, it may hinder some of the applications. However it's not uncommon to use re: to also mean this is the person I'm speaking to — especially when speaking to large groups.

While that's not the context here, it means it's simple enough that they may still be able to understand.

I'll note that job hunting in general is very competitive, and can take a bit for everywhere, so please don't kick yourself in the legs over this mistake if you don't get any returns. You just need to keep going and remember that you just improved all future applications :)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 09:37:55 am »
+10
Would just like to also say that if your application is good they will also likely overlook some mistakes. I know my manager has definitely hired people who have had typos in their resumes etc because they present well.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 09:43:55 am »
+11
If that's your only mistake, you should be alright. As said by K888, employers will often overlook smaller mistakes if there is quality and consistency in your actual CV, and if you present well physically.

Job hunting is competitive, but I've noticed that many employers, including my own, are willing to overlook mistakes if it didn't seem rushed. They will also take into account your age when it comes to mistakes and a good employer will realise that with age comes increased knowledge and experience.

Best of luck in your applications! It will work out eventually. Take this as a learning experience and keep moving forward. :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 09:45:56 am »
+4
Would just like to also say that if your application is good they will also likely overlook some mistakes. I know my manager has definitely hired people who have had typos in their resumes etc because they present well.

Agree - honestly don't think it will make a huge difference either way.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

spursy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 12:07:26 pm »
+5
thanks guys for the positivity and yea its kind of funny thinking about it now. I can only learn from my mistakes lol