Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:23:44 am

Author Topic: Being made redundant at work?  (Read 3775 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Being made redundant at work?
« on: November 16, 2019, 01:03:59 pm »
+2
Hey guys! So currently facing a problem with my retail job at the moment. I think I'm (un)officially redundant because I haven't been rostered on since mid September. My work originally rostered me on every week til mid November but they deleted my shifts (without telling me) and replaced me with someone else even though I was available for those shifts. To be fair, uni's been hectic in this semester so I had to cut my hours down to 1 shift a week. But the thing is- they just completely cut out all my hours altogether.

I said I was originally available when the semester ends (which is now) but they've already done the roster until mid December. Can't work in the second half of December since I'll be overseas until mid January. But even then, it's not guaranteed they'll give me shifts when I come back because they've hired a bunch of full and part timers. I'm a bit annoyed they've cut me out completely, especially since I've been working at my job for nearly 2 years now and have been promoted to a supervisor position (there's barely any supervisors at my workplace since the others have left and have been replaced with newbies)

I wanted to know if anyone has experienced being made redundant (officially or unofficially) at their work? I'm about to email my boss but wanted to know what's the best way to email him without sounding desperate or passive aggressive. My hours are a lot more flexible next year as I have less days at uni. I'm a casual worker if that helps?

In the meantime, I have applied for other jobs. Although I do like this job since I've been with them for years and it is fairly close to my house.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Being made redundant at work?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 01:31:39 pm »
+3
As a casual worker, you are not guaranteed any hours of work. It wasn't clear from your post, but are the employees who 'replaced' you full-/part-time, or are they also employed on a casual basis?
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 01:44:06 pm »
+3
As a casual worker, you are not guaranteed any hours of work. It wasn't clear from your post, but are the employees who 'replaced' you full-/part-time, or are they also employed on a casual basis?

My work replaced me with another casual worker. The full/part timers that were hired recently are technically casual workers but working full/part hours.

What I'm confused with my work is, is that they complain that we don't have enough supervisors working each day. But they don't actually roster the supervisors on (casual workers) for some reason (despite us being available). My other supervisors haven't been rostered on in months.

I know I'm a casual worker so it's not guaranteed I won't get any hours. But I'll still try and email my work if they need any supervisors on board.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 02:08:58 pm »
+2
My work replaced me with another casual worker. The full/part timers that were hired recently are technically casual workers but working full/part hours.

What I'm confused with my work is, is that they complain that we don't have enough supervisors working each day. But they don't actually roster the supervisors on (casual workers) for some reason (despite us being available). My other supervisors haven't been rostered on in months.

I know I'm a casual worker so it's not guaranteed I won't get any hours. But I'll still try and email my work if they need any supervisors on board.

That's odd. If I were in your shoes, I would email from the perspective of notifying a change in available hours to be an on-site supervisor, rather than from the perspective of feeling being made redundant. It could make wording the email easier to avoid desperation/passive aggressiveness.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 06:52:25 pm »
+5
Can you go into your work and have a chat with your boss? Let them know you're keen for shifts and that your availability is good in the lead up to Christmas. It's hard to really know the full situation until you have a proper chat and figure out what's going on.

Personally, I prefer to go into work instead of emailing as I find it easier to talk face-to-face and understand what someone's saying, and it also lets you get across some positive body language and stuff like that. If it's feasible, I'd recommend doing that, but otherwise an email is fine.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:03:47 pm »
That's odd. If I were in your shoes, I would email from the perspective of notifying a change in available hours to be an on-site supervisor, rather than from the perspective of feeling being made redundant. It could make wording the email easier to avoid desperation/passive aggressiveness.

Awesome! I'll do that thank you!

Can you go into your work and have a chat with your boss? Let them know you're keen for shifts and that your availability is good in the lead up to Christmas. It's hard to really know the full situation until you have a proper chat and figure out what's going on.

Personally, I prefer to go into work instead of emailing as I find it easier to talk face-to-face and understand what someone's saying, and it also lets you get across some positive body language and stuff like that. If it's feasible, I'd recommend doing that, but otherwise an email is fine.

I've come into work multiple times and he's never around! He comes in once or twice a month so none of my co-workers know actual times he's in. He's more of a franchise owner rather than the manager hence it being so hard to talk to them face to face. I'll have to email him instead (hopefully it'll work)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 08:24:36 pm »
+1
Awesome! I'll do that thank you!

I've come into work multiple times and he's never around! He comes in once or twice a month so none of my co-workers know actual times he's in. He's more of a franchise owner rather than the manager hence it being so hard to talk to them face to face. I'll have to email him instead (hopefully it'll work)
Does he do the rosters? And have you spoken to the manager about your concerns? If so it'd be good for the manager to also give their input and say you've let them know you're keen for shifts.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 08:27:43 pm »
+7
If your workplace has a culture of unofficially punishing time off or shift reduction, I'd also encourage you to start applying for new jobs. I understand the rationale of "oh, I've been here, so it's easier for me to do things I want like take time off because they know I'm a good worker" and other things like that but, trust me, there will be a place in a good location that treats staff better.

If your workplace doesn't have that culture - great! I hope you're successful with your boss and he's made an unintentional error out of misunderstanding.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 12:46:46 pm »
+1
Does he do the rosters? And have you spoken to the manager about your concerns? If so it'd be good for the manager to also give their input and say you've let them know you're keen for shifts.

The franchise owner is in charge of the rosters (we don't have an actual manager since our one left a few months ago). I've expressed my concerns to the assistant managers and they told me to email our boss. Though, they did say they'll try to put in a word for me for some January shifts.

If your workplace has a culture of unofficially punishing time off or shift reduction, I'd also encourage you to start applying for new jobs. I understand the rationale of "oh, I've been here, so it's easier for me to do things I want like take time off because they know I'm a good worker" and other things like that but, trust me, there will be a place in a good location that treats staff better.

If your workplace doesn't have that culture - great! I hope you're successful with your boss and he's made an unintentional error out of misunderstanding.

To be fair my workplace was completely fine and is super understanding of staff who are still university students. It was just when my manager left a couple of months ago and everything changed! Currently applying for jobs right now but it's a bit hard since I am going overseas in mid December and employers aren't too happy with that. I'll still have a try with my boss though.