Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:58 am

Author Topic: My Gap Year Journal  (Read 13331 times)

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
Re: My Gap Year Journal
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 05:46:56 pm »
+2
Hey!

I am so excited to see the perspective of someone who's taking a gap year!! And I am really happy you got the job, I can think of few better places to work than a bookstore as a fellow book-obsessor-before VCE consumed my entire existence.

Remember, just before stepping into the store, just take a few moments to breathe, centre yourself and remind yourself of how capable you are to take this on! It's always scary at first, stepping out into the unknown is difficult but always worth it, because there is always valuable insight to be gained regardless of whether the experience was positive or negative. I think you'll have so many opportunities to learn and just enjoy this year!

Enjoy your sleepover and I'll be excited to see how your week went!

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »
+2
Enjoy your sleepover and I'll be excited to see how your week went!

Thank you for your kind words of support! I will follow the advice because I'm a natural worry wart. Last year I found myself becoming more grounded if I kept a journal so I wanted to do something similar (no matter how boring my year may be).

I hope the sleep over will be fun, I think I'll miss my friends a lot.

On another note: I picked up my phone after about 5 hours and found someone had added me to a messenger group chat for all the people from my school going to uni at Newcastle. I was pretty shocked. I think half of the chat is going to uni this year and the other half next year. Maybe I'll make some more friends that I never really got to talk to in school.

Anyway, BAI
2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 12:02:19 pm »
+1
Thank you for your kind words of support!

“When I look back on my personal story through my journals, it struck me my words had an unmatched power to heal me. To change me.” 
~Sandra Marinella

Write about anything and everything you want! It's funny, once school ends, that's it, you likely won't ever see the people you saw every single day for the past few years ever again, and sometimes, though you were in a class with someone for years, you may not really know each other at all. Hopefully you and your best friend can stay in touch, but also use this as an opportunity to find new people and form new relationships! The more you step out of your comfort zone, the more you'll be rewarded with people you can really connect with. Try lots of new things, explore and just have fun this year!! Excited to be a part of the ride!

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:21 pm »
+6
Heeeyyaa

So I had my first day of work today. It was pretty good except I'm pretty tired and my legs hurt from standing up all day. I haven't been this tired since the time I stayed up till 12 finishing an Engineering assessment.

Anyway. I feel like eating icecream. I'm going to go eat some ice cream.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 08:52:50 pm »
+3
Heeeyyaa

So I had my first day of work today. It was pretty good except I'm pretty tired and my legs hurt from standing up all day. I haven't been this tired since the time I stayed up till 12 finishing an Engineering assessment.

Hey Caitlyn, glad to hear it went well! Can definitely empathise with sore legs - I had a long day at work too haha.  ;D

Enjoy the icecream! You deserve it!  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 08:54:08 pm »
+2
Heeeyyaa

I know the feeling of standing up all day- that's me when I have back-to-back labs. I'm really glad work was good! ^-^

Treat yo'self to that icecream, you deserve it!!! :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 12:52:31 pm »
+4
HEY EVERYONE!

LONG TIME NO SEE! Anyway, I have much news. Is that a real sentence? I have no idea. Right let's continue.

So I've been working for what 3 ish weeks? It's going well. I've met the three of the trainee's from the past 3 years and it's been pretty great. I must admit it is quite a bit of hard work. My boss doesn't like it when we just stand around doing nothing so she always makes me clean when there's nothing else to do. The other trainee's said that I only have to do it once but the store is so big! I also worked my first saturday on the weekend which was fine. I actually quite enjoyed it, there were more customers and my boss let me sit around (there wasn't much to do and ppl were in and out all day) because there was only the two of us there that day.

Anyway, I get paid every friday which is pretty good. I love Fridays because my boss buys us all afternoon drinks since there's a coffee shop down the street. I ask for a strawberry milkshake every time. It's great. I really like talking to my co-workers, they might be older than me but they're really nice to talk to.

I've also started doing Tafe and I have to do this boring compulsory WHS assessment. I even had to email my assessor to ask her questions about it because I didn't understand how I should set it out. Tafe assessments are so different from high school assessments. I don't know why I didn't understand what I was supposed to be doing when I looked at it. Maybe I just didn't read it properly. So I finished the first part of it but don't understand the second so I had to email my assessor again. Ugh. I feel so stuuppidddd. I feel like high school assessments are way more direct but I guess it's something I'll have to put up with.

Also! It's my 18th birthday this Friday and I am so excited! Finally I am turning 18. It's only taken a whole fricken year of being younger than all my friends which is a little frustrating.

I'm missing my friends a lot too. I try to talk to them every day (almost) but I feel like I'm being annoying. Even when its a short conversation I'm happier. I'm going up to visit them at Maquarie in March so we can kinda celebrate my birthday together. They said they're actually really excited for me to visit. I'm excited too. It'll be my first time driving through the mountains alone which might be slightly scary but i've done it lots with my mum so it should be ok.

I feel like this month is going really quickly. I feel like this YEAR is going quickly. Honestly, I think thats good because I can't tell you how excited I am to go to uni next year. Even now that I'm working and earning money, I'm like 'Just wait till next year! It'll be a year full of firsts!'. The other trainee's said that the start of the year will go quickly as will the end but the middle will go slow as because you're just doing the same thing over and over again. One of them also said I should go on a trip but I need all the money I can get for next year.

OH! I'm also getting used to standing up which is great. Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyy I still use every opportunity to sit in the singular chair behind the front counter. I don't know how they do it >_<

They also have a microwave so I can have left overs from dinner. I swear my boss is so jugdey about what I bring in for lunch. Geezzz.

Anyway. I'm going to have some lunch. Today's my Tafe day so I'm at home trying to attempt to do tafe. Wish me luck.

Isla77

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 06:52:05 am »
+2
Hi Caitlyn!
Just wanted to wish all the best for your gap year, it already seems really great! So happy for you that you are enjoying your job at the bookstore, I'm sure the experience will be invaluable for you. I took a gap year too last year and starting uni soon :)

What TAFE course are you doing? I did my cert 3 in aged care, getting extra qualification through TAFE is really nice.

Happy birthday in advance for Friday :)

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 09:31:04 pm »
+2
Hi Caitlyn!
Just wanted to wish all the best for your gap year, it already seems really great! So happy for you that you are enjoying your job at the bookstore, I'm sure the experience will be invaluable for you. I took a gap year too last year and starting uni soon :)

What TAFE course are you doing? I did my cert 3 in aged care, getting extra qualification through TAFE is really nice.

Happy birthday in advance for Friday :)

Thank you!

I'm doing a Cert 3 in business. I'm hoping it will help ease me into uni next year. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

Good luck for uni!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 09:34:45 am »
+1
Thank you!

I'm doing a Cert 3 in business. I'm hoping it will help ease me into uni next year. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

Good luck for uni!

What's TAFE like for you on, say, a weekly basis? Would love to know more about what it's like.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 12:32:23 pm »
+5
What's TAFE like for you on, say, a weekly basis? Would love to know more about what it's like.

Hi! So I do Tafe once a week. On mondays because that's my day off. The assessments aren't too much work so it doesn't take long. It's probably quite different from uni and high school but maybe it'll give me a leg up for next year.

Oh and by the way! It's mah birthday! I turned 18 :D Finally legal!

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 11:40:39 am »
+3
Hey everyone!

I've been working a lot. Also been doing Tafe. So thats fun. Not. Anyway,

I managed to drive to Sydney to visit my friends last Saturday after work. 3 hours of driving on my own and over the mountains for the first time by myself. I must say driving in Sydney is stressful but overall I enjoyed the long distance driving. It was kinda relaxing.

It was great seeing my friends, we watched Riverdale, Ted and Marlon together on the Saturday night. It was pretty great. We slept in my friends living room and it was that night that I realised how much I really missed my friends. The next day we drove to MQ and dropped off my car then hopped on a bus to head to the city. We wandered around for a while, ate lunch and got on ferry. We walked through Luna Park since I'd never even been there before. That night we played laser tag and an escape room and I must say it was pretty fun. I'm going to head down to Sydney again for my friends 18th next month.

Anyway, now I'm back at home on my day off attempting to be productive but ya know. Not much is happening. I've also been trying to get back into doing the things I love like art, writing, reading etc. but it's been really hard. I blame the HSC since it stopped me from doing those things but I'll keep trying to get back into them.

Sorry for the boring post but I wanna keep this updated. I'm never gonna live this year again so why don't I just write it?

I have actually gotta go do some tafe now. Baiii

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 11:52:58 am »
+5
Hey everyone!

Now we're into April. Happy April fools day! I can't believe it's already the fourth month wow. It's been around 6 months since I completed the HSC and time seems to be running so quickly. Where is it going?

Anyway, I've asked for two days off to go to Sydney for my youngest friends 18th birthday and I'm actually so excited to see them again. After that weekend we are all heading back home as it's their mid semester holiday thingy magig. So we're hoping to gather up the whole group again to see everyone during Easter.

Sad thing though. I have to work the Saturday before Easter Sunday but luckily I have Friday off. Yay.

Anyway, Tafe is annoying as always but I keep thinking of all the benefits I'm going to have at the end of it.

I'm gonna go now because I'm trying not to waste my days off but it's not really going well. I'm thinking I need to start doing Tafe during the week nights because I get so bored (Not studying on weeknights is so weird because now I have no idea what to do with my life).

Baii everyone! I hope everyone is going well!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 12:05:18 pm »
+1
Hope you're doing well, too!

Btw, happy birthday for the other month! Haha. Totally missed it at the time. 🤦

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 01:45:53 pm »
+5
Hello everyone!

It's been quite a long time since I have posted on this. Don't blame me, I've been working a lot and seeing my friends. I'll give you a quick run down on what I've been doing this month and have done:

- Working (Duh)
- Been doing some art
- Went to Sydney to see my friends
- Came home with my best friend (It was their holidays)
- Spent Easter Monday with friends
- Went to see Avengers: Endgame with friends

Then pretty much that's all. My friends have all left to go back to uni to start again next week. To be honest I was a little sad to see them go but I'll live. It's almost five months into the year and I honestly don't know where it's gone. Seriously, what have I been doing for five months? Working. That's pretty much it.

I think the excitement of going to uni is building up, I think it is with most people in my town taking a gap year even seeing my friends coming back from uni it's exciting to know what they are doing.

All I can think of the benefits to me at the end of the year that many other 19 year olds (I turn 19 next feb, the same age many people will be entering uni after school) won't have. Cert 3, Money, experience for full time work, retail experience.

I can't help but chanting to myself every morning saying 'You can do it Caitlyn! You can do it!'

Anyway, I better go. Baiii.