Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:08:40 pm

Author Topic: Should i do a humanities subject??  (Read 4137 times)  Share 

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
Should i do a humanities subject??
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:29:11 am »
Hello peeps,
Welcome to my first post that I'm not even sure I did correctly.

Somehow I've ended up in heaps of sciency/ maths content. Not to say that I don't enjoy it, I just want to make sure I have a broad perspective on things. I'm planning to pick up a seventh subject next year if I'm super sucky at my 3/4s this year, but cant decide between: Psych 3/4, Legal 3/4 or Algorithmics 3/4 (my teachers are really pushing that one).

Currently I'm y11 doing:
- EngLang 1/2, Methods 1/2, Chem 1/2, Spesh 1/2, Bio 3/4 and EI3/4

I haven't done the 1/2s for any of my options, so in that case algo seems the best option to be on the same page as everyone else, but I really don't know if it's a good idea. Obviously I don't want to compromise my ATAR, so any opinions are welcome!
Thanks heaps!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:31:24 am by peerbagh »
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
Re: Should i do a humanities subject??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:54:43 am »
+10
hi peerbagh! ;D

i'm sure you have heard this so many times already, but which out of those three do you enjoy the most? if you pick algo, make sure it's something you can see yourself studying for and enjoying in yr 12, and not just because your teachers are pushing for it.

maybe think about what your strengths are as well: for example, are you good with content subjects (legal/psych) or more the mathsy side of things (algo)

i would say being on the same page as everyone else (i assume you mean having not done the 1/2), isn't that big of a factor because for both legal and psych you can go straight into the 3/4 without being disadvantaged as well.

let me know if you have any other questions! and i hope this helped  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:01:53 pm by MoonChild1234 »

dedformed

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:38:42 pm »
hi peerbagh! ;D

i'm sure you have heard this so many times already, but which out of those three do you enjoy the most? if you pick algo, make sure it's something you can see yourself studying for and enjoying in yr 12, and not just because your teachers are pushing for it.

maybe think about what your strengths are as well: for example, are you good with content subjects (legal/psych) or more the mathsy side of things (algo)

i would say being on the same page as everyone else (i assume you mean having not done the 1/2), isn't that big of a factor because for both legal and psych you can go straight into the 3/4 without being disadvantaged as well.

let me know if you have any other questions! and i hope this helped  :D

Thank you for your reply, Moonchild1234! (Happy that my post actually worked, wow, I feel accomplished)
Thing is, I'm willing to try out anything new! It's true that my teachers are pushing algo, but it seems interesting to me too! I find Bio quite enjoyable, although people debate whether it's really a content heavy subject. I don't really mind any of the three, that's why I'm so ambivalent! Lowkey want to do all three but I don't have enough room lol.
Lot's of exclamation marks in there yes I am an excited bean :)

VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 06:53:18 pm »
+5
Hi there, I do Psych and Legal 3/4 so I thought I might add my input in.
I find that Psych overlaps a lot with Bio in some topics so that could be something you can consider and loads of people pick up Psych 3/4 without doing 1/2. It's mainly research methods that you might want to brush over before next year if you end up choosing this. Btw, I only did unit 2 Psych and I don't find that I'm necessarily disadvantaged. Although the teacher might make references to topics that the rest of the classes has learnt in unit 1, it's usually not very significant and can easily be revised if you ask your teacher for guidance.

With Legal, I hear of a handful of students who have done 3/4 without 1/2 and found it ok but personally, I'd advice against it. This is simply because there is SO much overlap between units 3/4 and 1/2, meaning that people who have done 1/2 are likely to have a slight advantage over those who haven't as they've had a longer time to consolidate this information. In saying that, all the relevant topics from units 1/2 are covered again in 3/4 so don't fret if you really want to do Legal. However, I also want to mention that the skills required for Legal are VERY different from those for Science subjects (coming from someone who also does Bio and Chem). The way you structure your answers and the way of thinking in Legal is very specific and distinct to the subject so being able to practice these skills during year 11 where not much was at stake was very beneficial. I have to say though, Legal is such an awesome subject and is so relevant to our modern world so if you have a passion for it/ really interested in it and are willing to put the work in, go for it.

Hope I wasn't too contradicting haha, I just want to give you both sides of it. Best of luck!   

dedformed

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »
+1
Hi there, I do Psych and Legal 3/4 so I thought I might add my input in.
I find that Psych overlaps a lot with Bio in some topics so that could be something you can consider and loads of people pick up Psych 3/4 without doing 1/2. It's mainly research methods that you might want to brush over before next year if you end up choosing this. Btw, I only did unit 2 Psych and I don't find that I'm necessarily disadvantaged. Although the teacher might make references to topics that the rest of the classes has learnt in unit 1, it's usually not very significant and can easily be revised if you ask your teacher for guidance.

With Legal, I hear of a handful of students who have done 3/4 without 1/2 and found it ok but personally, I'd advice against it. This is simply because there is SO much overlap between units 3/4 and 1/2, meaning that people who have done 1/2 are likely to have a slight advantage over those who haven't as they've had a longer time to consolidate this information. In saying that, all the relevant topics from units 1/2 are covered again in 3/4 so don't fret if you really want to do Legal. However, I also want to mention that the skills required for Legal are VERY different from those for Science subjects (coming from someone who also does Bio and Chem). The way you structure your answers and the way of thinking in Legal is very specific and distinct to the subject so being able to practice these skills during year 11 where not much was at stake was very beneficial. I have to say though, Legal is such an awesome subject and is so relevant to our modern world so if you have a passion for it/ really interested in it and are willing to put the work in, go for it.

Hope I wasn't too contradicting haha, I just want to give you both sides of it. Best of luck!
Thanks, that was super insightful, will deft take your advice on board when finalising my subjects.
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
+3
Thank you for your reply, Moonchild1234! (Happy that my post actually worked, wow, I feel accomplished)
Thing is, I'm willing to try out anything new! It's true that my teachers are pushing algo, but it seems interesting to me too! I find Bio quite enjoyable, although people debate whether it's really a content heavy subject. I don't really mind any of the three, that's why I'm so ambivalent! Lowkey want to do all three but I don't have enough room lol.
Lot's of exclamation marks in there yes I am an excited bean :)

wow that's great! in that case its just deciding which you like the best then haha

what i did to figure this out was go through the study design, went through the relevant boards on atarnotes and also asked a lot of people who did the subjects to get a sense of what it would be like

personally, just from reading this (obviously just my opinion) it sounds like you would enjoy algorithmics bc you seem like a very stem oriented person, but make sure you take into consideration your strengths as well :)

i hope this helped!