Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 05:03:21 pm

Author Topic: Wanting to stay productive?  (Read 9889 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Wanting to stay productive?
« on: February 05, 2018, 04:57:53 pm »
+30
At the start of year 12 I was shown a video and it made me think “Yeah! I’m going to work really hard! I’m going to smash my goals!” And then that feeling faded. I got tired. And stressed. And it was so much easier to mindlessly scroll through social media than it was to even face the practice essay with minimal guidance and vague criteria that I knew I should write anyway. I didn’t write that essay. Not then. Instead, I went online. Onto social media. After 15 minutes a plug in I had installed booted me off it, so in the next 5 minutes I created online flashcards to help me memorise my quotes. Much less confronting, much easier to motivate myself to do. But then I was on a roll, I had tasted productivity and I typed a paragraph of an essay. The next day I faced the same struggle, the same wishing for more motivation as I avoided the task. I practiced with the flashcards until I was getting them right and in the glow of that achievement I wrote another paragraph. Ditto for the next day. But things change, and after repetition I found that I was accustomed to studying at that time in that environment and I could come home, sit down, and write a full essay.
The trick is to build yourself routines and habits that help you because they will become your default tendency. It will be hard at the start, but if you keep yourself healthy you will find it increasingly easier to be productive. Inspiration and motivation is fleeting so when it is there use it to set the foundations. You will not be inspired all year. When you feel broken and crushed and hollow take a break. When you feel unproductive do your best to do something small. A little good will make you feel much better, and sometimes it will turn into something bigger.
You may have noticed the word “healthy” in there. Ideally you’re exercising, eating right, and sleeping 9 hours each day. This is highly unlikely to actually be how you live but try to get closer to it. Exercise is good for motivation and reducing stress to a healthy level so I highly encourage it. Sleep helps you learn, recall information, be emotionally and physically healthier, have self-discipline and it’s important in memory formation.

In regards to sleep:
 - Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night (9 is better if you can)
 - Install a blue light filter on your devices to help you naturally feel sleepy when you should
 - Avoid caffeine in the afternoon, even if it doesn’t affect your ability to go to sleep it may reduce sleep quality
 - Wake up at the same time every day (yes, even on weekends when you want to catch up on sleep)
 - Go to sleep at the same time as many days as possible
 - Exercise during the day
 - Only use your bed for what it is meant for. You want your bed to be subconsciously associated with sleep, not studying, shows or eating
-  Avoid having lights in your room at night. May interfere with sleep quality even if it doesn’t impact quantity
 - Don’t pay attention to the clock if you are trying to sleep. It’ll only stress you out more and expose you to light
 - Embrace the sunshine early in the morning. This will help you feel awake and attune your body clock.

Other productivity tips:
 - Find out what works better for you – working until a time is finished or working until a task is done
 - Either way, try using to do lists
 - Try various organisation methods such as websites, apps, journaling, calender, student planner
 - practice going straight into productivity after school
 - put your phone on do not disturb while study, or turn notifications for social media off
 - write down your primary reason (To unlock the most options? A dream course? Habit building? To push yourself? )
 - celebrate the journey rather than the destination (in exam period I baked mini banana bread muffins and would eat one after each practise exam, some people put lollies on textbook paragraphs to eat when they reach there)
 - the earlier you start the easier it will be

Year 12 is hard, but if you have the will power and determination you can achieve your goals. Push onwards, and see just how much you learn about yourself and how far you can go.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:48:48 am by miniturtle »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Wanting to stay productive?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:13:50 pm »
+4
- put your phone on do not disturb while study, or turn notifications for social media off

Huge. I'm a walking contradiction, but having your phone elsewhere (i.e., not next to your bed) when you sleep is a big thing.

Nice post, miniturtle.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:26:26 pm »
+1
Thank you for this excellent advice miniturtle!
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:30:50 pm »
+2
I could have done with this advice when I did year 12, miniturtle! Amazing thread :D

I've found that trying to minimise time spent in my bedroom for stuff other than sleeping is helpful - now I associate being in my bedroom with sleeping, rather than studying or messing around on my laptop, and I've been finding it much easier to get to sleep as a result!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:34:17 pm »
+4
This thread is still useful and relevant to me @ uni  ;D

I used to turn the wifi off on my phone during year 12 during prac exams/essays but never got into the habit during uni. :'(

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 05:37:08 pm »
+3
Also agree on the caffeine. Water is seriously way better - coming from somebody who until recently couldn't effectively function without caffeine.

Cheaper, too.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:09 pm »
+3
Thank you for the support everyone :)

In particular I think it's great that people are sharing their experiences with making changes - hopefully it helps more people get motivated and implement their own

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:55 pm »
Thank you for the support everyone :)

In particular I think it's great that people are sharing their experiences with making changes - hopefully it helps more people get motivated and implement their own

How long do they say it takes to make a change routine? Like, two weeks or something? Seems a very savvy investment of time to me at this time of year.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:52:02 pm »
How long do they say it takes to make a change routine? Like, two weeks or something? Seems a very savvy investment of time to me at this time of year.

three weeks/21 days

Certainly! and the time spent being productive also doubles as time spent being productive - two birds with one stone