Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:01:08 am

Author Topic: Does your school have a canteen or anything?  (Read 1298 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Does your school have a canteen or anything?
« on: May 16, 2019, 04:43:38 pm »
+3
And if so, what are the options?

I just received my school's newsletter (yes, I still subscribe, and yes, I still read them - fight me). It included the current canteen offerings, and they've certainly changed a lot since I was there.

When I was there, you could basically get pies and sausage rolls, a couple of different types of sandwich/roll, lolly killer pythons, slices, drinks, hot dogs and chicken nugget rolls (exactly as they sound haha). That's about all I remember.

Now there are gourmet wraps, sushi and coffee. 😱 It's probably for the best that sushi and coffee weren't available to me when I was there hahaha.

How about youen? What's your set-up?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Does your school have a canteen or anything?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 06:12:09 pm »
+3
Not school, but at my uni campus, there's only a cafeteria that serves sandwiches & wraps, a curry of the day, fried rice and a daily special. (As well as coffee, tea, and cold drinks)

The new owners wanted feedback recently- we were sooking about the lack of snack items such as hot chips and dimsims. We got them back in, but $4.50 for a very small serving of chips is not worth it haha.
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 06:39:33 pm »
+4
Our canteen has all that sushi and coffee shenanigans too. Got burgers, muffins, wraps, foe car shas, as well as the standard pies, hash browns and drinks....
It's a little bit pricey though, probably because the canteen is run by a private company and not the school itself.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 06:44:05 pm »
+4
My primary school had nothing because it was too small, but high school had canteens. Initially they were reasonably healthy, but then they started to introduce more stuff. Nowadays they have dim sims, potato cakes, pies and the whole shebang, which is exceptionally disappointing imo
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:12:20 pm »
+2
My high school did have the canteen but the selection of food was appalling. It was always the same cup noodles, chicken nuggets, sausage rolls and meat pies everyday. Sure they were easy to eat but they weren’t really healthy choices. As soon as we were allowed to leave campus at lunch during Year 12, I stopped buying my food at my canteen.

We did have a thing at my school (during my senior years) where the Year 10 Food technology students would cater food every two weeks as part of practical assignments and they would sell it to the school. Each fortnight varied- from haloumi burgers to caesar salads to homemade pizza. Not sure if this programme is still going at my school.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 09:38:58 pm »
+2
My school has a caravan near the side of a building that acts as a canteen. It's pretty weird but cool at the same time  ;D.

Back in the day, I remember the canteen having basic stuff such as meat pies, sausage rolls, chicken sandwich (literally a delicious patty with two white bread slices stuck together)  etc. Haven't gone for a really long time, but when I went earlier this year, they had all sorts of foods, from satay noodles (absolute trash, needless to say, but hey they got variety), chicken nuggets and so much more. They keep having these food days as well ie. sushi day (which was hella expensive) and then some. Can't say I love it (and definitely more expensive, at least in my school), but it's good they got some kind of variety going.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:02:01 pm »
+2
Ours has a canteen run by a catering company. Freshly baked goodies every day, specials that change daily too. I can even order lunch without having to engage with anybody (online)... it's fantastic.

First school I worked at didnt even have a canteen
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:10:36 pm »
+2
In high school our first canteen was really unhealthy-chips, slices, huge muffins, etc.

Then when they left the canteen was mostly taken over by parents. We had toast, muffins, banana bread for breakfast. We had apple slinky, pizza slices and sushi. We also had different salads, sandwiches, wraps, and burgers to order. We had different hot food (garlic bread, chicken tenders, sausage rolls, pies). We also had coffee, hot chocolate, slushies and ice creams.  Most of the prices were pretty reasonable as well.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]