Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:13:10 am

Author Topic: strengths and weaknesses VS effectiveness  (Read 2227 times)  Share 

mangmang712

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
strengths and weaknesses VS effectiveness
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:04:22 pm »
I hope this isn't too confusing :D
In the Justice and Outcomes textbook, there is a section in chpt 1 about the effectiveness of the parliamentary system. Then in chpt 2 it talks of the effectiveness of parliament. Is it fair to say that the "effectiveness" which is outlined in these chapters are the strengths and weaknesses of parliament which are outlined in chpt 3? They all seem very similar and it is difficult to distinguish between them ...
Can i just rely on the strengths and weaknesses when writing a response?

Thanks in advance!

hard

Re: strengths and weaknesses VS effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:11:55 pm »
Do the chapters talk about the "effectiveness" of parliament as a law maker or the effectiveness of the parliamentary system, i.e. the features of parliament and their effectiveness. These are two different things. However you should look at your legal study design and go by that! whatever it says there, do it. Don't learn irrelevant things.

btw when writing a response, you can't rely on one thing only unless the q specifies so. You should know what they are asking and what to write.

mangmang712

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:25:28 pm »
Ohh ok... one asks for the effectiveness of the parliamentary system (which is not specifically in the study design) and the other refers to the effectiveness of parliament as a law-making body (which is in the study design).

So my new question is: are the following questions asking the same thing (is one question simply paraphrased)?
"To what extent do you think that law-making through parliament is an effective method of law-making" and "Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of law-making through parliament"

mypurpleundercracka

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:38:07 pm »
Im using the the "Justice and Outcomes" textbook, chapter 1 and 2 in my one are both relating to the effectiveness of parliament as opposed to chapter 3 which relates to the law-making process and its strengths and weaknesses

mangmang712

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:48:25 pm »
Thanks for that .. i just thought that the slightly different subtitles (between chpt 1 and chpt 2) served a purpose

hard

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »
Ohh ok... one asks for the effectiveness of the parliamentary system (which is not specifically in the study design) and the other refers to the effectiveness of parliament as a law-making body (which is in the study design).

So my new question is: are the following questions asking the same thing (is one question simply paraphrased)?
"To what extent do you think that law-making through parliament is an effective method of law-making" and "Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of law-making through parliament"
no they mean the same thing.

mangmang712

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 03:31:14 pm »
thank you !!  :)
sorry for asking such a confusing question! i just needed clarification

hard

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »
no worries.
i might add though, the first question you asked requires you to add an opinion at the end of your answer, once you've evaluated the strengths/weaknesses of parliament cause it asks "to what extent do you think..."