Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:55 am

Author Topic: Trying to get a 90+ Atar  (Read 21598 times)

Seamus Wong

Re: Trying to get a 90+ Atar
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 10:16:40 pm »
+2
What a terrible day.

I spent 4 hours reading and making posters for Accounting.
I asked my teacher to send me answers so I could correct my work.
She said "I don't give students answers, they come to me and give me their answers for me to correct...".
That pissed me right off.
Anyway, after another 2 emails of trying to convince her, she just told me to come and see her tomorrow with my book to so she can correct them for me. I think that's absolutely ridiculous, since it means that I can't compare my answers with the correct response in my own time and take in everything at my own pace.
That kinda ruined my day, because I was really frustrated and stressed because the SAC is so soon and my teacher won't cooperate with me.
I'll have to do the rest of the Accounting questions tomorrow and see the teacher to give me the feedback.
I studied for only one hour for algorithmics. I need to go through some assignments and look at the feedback and use it to help me understand some areas that I am fuzzy on. I'll do this tomorrow morning after I see the Accounting teacher.
I am not happy at all with my day, and I kinda blame it on my accounting teacher for wasting my time with the emails, lowering my level of confidence and increasing my stress levels because now I have to wait even longer to see if I correctly answered the questions. This decrease in morale translated into decreased productivity and the waste of practically half of my day.

My productivity before asking my teacher for the answers would have definitely been a 9/10. After that, it dropped to 2/10. Really bad start to the term. I'm going to have to use some sales strategies tomorrow to strike a deal with the teacher to make her give me the answer sheets.
If she doesn't, it isn't a huge deal and I'll try not to get too angry.
I just have to focus on what's important, which is getting a solid understanding of all of my subjects and ensuring I apply the theory immediately to questions so that I can be prepared for any questions that come my way in the sacs and exams.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:19:18 pm by Seamus Wong »

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 10:46:49 pm »
+1
Hey man, so sorry to hear about what happened with you and your accounting teacher. Hopefully she will be more cooperative tomorrow.

I’m doing the HSC this year, and let me just say your journal actually gave me a tiny spark of hope. I see how you have transitioned from a productivity rating of 2 to regularly getting 7’s. Just goes to show how you just need to keep at it everyday. For myself, I have been terrible in keeping consistent, often leading me to all-nighters working at my assessments. After reading this, I think I will update in my journal what I did and give myself a productivity score as well. And I also like the way you focus on knowledge and understanding. I guess that is what separates a 90’s student from an 80’s one.
 Overall, you are a very diligent person and I hope everything goes smooth for the rest of the year ;D ;D ;D
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Seamus Wong

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 10:57:41 pm »
+3
Hey man, so sorry to hear about what happened with you and your accounting teacher. Hopefully she will be more cooperative tomorrow.

I’m doing the HSC this year, and let me just say your journal actually gave me a tiny spark of hope. I see how you have transitioned from a productivity rating of 2 to regularly getting 7’s. Just goes to show how you just need to keep at it everyday. For myself, I have been terrible in keeping consistent, often leading me to all-nighters working at my assessments. After reading this, I think I will update in my journal what I did and give myself a productivity score as well. And I also like the way you focus on knowledge and understanding. I guess that is what separates a 90’s student from an 80’s one.
 Overall, you are a very diligent person and I hope everything goes smooth for the rest of the year ;D ;D ;D

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Yeah getting off to a bad start and then getting behind on work lowers your morale which lowers your productivity which lowers you morale and this becomes a self reinforcing cycle. You just have to somehow find a way to get out of the cycle.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 04:57:51 pm »
+1
Talked too much to friends - wasted 40 minutes in my free block in the morning. I feel bad.
I will never do it again. I need to ensure that I immediately identify when I'm surrounded by people who will distract me, and then move.
I did get through a bit of work. The problem was that the time available wasn't sufficient enough to really get into a state of flow with the work, and now I feel like I haven't really accomplished much, even though I did study efficiently.
Anyway, I will NOT let that ruin my night tonight.
My productivity at school today is slightly lower than yesterday - 7.6/10 - which is due to me wasting time talking with others.

SCHEDULE TONIGHT

- Eat diner
- Begin doing chapter review questions for Accounting until 7:30
- Revise algorithmics - This next sac (Tuesday) will be quite challenging, I need to study very effectively
- Workout Back, Arms and Chest
- Eat
- Sleep

I'll be back to rate my productivity at around 11:00pm.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »
+2
Did exactly what I had planned.
I'm feeling more confident with Accounting. Did not complete everything. Will complete all tomorrow before 12:00 noon.
Algorithmics stumped me with one little problem - took me an hour to solve it (sort of kinda understand it, not completely, but looking at the problem tomorrow will give me a fresh perspective and hopefully I'll understand it. If I don't, I'll have to ask my tutor). Spend another hour doing more revision, which has built my confidence in my understanding. I must do the same revision tomorrow.

I will work out now.

I wish I had more time to get the stuff done.
Productivity is a 8.7/10. I feel like it should be more but I just don't feel that accomplished because I didn't complete as much as I had wanted to - not really my fault - I must try to work on improving my technical efficiency so time constraints do not effect me as much - This is a trait that all high achievers have: They can get shit done quickly and with a high degree of accuracy/quality.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2019, 10:15:07 pm »
Same thing happened this morning that happened a couple of days ago that I promised myself wouldn't happen again. I went on my phone before bed to read something for English Language - Bad decision. This stupid decision resulted in me being unable to fully open my eyes and get up in the morning - idk why, but my eyes just wanna stay shut and away from any sort of light, so I just naturally lay in bed and fall back asleep.
I cannot let myself down again.

On another note though, I did manage to get a very solid amount of accounting work done in preparation for the SAC. I've answered every 'check your understanding' question for each chapter and also rewrote one chapter's questions onto a word document so I could send it to my teacher and receive feedback.
This took almost 5 hours - Questions + Reading + Poster + Retyping some questions.
I have to be honest with myself and recognise that I didn't maintain a solid level of focus throughout the time that I was doing the work, often getting out of my study room and aimlessly walking around the house. This lead to a 6 hour task (including breaks) becoming something more like an 8 hour task.
The cause of this was me losing all level of discipline and motivation after waking up late.

I have done some more study for algorithmics - 4 hours. Again, this could've been shorter if I had made better decisions throughout the day.

I'll have to exercise now only for a short period of time - 30 mins  - and then go to bed, without going on my phone, get a solid rest and be way more productive tomorrow.

Productivity = 6/10

Seamus Wong

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 08:56:16 pm »
What I did today:

- Algo notes = 1 hour
- Accounting Questions = 2 hours
- English = 1.5 hours
- Algo Practice Sac = 1 hour
- Accounting Study = 30 minutes

6 out of 9 working hours used. Productive capacity not met

productivity = 7/10

Seamus Wong

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »
School Productivity:

Morning - 30 minutes/30 minutes used
English - was as productive as I could have been - I feel like not much really gets done in English class
Economics - listened actively to teacher, asked questions, took extra notes - good
Accounting - listened actively to teacher, asked questions - class is dumb af and the teacher always jokes with them, wasting time and pissing me off.
Free - Algo Practice SAC - 50 minutes/50 minutes productively used

Home Work:
Algo Course content reading - 60 minutes
Economics Read + Posters - 105 minutes
Algo Extra question - 15 minutes
Accounting Qns - 60 minutes

4/5 working hours used productively

Productivity today = 8.8/10

Seamus Wong

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 08:41:34 pm »
+2
Algo SAC went as good as it really could go given that it is highly dependent on critical and anlaytical thinking rather than theory (which I spent A LOT of time studying for - although it wasn't tested that much it is really good to have refreshed my knowledge and gained the deeper understanding since this will be extremely beneficial in the exam.

What I did today at school:
- 9:00-10:10 ALGO SAC
- 10:20-11:00 Accounting class: Just sat and listened to other peoples questions so I could refresh some of my knowledge - I had no energy to start doing more textbook questions

What I did at home:
- Algorithmics Study: 90 minutes
- Accounting Questions: 120 minutes
- Algorithmics Notes: 60 minutes
- Accounting Questions: 75 minutes
- English: 60 minutes

6/7 working hours used productively
productivity - wasted a bit of time watching a YouTube video for 20 minutes - was interesting but not really the right time to watch - 8.5/10

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:45:25 pm by Seamus Wong »

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 08:52:16 pm »
+2

What I did at home:
- Algorithmics Study: 90 minutes
- Accounting Questions: 120 minutes
- Algorithmics Notes: 60 minutes
- Accounting Questions: 75 minutes
- English: 60 minutes

6/7 working hours used productively
productivity - wasted a bit of time watching a YouTube video for 20 minutes - was interesting but not really the right time to watch - 8.5/10

dude that is insane amount of hours studying.  gosh . . .

I only do max 2.5 hours a night till I drop dead but you my man keep goin  ;)

99+ ATAR?
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Seamus Wong

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2019, 10:33:11 pm »
+3
School Work

Free - Accounting qns - 1.5 hours

Class - Accounting - Teacher just went over some fundamental knowledge - it was really good revision actually, since sometimes we forget about the basics. I need to improve my ability to answer exactly what the question asks and just get to the point: This is the structure I will now follow:  1. Answer the question immediately (The assessor will like this since they know that I know the answer) 2. Delve into the main points that support the answer (Making sure not to go too in-depth, but deep enough to show I understand why the answer is what it is - some inference is involved) 3. Conclude if necessary 

Free - Re-read over some feedback for Accounting Questions, did another question - 60 minutes

Lunch - Didn't do anything, just ate food

Class - English - Just did some revision of metalanguage and did a little quiz - was actually a productive class for once

Class - Economics - Went over the Current Account and Financial & Capital Account - Asked questions - wrote some extra notes - very good lesson

Home Work

Accounting Study - went over all content: I know all the theory, I know how to do all financial recording and reports and also how to analyse financial indicators and draw conclusion about a firms performance in terms of liquidity and its effectiveness in managing inventory - 3 hours

Algorithmics Assignment Pt.2 Planning - 1 hour

English Reading - 30 mins 

Productivity = 9/10

Seamus Wong

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2019, 10:18:42 pm »
+3
Had one class today - Accounting

Had sac for it

Sac was good in that it asked challenging questions that I had previously already practiced and received feedback for. Time limit was very tight - no one in the class had time to check over their work, which is a shame because I'm sure if I had an extra 5 minutes I could've ensured I didn't make any silly errors.

Rode my bike and got a HSP afterwards and chilled for a bit
Got home at 1:00 - Napped for 1 hour.

Economics Notes + Writing posters + Revision - 2.5 hours
Gym - 1.5 hours + Eat = 2 hours (should've worked out later at night like I usually do so I don't get tired when I'm studying afterwards.
Pre-reading for next accounting Topic - 1.5 hours
Algorithmics - 1.5 hours

Not happy - I shouldn't have gone to gym so early - I was not as efficient with my study due to fatigue. Will never go to gym before 9:00 PM again. 

Productivity = 8/10

Seamus Wong

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 01:58:40 am »
+2
School:

- Algorithmics 60 minutes
- Free: English - did nothing cos I was brain dead and needed more time
- Economics - Wasted 2.5 hours at a school trip to a bank - Really pissed off about this cos we really don't have any time to waste in year 12, especially with a content heavy subject like economics

Stuff:

- English - Got a practice SAQ SAC which I must revise for and complete tomorrow - Revision in the morning for 60 minutes and then SAC in evening
- Hung out for too long with friends - one of them got a new car so we just chilled and talked about the car for like one hour -
- Got home and had the biggest head ache

Home:

Slept - 1 hour

Algorithmics - 2 hours
Economics Reading - 1.5 hours

Productivity @ school - 2/10 (not my fault)
Productivity @ home - 8/10 (Good productivity considering I wasn't feeling well - Would've been better if I got home earlier and got more work done instead of wasting time hanging out with my friends)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2019, 07:27:36 am »
+3
Love this productivity thing you're doing!
Sounds like a great way to keep yourself accountable!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:11:07 am by JadeRhoden »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Seamus Wong

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2019, 09:01:10 pm »
+2
woke up at 10:00 today after going to sleep late last night - didn't really adversely impact me at all, just because I knew that me waking up later wasn't due to any sort of bad habit - e.g. laziness, being on phone at night, watching movie night before, etc.

What I did Today:

English Revise All Metalanguage AOS 2: Formal Language - 60 minutes
English Notes + Essay Paragraph on the use of formal language in obfuscating and manipulating - 90 minutes
Algorithmics Notes - 90 minutes
Accounting writing up posters and doing qns for new topic - 120 minutes

6/9 working hours used - I know that 1 whole hour went to playing Minecraft - no regrets tho - and the rest of my time was wasted doing nothing really. I must improve my dynamic efficiency - only leaving my studies to eat or use the bathroom.

Productivity = 8/10 - I did get a fair bit of work done but I could've easily fit in 1 hour of Economics and another hour of English.

- gotta workout now - chest, shoulders, Biceps
- will write some algorithms later for Algorithmics - shouldn't be too mentally straining (will do it for 1 hour until my head can no longer function)