Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:31:47 am

Author Topic: [Ask Me Anything] #3: jamonwindeyer  (Read 21480 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: [Ask Me Anything] #3: jamonwindeyer
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 11:04:06 pm »
+2
How was your day today? :)

Busy! Woke up at 5:30am to get on the road by 6:00 (2 hours to Uni in the Sydney traffic), at Uni from 9:00am-9:00 pm, only got home 20 minutes ago ;) but very productive thanks! ;)

As someone who can't look at Ohm's law without getting palpitations, I commend you on choosing electrical engineering! Why that over the other streams?

And it only goes downhill from there ;)

To be honest, I was leaning more towards Civil initially. But I went to a Civil Engineering lecture at UTS Open Day and was bored senseless (nothing against anyone, not my thing). I walked out of the room and Electrical Engineering was in the lecture theatre next door. Rest is history ;)

I'd considered Electrical before then of course, but I never really know what it was about! That lecture showed me just how broad it was, just how much you could do with it, which was really attractive to me. I'm really into my Math, which helps immensely with some of the disgusting things I'm asked to do for some of these subjects. Plus, I've always been into my technology. Once I'd made the decision to go to Electrical, it just seemed very natural. Should have been my aim from the get go ;D

Perhaps it is an electrifying experience?  ;)
Spoiler
I'll show myself out

You win this thread  ;D

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 06:46:10 pm »
+2
Here's a few more questions for you, Jamon.
1. What's your best study tip, particularly for younger students?
2. What's your favourite motivational quote?
3. Would you rather live in the ocean or live in the sky, if both were habitable and just as equally accessible?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 10:40:07 pm »
+1
Here's a few more questions for you, Jamon.
1. What's your best study tip, particularly for younger students?
2. What's your favourite motivational quote?
3. Would you rather live in the ocean or live in the sky, if both were habitable and just as equally accessible?

1. Practice, Practice, Practice. It's boring, but it works ;) also, record video lessons after big sections of content (or whatever), then watch them back for revision! Who better to teach you, then yourself? ;)

2. Succesful people don't try to succeed. They work hard and then succeed on purpose.

Or alternatively, for a chuckle, this gem supposedly from Einstein:

Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe.

3. I would definitely much prefer to live in the sky. The oceans got some pretty messed up stuff ;)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:08 pm »
Jamon, do you have any advice for students struggling to stay motivated toward the back end of their VCE/HSC?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 04:18:29 pm »
+1
Jamon, do you have any advice for students struggling to stay motivated toward the back end of their VCE/HSC?

I'd say to keep some specific goals in mind. ATAR goals, degree goals. Even just mini personal goals, either immediate (EG - I'm going to do a past paper this morning) or long term (I want to do every Math past paper from this decade before the exam). The point being, give yourself specific targets and goals to meet and achieve. If you lacking motivation, you can't just fly "on a whim," you need to have achievable tasks and reasons that you want to achieve them.

Having a long term goal is best to keep yourself feeling optimistic. Many people would have degree goals by now, do some research into those degrees! Go to Open Days! Immerse yourself, and remind yourself why you are still doing the HSC in the first place. Everyone has a reason, find yours ;D

Adequace

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 7-1 never forget.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 05:36:43 pm »
Do you like union or league better, and why??

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 07:25:39 pm »
Do you like union or league better, and why??

League ;D grew up watching it with the family, I'd probably be into Union given the opportunity :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 08:44:26 pm »
First off VCE students you are so lucky you can do pyschology in Yr 11/12.

Secondly, I would just like to ask you how much time did you actually spend studying? Be honest, and take the hour/s of "books out but on youtube" procrastination please.
Also where did you study, how did you do it, and did you make it fun or was it horrible but you just suffered through it. As a HSC student (soooo much better than Melbourne lol- would prefer not to have 4 seasons in one day) i would like to know these!

Thanks for the help!

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 08:47:31 pm »
+5
As a HSC student (soooo much better than Melbourne lol- would prefer not to have 4 seasons in one day) i would like to know these!
Ok you really didnt have to throw that shade it had nothing to do with your question whatsoever.

At least in our physics subjects we don't have to talk about sociology ;)
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 09:12:55 pm »
I didnt know your HSC backstory, but thats so 'cool' (for lack of a better word right now) that you smashed the HSC despite the """"disadvantages"""" and people being little shits when you talked to them. Your ATAR was so good,and you managed to rank in the state for legal, i had just assumed you went to the school that ranked pretty high. I now get why you're so quick to bust any school rank rumours  :)
i wish that you had been able to personally rub your atar in that stuents nose (because im petty like that hahaha)

Anyway, Formal is getting closer, and i wanted to know how yours was? Did you take a date? Did your tie match her dress? hahaha

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 09:18:40 pm »
First off VCE students you are so lucky you can do pyschology in Yr 11/12.

Secondly, I would just like to ask you how much time did you actually spend studying? Be honest, and take the hour/s of "books out but on youtube" procrastination please.
Also where did you study, how did you do it, and did you make it fun or was it horrible but you just suffered through it. As a HSC student (soooo much better than Melbourne lol- would prefer not to have 4 seasons in one day) i would like to know these!

Thanks for the help!

Hmm, I probably spent between 20-30 hours extra time doing school work during an average week (during term). That was homework, assignments, and study (it was about 2-3 hours a night during the week and then about 5-6 hours per day on weekends, something like that). Not much of that was Youtube filled, but if I'm doing easy homework then yeah I might have had a video on in the background :) In September and October, I did 9 hours a day fairly consistently (3 past papers per day was always my goal). I was a bit nuts ;)

Studied at my desk almost all of the time, sometimes I'd relax and go out to the Kitchen table or even just sit on the lounge while writing notes, or whatever. Never went to the Library much, though when I did, it was actually really good. Maybe I should have done it more often ;D

I've written heaps about the ways I studied, I tried so many I barely remember them all. Past papers heaps. Writing study notes. Recording video lessons to myself (which I dropped off later in the year, but they worked really well while I had the time, I wish I kept them going). Lots and lots of stuff, but in the HSC period it was all practice papers. It did suck a bit at times, but I was motivated to succeed, it got me through ;D

At least in our physics subjects we don't have to talk about sociology ;)

Another reason why VCE Science is way better than HSC Science: At least until the syllabus changes in 2019 ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »
I didnt know your HSC backstory, but thats so 'cool' (for lack of a better word right now) that you smashed the HSC despite the """"disadvantages"""" and people being little shits when you talked to them. Your ATAR was so good,and you managed to rank in the state for legal, i had just assumed you went to the school that ranked pretty high. I now get why you're so quick to bust any school rank rumours  :)
i wish that you had been able to personally rub your atar in that stuents nose (because im petty like that hahaha)

Anyway, Formal is getting closer, and i wanted to know how yours was? Did you take a date? Did your tie match her dress? hahaha

Ahaha thanks for saying so! It's okay, I don't consider myself a petty person, but I would have loved to do that too, just this once ;)

My Year 12 formal was really cool! It was at a really fancy place whose name eludes me, food was amaze, music was fantastic, we got our Principal to dance with us which was fabulous. It was nice to just hang out with them as human beings and friends rather than teachers and authority figures ;D

I did indeed take my girlfriend (together 4 years at the time, 5.5 years now) and yes, my tie matched her dress ;) buying that tie was a bloody nightmare mind you, her dress was this weird pink colour, and literally no-one had this colour in a tie. We went to three different shopping centres before we found a match. It was like an $80 tie, but at that point I didn't care ;)

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 10:04:20 pm »

Another reason why VCE Science is way better than HSC Science: At least until the syllabus changes in 2019 ;)
Tbh looked at one of your exams on the BOS site, as well as the question thread, I really like the difficulty of the questions. They're harder than the VCE ones and the concepts explored are really cool (more in-depth than vce)
Also - the part with the medical physics and stuff? I'd love to do that they're so cool!

but put in sociology and that outweighs all the positives tbh :(
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:30 pm »
+1
Tbh looked at one of your exams on the BOS site, as well as the question thread, I really like the difficulty of the questions. They're harder than the VCE ones and the concepts explored are really cool (more in-depth than vce)
Also - the part with the medical physics and stuff? I'd love to do that they're so cool!

but put in sociology and that outweighs all the positives tbh :(

I totally agree, I'd love to see HSC concepts explored in the more mathematical framework of VCE! I love the HSC content, just not how they test our knowledge of it. Like, how much easier would my degree have been at the start if they taught us about circuit analysis properly in Year 11? I take issue with the huge jump between HSC Physics and Tertiary Physics :P

I did Medical Physics, some of the most interesting stuff I've ever studied, and actually fairly technical! ;D

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 11:07:30 pm »
If you had to permaban one natmod who would it be? #beef :P