Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:08:20 am

Author Topic: Help me stay on track with rehab!  (Read 2549 times)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Help me stay on track with rehab!
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:36:25 pm »
+18
Hey guys!

About 2 months ago I had hip surgery and I'm currently doing rehab for it so I can get back to being active and hopefully start playing soccer again! I played my last game in October 2016 and since then I've had two hip surgeries, so I've been out for a while. I think I definitely feel better about doing rehab this time around compared to how I felt after my first surgery. I feel a whole lot more keen to get back and I have a bit more faith in my ability to do so. There's always gonna be a voice in the back of my mind being like "what if you get injured again" but you've gotta risk it to get the biscuit, I guess ;)

I want to use this thread to keep me motivated and disciplined in doing my exercises each day, because it's super easy to slack off. Hoping I'll be able to provide you guys with updates as I progress along! :)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Help me stay on track with rehab!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:40 pm »
+3
Hey guys!

About 2 months ago I had hip surgery and I'm currently doing rehab for it so I can get back to being active and hopefully start playing soccer again! I played my last game in October 2016 and since then I've had two hip surgeries, so I've been out for a while. I think I definitely feel better about doing rehab this time around compared to how I felt after my first surgery. I feel a whole lot more keen to get back and I have a bit more faith in my ability to do so. There's always gonna be a voice in the back of my mind being like "what if you get injured again" but you've gotta risk it to get the biscuit, I guess ;)

I want to use this thread to keep me motivated and disciplined in doing my exercises each day, because it's super easy to slack off. Hoping I'll be able to provide you guys with updates as I progress along! :)
Go K8!  ;D
Sounds like a great idea and i wish you luck in your journey.
Honestly i can relate so much in terms of the voice in the back of your head. I find physically out loud "shut up" to myself works. Idk why though  :P

Keen to hear about the updates!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:13:24 pm »
Best of luck with this!
I'll be checking regularly as I'm going through something similar haha

Is it a strange experience to be both a patient and a physio student at the same time!?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:18:02 pm »
+4
Go K8!  ;D
Sounds like a great idea and i wish you luck in your journey.
Honestly i can relate so much in terms of the voice in the back of your head. I find physically out loud "shut up" to myself works. Idk why though  :P

Keen to hear about the updates!  :)
Thanks Mada! It's honestly just about learning how to tune out that voice in your head, I reckon.

Best of luck with this!
I'll be checking regularly as I'm going through something similar haha

Is it a strange experience to be both a patient and a physio student at the same time!?
Thanks! Hope things are going well for you :)

I don't really find it strange, to be honest - if anything, it improves both the experience of being a patient and a student for me. I mean, I've already done rehab for my other hip in first year, but it's really cool knowing more about your body than the average person when you're going to the physio, it's nice to have the physio speak to me in physio terms and teach me stuff, and being a patient will make me an even better physio because I'll understand exactly where my patients are coming from. I'm all set haha

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:28:41 pm »
+3
you've gotta risk it to get the biscuit, I guess ;)

What's your favourite biscuit? If you can successfully risk it, I'll shout a pack ;)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00:25 pm »
+1
Fortune favours the brave!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:25 pm »
+1
As someone who had to retire from sports due to a multiple recurring injury I know that feeling.

That  voice / feeling  in the back of your mind telling you to be cautious will never likely go away and your coach will probably notice a change in your playstyle and say you're being overly cautious etc. it's just something that happens so bear with it one step at a time, you'll  have to adjust your game to compensate for the reduction in speed and physicality. Could mean a new position being learned.

Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:12:49 pm »
+4
As someone who had to retire from sports due to a multiple recurring injury I know that feeling.

That  voice / feeling  in the back of your mind telling you to be cautious will never likely go away and your coach will probably notice a change in your playstyle and say you're being overly cautious etc. it's just something that happens so bear with it one step at a time, you'll  have to adjust your game to compensate for the reduction in speed and physicality. Could mean a new position being learned.

Yeah, I know it well. I've already had a shoulder reconstruction and now these two hip surgeries, so I have been the comeback kid in the past already haha.

My physio is hopeful that with the surgeries fixing up my injuries and making a few structural changes that I'll actually get to a better level than I was at previously, because (ideally) my muscles will be stronger and biomechanics better, so I won't have to be compensating for all the things I had to compensate for previously. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! :)

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 09:17:15 pm »
+3
Yeah that sounds like promising news. Lucky you've remained injury free in your legs so you should recover well.

In my case it was recurring ankle problems which were really bad  so inetivably I wouldn't come back stronger each time unfortunately.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »
+5
So, I went back to the physio this week and we've added another exercise into my program. I'm finding it quite challenging and tiring and to be honest I'm still sore from doing it on Wednesday haha but hopefully it really helps with building my glutes back up. But, it's ultimately meaning that I'm making progress so that's great.

I've had a bit of a downer week in terms of mindset - I started getting caught up on how much longer it's gonna take me to get back and started questioning again whether I'd actually be able to get back at all, which wasn't great. Like, even minor stuff like not being able to run if I'm gonna miss a train or something or if I need to get somewhere quickly, that gets disheartening. Plus, I've been a bit sore (and tired from being sick) this week, and pain is an easy way to get you down, plus being tired makes it easy to make excuses to not do your exercises (when you really shouldn't be skipping them).

It's just important to keep on chugging along, I guess, and keep on believing in myself - I'm sure my motivation will pick up again soon. It's a long road, but it'll be worth it.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 05:15:41 pm »
+9
Update time! I hit 4 months post-op the other day, and things are going really well ;D I saw my physio on Monday and they're really pleased with how I'm going. This is easily the best rehab program I've done after surgery in terms of how I'm doing and my adherence to the program.

I'm at the stage of being solidly into gym work which is really cool - it's so much easier to adhere to a rehab program when you have to go to a particular place to do your exercises (and when you have a housemate who goes to the gym with you!).
I'm finding all my exercises a lot more engaging than the ones I did for my other hip and I love that my physio keeps me engaged by talking about the technical aspects of the exercise rather than just dumbing it down or whatever.

Provided things go well over the next few weeks, I should be able to start a bit of running in about 6 weeks! My mindset is the best it's been in months, and I'm loving finally being able to work up a sweat again and get those endorphins going - it's such a great feeling