VCE Stuff > VIC Year 10 Discussion

Year 10 trying to ACE VCE

(1/2) > >>

Blueivy_2000:
Hey there,
I'm in year 10 at the moment and am aiming to get the highest ATAR possible which would allow me to get into my desired course in uni (undergraduate medicine, theres ALOT of competition). It would also be awesome if anyone could advice me on the kinds of subjects I should do and what chance I have with these subjects to get into undergraduate med.
There are so many choices and decisions to make and one is expected to make them at such a young age so I could really REALLY use some advice on study and subject choices

Is there was anything I could do now which will pay off when year 12 comes and I'm doing exams.
Should I just not stress and focus on the present?
How many hours could I be studying per night?

The subjects I'm considering to do in year 11 are:
- English Lit / I can do Lag too but I'm not sure (1/2)
- Maths Methods (1/2)
- Chem (1/2)
- Biology (3/4)
- Physics (1/2)
- I either want to do a language and continue to 3/4 in year 12 or drop it in year 12 and do a uni extension? I'm not too sure

I'm quite interested in PE and humanities subjects although this is not something I want to pursue.

Should mention that my "best" subject is probably English. Should also mention, for further detail- not all that important, that I am a student at John Monash Science School; and travel all the way from Point Cook to attend the school (1.5 hour travel!)

Edit 1: This is kind of important, but I want to get a headstart right now while I have this much free time.

Thankyou very much
Any reply would be HIGHLY appreciated

quinn_03:

--- Quote from: Blueivy_2000 on July 25, 2017, 11:07:40 am ---Hey there,
I'm in year 10 at the moment and am aiming to get the highest ATAR possible which would allow me to get into my desired course in uni (undergraduate medicine, theres ALOT of competition). It would also be awesome if anyone could advice me on the kinds of subjects I should do and what chance I have with these subjects to get into undergraduate med.
There are so many choices and decisions to make and one is expected to make them at such a young age so I could really REALLY use some advice on study and subject choices

Is there was anything I could do now which will pay off when year 12 comes and I'm doing exams.

- Maths Methods (1/2)
- Chem (1/2)
- Biology (3/4)
- Physics (1/2)
- I either want to do a language and continue to 3/4 in year 12 or drop it in year 12 and do a uni extension? I'm not too sure

I'm quite interested in PE and humanities subjects although this is not something I want to pursue.

Should mention that my "best" subject is probably English. Should also mention, for further detail- not all that important, that I am a student at John Monash Science School; and travel all the way from Point Cook to attend the school (1.5 hour travel!)

Edit 1: This is kind of important, but I want to get a headstart right now while I have this much free time.

Thankyou very much

--- End quote ---

This sounds familiar. I'm in Year 9 but I'm a little obsessed with VCE and HEY YOU'RE AT JM I'M TRYING OUT THIS YEAR??!!  ::) ::)
The subjects I'm planning to do are Bio in Year 10, Chem, Psych, English, Lit and Methods. Sorry I can't be of much help since I haven't actually started VCE, but remember that you'll also have to do UMAT (i.e. the devil) and maybe you could also look into the Monash Guarantee if you're planning to go to Monash for med to see if you fit into the requirements? They can adjust the entry atar for you if you have financial disadvantage, etc.

Quantum44:

- Maths Methods (1/2)
- Chem (1/2)
- Biology (3/4)
- Physics (1/2)

Thankyou very much

--- End quote ---

Your subjects look good at the moment. There's not really a lot you need to do right now, just enjoy your last months of freedom from VCE. In the summer holidays you should get a headstart on biology and put the most effort you can into bio while staying on top of your 1/2s. If you are good at English that will help for bio as well, since it is quite a writing intensive subject.

Literature is a difficult subject (did Lit 1/2 last year) but definitely worthwhile if you enjoy English. Methods, chem and physics are pretty standard.

For your last subject, the scaling of a language could be very useful for your ATAR. Although if you are passionate about one of your subjects, a uni extension would also work well.

In year 10 I'd say 1-2 hours a night is good. That could be bumped up to 2-3 hours a night in year 11, and obviously more in the lead up to the exams.

If you want a headstart in any of your subjects, get a tutor, get the textbook and just work through the content.

Joseph41:
Hey Blueivy! :)) How's your week been?

I'm in year 10 at the moment and am aiming to get the highest ATAR possible
--- End quote ---

Nice - even posting this suggests you're on the right track. :)

--- Quote ---which would allow me to get into my desired course in uni (undergraduate medicine, theres ALOT of competition).
--- End quote ---

A lot of competition, true, but if you think about it, there are also a lot of people who get in. :) And lots of them use the ATAR Notes Forums regularly. ;)

--- Quote ---It would also be awesome if anyone could advice me on the kinds of subjects I should do and what chance I have with these subjects to get into undergraduate med.
--- End quote ---

My initial thought: what subjects do you genuinely enjoy?

Is Methods still a pre-req for Med at Monash? Others will know better than I, here, but that's certainly something to consider.

Otherwise, the question is really how will you best score a 99+ ATAR?

The answer is this: do what you enjoy. Why? Think about it.

It's all well and good to choose subjects that you think are prestigious, or that scale well, or that your friends are taking. But in two years from now (July of Year 12), how are you going to keep motivated? I scored well into the 99s, and the only subject I did that scaled up was English Language (by like, one point). Had I chosen Chem and Spesh and whatever else - even though they scale really nicely - there's no way I would have scored what I did.

It's all about pursuing your passions and doing what you enjoy. If you're enjoying your subjects, you'll study more effectively. If you study more effectively, you'll get better grades.

And more generally, it'll be better for you as a person. :)

--- Quote ---There are so many choices and decisions to make and one is expected to make them at such a young age so I could really REALLY use some advice on study and subject choices
--- End quote ---

No doubt - I definitely feel those feels!

Regarding subject choices, I highly recommend this thread here. I'm sure it'll be relevant for you at the moment! :))

--- Quote ---Is there was anything I could do now which will pay off when year 12 comes and I'm doing exams.
--- End quote ---

Choose subjects you enjoy, make sure you select any pre-requisite subjects for your course, and otherwise try to enjoy life. Try not to stress too much about academics. :)

--- Quote ---Should I just not stress and focus on the present?
--- End quote ---

That's really the ideal situation for every person at every point in time haha. But yeah, that sounds a great plan to me. :D

--- Quote ---How many hours could I be studying per night?
--- End quote ---

You could be studying many hours per night!

But really, that would be ridiculous - particularly several years out from Year 12. In Year 10 I honestly don't think I studied much at all. Do the work - don't get me wrong. Make sure you get all of your assignments in on time, and try hard for your exams. But there's no need to study to a detrimental level right now (nor is there ever).

The best thing you can possibly do is to keep yourself fresh, engaged and happy. :)

--- Quote ---The subjects I'm considering to do in year 11 are:
- Maths Methods (1/2)
- Chem (1/2)
- Biology (3/4)
- Physics (1/2)
--- End quote ---

Nice! This looks like a great set with a mind for Medicine later on. :)

No need to worry too much about the language/uni extension thing at the moment, really. Why not do 1/2 of a language next year and see how much you enjoy it/what the workload is like?

What language are you considering? :)

--- Quote ---I'm quite interested in PE and humanities subjects although this is not something I want to pursue.
--- End quote ---

More interested than the other subjects listed above?

--- Quote ---Should mention that my "best" subject is probably English. Should also mention, for further detail- not all that important, that I am a student at John Monash Science School; and travel all the way from Point Cook to attend the school (1.5 hour travel!)
--- End quote ---

What's the rationale for Lit over English, then?

--- Quote ---Edit 1: This is kind of important, but I want to get a headstart right now while I have this much free time.
--- End quote ---

Definitely understandable, and a great attitude!

I'll leave methods of getting ahead to others (perhaps skimming some textbooks and doing a few practice questions?), but I will say this: there's no need to rush it. VCE courses are designed to be learnt in a year. You have an abundance of time - everything will be okay. :))

--- Quote ---Thankyou very much

--- End quote ---

I hope some of this was at least somewhat helpful, haha. It's really great to have you contributing in the community. Let us know how your thoughts progress! Can't wait to see you around. :D

K888:
I would upvote Joseph41's post 100 times if I could :D Some absolute quality advice there!!

--- Quote from: Joseph41 on July 25, 2017, 06:34:23 pm ---Is Methods still a pre-req for Med at Monash? Others will know better than I, here, but that's certainly something to consider.

--- End quote ---
Can confirm that Methods is no longer a pre-req for Monash Med :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version