Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:07:15 am

Author Topic: All 3 sciences = good idea??  (Read 8698 times)  Share 

~Asuna~

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
All 3 sciences = good idea??
« on: May 28, 2016, 06:52:26 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

I'm in year 10 and wondering if doing all three sciences (4, if psych counts) is a good idea. I need chem, really like bio and doing VCE physics unit 2 later this year but physics is meh. My sisters tells me that physics is something really needed for medicine and it really helped her or something.

Are all of those subjects + methods and English too much pressure??

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: All 3 sciences = good idea??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »
Doing 3 sciences is commonplace in many schools, definitely not a problem. Although can't say I'd recommend VCE physics, it's definitely not necessary for undergraduate-entry medicine, although can help with the GAMSAT for those seeking graduate-entry medicine (debatable how much one retains from VCE physics when they sit the GAMSAT 2-3 years later though).

Personally, I'd try and knock off one of the subjects in Year 11 too, ideally Biology or Psych as they're said to be content-heavy subjects with a fair bit of memorisation perfect for a monotonous Year 11.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:29:48 pm by pi »

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:37 pm »
i don't think it would be too much pressure...i mean i did exactly all those subjects last year - except instead of english i did lit (which is a little more work/time)
and instead of biology we have human biology in perth, and instead of psych i did accounting...but around about the same workload.
it completely depends on you and what you think you can cope with. there are people who only do 4 ATAR subjects and some that do 7 in a year (and i don't mean over 2 years...some people literally do 7 3/4s in year 12)
your in year 10, so u could do them all if u want to and trial it..then maybe drop one if it's too much (if ur school allows that)...but it's definitely do-able :)

hope this helps :)
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

~Asuna~

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 11:32:12 pm »
Doing 3 sciences is commonplace in many schools, definitely not a problem. Although can't say I'd recommend VCE physics, it's definitely not necessary for undergraduate-entry medicine, although can help with the GAMSAT for those seeking graduate-entry medicine (debatable how much one retains from VCE physics when they sit the GAMSAT 2-3 years later though).

Personally, I'd try and knock off one of the subjects in Year 11 too, ideally Biology or Psych as they're said to be content-heavy subjects with a fair bit of memorisation perfect for a monotonous Year 11.

Thanks for your answer!! Yeah, she did GAMSAT and she said she needed it for that. I guess I could always learn the physics when the time comes? I'm setting myself up so I can do physics 3&4 or bio 3&4 next year to get them done with, so I don't think the memorising will be too much of a problem in the long run.

i don't think it would be too much pressure...i mean i did exactly all those subjects last year - except instead of english i did lit (which is a little more work/time)
and instead of biology we have human biology in perth, and instead of psych i did accounting...but around about the same workload.
it completely depends on you and what you think you can cope with. there are people who only do 4 ATAR subjects and some that do 7 in a year (and i don't mean over 2 years...some people literally do 7 3/4s in year 12)
your in year 10, so u could do them all if u want to and trial it..then maybe drop one if it's too much (if ur school allows that)...but it's definitely do-able :)

hope this helps :)

It did help, thank you!

HughMungus

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • I only know pi to 5 decimal places :(
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 01:57:46 am »
I agree with pi in regards to physics being pretty much useless outside VCE and to an extent, so is biology. A significant percentage of my batch has not done either lol. Sem 1 mbbs is y12 biol anyways. But by all means do them if they interest you as in the end all that matters is your experience with VCE to be a positive one :)
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.” ~Mewtwo

Monash Doctor (2021 -2022)
Monash BMedSci/MD (Class of 2020)
VCE(Baccalaureat)- 2015

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
All 3 sciences = good idea??
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 08:29:49 am »
+1
I did bio last year and I'm doing physics, psychology, (methods, English language,) and chemistry this year. I personally love it, and my bio knowledge has a lot of links to what I am learning now, which helps me understand the concepts faster than my peers.

I would also say judge physics on whether you find it understandable or not, and on how interesting you find it. (If you want to get an idea of some of the stuff that's covered look up 1D kinematics. )

One thing you do need to be aware of is that there will be different ways of answering questions based on what subject it is asked in. You need to be aware of the requirements of each study design and tailor your answers to that.