Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:23:28 pm

Author Topic: Anxiety and sleep  (Read 1001 times)  Share 

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
Anxiety and sleep
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:06:26 pm »
Hi!! I'm not sure where I'm supposed to post this, and I feel bad that I'm posting about stress instead of something positive. But I've had a problem this past week and I don't know where else to talk about it so  :(

I'm in Year 12, and for some reason, since just over a week ago I've been experiencing panic attacks and constant anxiety for no reason at all. Every night I struggle to sleep and when I do fall asleep, I can't STAY asleep. I've been going to school heavy-headed, dizzy, fatigued, not being able to see properly, and with a constant never-ending feeling of anxiousness in my chest that I cannot rid. I don't know why this is happening, maybe because of upcoming exams, but it's making it harder for me to study, which is making me more stressed. I feel horrible. I'm legit having fears that this won't go away, that I'll never sleep peacefully again, that I won't ever feel refreshed and ready to learn like i used to. I don't know what to do :(.

I'm kinda embarrassed to say all this but I really need help. Thank you for even reading this ://
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Anxiety and sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:13:34 pm »
+16
Hi, Razeen :)

I'm just going to start off by saying that you should never feel bad about asking for help. Not everything is positive, and that's okay.

I think the most important thing for you to do is see a doctor as soon as you can. They're medical professionals, so they're more than qualified to help you -- they can do more for you than any of us can. They'll be able to help you fix it. In the meantime, you can probably tire yourself out with exercise, listen to some relaxing music, or make your room smell nice (essential oils or other pleasant aromas). Again, though, a doctor is the only way to go here, so please do so as soon as possible :)

It might be handy to write out your worries on a piece of paper -- just to get it out of your head and actually be able to see what's going on.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:48:09 pm »
+3
Hi, Razeen :)

I'm just going to start off by saying that you should never feel bad about asking for help. Not everything is positive, and that's okay.

I think the most important thing for you to do is see a doctor as soon as you can. They're medical professionals, so they're more than qualified to help you -- they can do more for you than any of us can. They'll be able to help you fix it. In the meantime, you can probably tire yourself out with exercise, listen to some relaxing music, or make your room smell nice (essential oils or other pleasant aromas). Again, though, a doctor is the only way to go here, so please do so as soon as possible :)

It might be handy to write out your worries on a piece of paper -- just to get it out of your head and actually be able to see what's going on.

Thank you for this!! Bless ATARNotes. Like actually. : ‘)
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

hi.itsjessi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:22:59 am »
+4
I'm just going to reply to this because of how strongly this speaks out to me- especially as someone who has had bad anxiety problems for the majority of my adolescence... and it's the worst feeling. There's muscle tension, chest pains, your mind refusing to be reasonable and the worst thing is the rising heart rate and it gets to the point where you cant hear anything above the sound of your pulse. You aren't alone and I completely understand how you feel. I went to see a therapist to help with my anxiety for about a year but in all honesty, nothing really changed for me. I've got it under control for the most part but every now and then it just washes over me it's the worst.

Whenever I get panic attacks, there's things  i like to do. I look around and I find 5 things I can see, 4 things i can hear, 3 things i can feel, 2 things I can smell and 1 thing i can taste. It really helps me to feel like I'm back in control of my surroundings. I think of 3 things I'm grateful for, I chew gum because it distracts me (weird i know right?) I cling onto my friends because having that physical reassurance that they're there really relaxes me, I drink tea, I picked up taekwondo again, I work out and... I also sleep :)

Remember that your feelings are valid and you don't have to apologise for feeling like this. You deserve to be ok and remember prioritise yourself- dont sacrifice your mental health for the sake of perfect grades. I know you'll make it through.

I wish you all the best <3