Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:39:39 pm

Author Topic: URGENT - How do I write an article/argument analysis?  (Read 5071 times)

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
URGENT - How do I write an article/argument analysis?
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:58 pm »
I have to do an article/argument analysis... I was away when the teacher explained what it is and how to do it and I have the resources to do it, but literally NO idea/understanding of what it means!  :o :( I've attached an article much like the one we have to analyse... please someone help me!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:45:20 pm by tomatosauce »
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: URGENT - How do I write an article analysis?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:41:42 pm »
+5
I have to do an article analysis (under SAC conditions)... I was away when the teacher explained what it is and how to do it and I have the resources to do it, but literally NO idea/understanding of what it means!  :o :( I've attached an article much like the one we have to analyse... please someone help me!
Hey!
Sooo i presume you're trying to find a stance to argue regarding the article? (So an English essay?)
Well what we do up in NSW is......
Pretty much read the article and find the points it makes. Do you agree with its overall point? Or Not?
Either way you then have to prove why you have made this stance. Convince people that your point is valid
Look for certain quotes and/or techniques that you can manipulate in order to further your own argument. If something does not further your argument, then don't include. Only include things that emphasize YOUR point

Keep in mind this from a NSW perspective, i don't know how you guys go about doing things down in Victoria
Hope this helps!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
Thanks Mada... very helpful! I don't think the state makes much difference, whats more... this is all I know so I'll use it no matter where it came from! :D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:49:03 pm by tomatosauce »
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020:

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:17:28 pm »
+8
I think the "article analysis" you're talking about is essentially what VCE students called the "language analysis task", so you can check out the way VCE students in mainstream English to guide you, like the Language Analysis part of this thread.

Essentially the gist of it is: you're trying to understand how and why this article is persuasive and, like Mada438 said, you're aiming to understand the stance. Things that instantly pop out to me are things like:
- heavy use of second person
- reliance on rhetorical questions and
- informal language.
Why do they use this? What effect does this have on you as a reader? How does this help to push their points forward? These are all questions you have to ask yourself and organise into your final essay. Organising your thoughts into several major ideas generally helps to write each paragraph, as often these articles have several ideas rolled into one and subsequently provide evidence for each idea (which you will have to do as well). 

I will be honest here and admit I haven't done one since I was in Year 10 myself, so best to check out the appropriate VCE resources and hopefully someone else who has done VCE English (mainstream) will respond as well. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
Re: URGENT - How do I write an article/argument analysis?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:13:02 pm »
Thank-you so much for this AngelWings! :D
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020:

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »
+5
For the body paragraphs basically repeat this sequence over and over:
-Quote the evidence/persuasive line from the article
-Explain why it is persuasive / the authors intention
-The effect on readers / what it makes them think/feel/do.

For the intro you need to include:
-title
-source
-date
-author
-contention
-tone
-main persuasive techniques
-target audience
 :)

Also, instead of using the words 'makes the reader...'  or 'shows', try and memorise some different words otherwise it can get quite repetitive.
For example:
-positions the reader to feel
-emphasizes
-demonstrates
-compels
-portrays/characterises .. as
-suggests
-implies
-prompts
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:36:17 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:39 am »
+1
Thank-you so much OwlBird! This will be a big help today!
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020:

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 05:18:59 pm »
So my class done an assessment on this and I though I knew what I was doing but the I got my mark and feedback and my teacher said that I wasn't explaining how the visual (there was a photograph in the article) affected the audience. How am I supposed to describe this?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 08:20:07 pm »
+3
So my class done an assessment on this and I though I knew what I was doing but the I got my mark and feedback and my teacher said that I wasn't explaining how the visual (there was a photograph in the article) affected the audience. How am I supposed to describe this?

Try to think of what the picture makes the author think, feel, do.
For example I had a visual of a criminal in an article about needing harsher jail sentences and I said something like:
The darkened image depicting (name) captures a menacing and unremorseful expression on their face, this encourages the audience to see how dangerous they are and feel scared that they are being set free. The backround of the prison cell is designed to emphasize to readers that the criminal belongs there.

Eg The image depicting the futuristic design for the new apple store, from a low angle reinforces the notion that it is innovative and will enhance the community. It portrays the building positively, encouraging the audience to to see it as benefiting Federation square, and therefore convincing them to support the building plans.

Hope this helps! ;D
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:57 pm »
+1
Try to think of what the picture makes the author think, feel, do.
For example I had a visual of a criminal in an article about needing harsher jail sentences and I said something like:
The darkened image depicting (name) captures a menacing and unremorseful expression on their face, this encourages the audience to see how dangerous they are and feel scared that they are being set free. The backround of the prison cell is designed to emphasize to readers that the criminal belongs there.

Eg The image depicting the futuristic design for the new apple store, from a low angle reinforces the notion that it is innovative and will enhance the community. It portrays the building positively, encouraging the audience to to see it as benefiting Federation square, and therefore convincing them to support the building plans.

Hope this helps! ;D
Thank you!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 06:38:54 pm »
+2

Hey Snow Leopard,
I hope I'm not too late but for me, it always helps to think about "how it positions the reader". This is the way I analyse all my quotes in essays as well as images in persuasive pieces.

I often say... "This positions the reader to..." or "This elicits... from the reader."

Hope this helps somewhat,
Laura